Speed cameras

Excuse my ignorance of mobile phone technology, but presumably this requires you to run google maps (or similar) whilst riding/driving, and does this use up your data allowance?

Logically, it will depend on the camera warning software you are using. If you have downloaded a physical map of the camera's points that allows a position to be plotted via a bog standards GPS signal picked up by your phone and that position is then compared against the map (on a Garmin device, that's exactly what they do) it would be free. You'd pay for the map of camera positions and nothing more.

If though it requires the map and the position to be both streamed in as data, it would be something quite different. Somehow I doubt it.

Last edited:
I prefer Here or Here WeGo as its known now. Android & IOS. Not Win
I dislike Google trying to take over the world

I use a mobile phone (iPhone 4S) as a satnav with the CoPilot App and UK & Ireland map downloaded from the App Store.
Maps are available to cover the Globe and are downloaded and paid for as required.
The CoPilot App and first map is free enabling you to trial the product - I chose the 'UK & Ireland' map as this would be the most frequently used for me.
When purchased, the maps remain in the Cloud for downloading as required to save memory space on your phone.

After the month's free trial I decided it could work for me.

I paid £18 to keep the Voice-Guided Navigation which also includes regular free updates (about 4 times/year) for the maps, POIs and Safety Cameras.

The advantage of using a mobile phone satnav App is that the navigation is wholly GPS based meaning that you do NOT need to have a mobile phone signal or WiFi signal for the satnav App to function.

However, you MUST have the mobile charged off the bike (12v to 5v Adapter) or the phone battery will be flattened in a couple of hours due to the continuous use of the GPS function.

It took a while before I moved to this system from using a dedicated TomTom satnav but after 3 years I am convinced it is the way to go.

The big plus is having your phone and music as an integrated part of the system.

This enables you to have an accommodation App such as Booking.com on your phone enabling you to instantly browse available local/destination accommodation and book it there and then in minutes (mobile carrier signal or WiFi required to do this).

The accommodation address can then be entered into the satnav enabling easy navigation to get you there and find Fuel Stations and eating places en route.

A Translator App can be downloaded to your phone also meaning that you will have no problems communicating your requirements when you arrive in Ulan Bator having been alerted to all the Safety Cameras on the way.

The bod is struggling with justifying £16 and now you are proposing £18, let alone all the problems with keeping a mobile phone charged and maybe even waterproof.

Not least - unlike his super GPS device - he likes his phone in his pocket, in case he gets spanked off into a ditch again, which will make looking at it a bit of a trial.

Ah, but if the bike falls on top of him he will have everything to hand including his exact location for the emergency services.

Plus, because the system is connected to his bike battery he will be able to keep in touch for hours - something he may not be able to do if he pulls the phone from his pocket and finds the battery is almost flat.

Just been out for a couple of hours and as previous post it does have speed cameras installed! Maybe I should have tried it first before asking! Haha. Not bothered about paying £16 for the software, just sometimes people have better systems that are free! Thanks for all comments and gunna look at all links to see what's my best option! And my phone will stay in my pocket! Haha.

Ah, but if the bike falls on top of him he will have everything to hand including his exact location for the emergency services.

Plus, because the system is connected to his bike battery he will be able to keep in touch for hours - something he may not be able to do if he pulls the phone from his pocket and finds the battery is almost flat.

Alternatively...

When he receives a call back the spark from his phone talks to the petrol vapour leaking from the bike and everybody knows the exact location of the BBQ.

Just been out for a couple of hours and as previous post it does have speed cameras installed! Maybe I should have tried it first before asking! Haha. Not bothered about paying £16 for the software, just sometimes people have better systems that are free! Thanks for all comments and gunna look at all links to see what's my best option! And my phone will stay in my pocket! Haha.

the speed cameras that are on it will be the 30 day demo. unless you have paid for them

Maths not your strong point?

Nor have I stopped to wonder if the £16 that Garmin charge to renew the subscription is good value or not at 0.04 pence per day.

It's 4 pence per day, not 0.04. Do try to get within 1 order of magnitude in future, there's a good chap !!

4p described as a decimal is 0.04

If you'd said £0.04, or 0.04 pounds I'd agree. But definitely not (and I quote) "0.04 pence". That is 4 hundredths of a penny.

Looks like maths isn't your strong point.

Had I of said it was 0.04 of a pence a day, then indeed you would be correct. But I didn't.

Never mind, we both successfully worked out that £16 divided by 365 is (near enough) 4p a day.

Had I of said it was 0.04 of a pence a day, then indeed you would be correct. But I didn't.

Never mind, we both successfully worked out that £16 divided by 365 is (near enough) 4p a day.

"Nor have I stopped to wonder if the £16 that Garmin charge to renew the subscription is good value or not at 0.04 pence per day."

Oh dear. Looks like history perhaps isn't your bag either.......

Panic over!! Haha. I've raided the penny jar and scraped the £16 together and have purchased said software :clap:clap But does any one know why the curvy roads disappeared when it done map updates? only has fastest/shortest/off road.

You could possibly look into this, found on the web, so check your firmware version It seems there is a bug in Zumo firmware since sw. 3.60, fixed in 3.70, but every time Zumo updates maps with Express it loses curvy roads feature you'll need to manually restore the firmware after each LifeTime map update,

I do not know if this will fix the issue, its the only thing that i could find relating to it.

Link to the information found, its translated from german so may be hard to read.

https://translate.google.co.uk/tran...gps-expert.nl/viewtopic.php?p=3729&edit-text=

had a look at link and from what I can see the firmware in my unit is around 6 now so think it is well gone! shame!:mad:

had a look at link and from what I can see the firmware in my unit is around 6 now so think it is well gone! shame!:mad:

Yes it seems odd to me, why they should include it from new and then remove it with a firmware update, unless of course it was causing issues because of the hardware.

Back
Top Bottom