Garmin 550 not charging on cradle

Comfy Old Boots

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Been working fine. Then it locked up and had to take battery out.
Yesterday it started saying something about not charging from usb. I was driving I ignored it.
Today I can't get it to charge from cradle again.

The gps will charge from a usb cable attached to the usb power out I have for my phone.

I've checked the comnections for corrosion all ok. I disconnected from canbus and check that connector too.

I don't have a VU METER but will call into a garage.
Which pins are the ones to check on the cradle to see if there is voltage? What should it be?! Back to maps in the mean time!

Hi not sure if this could be of help:

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/428921-Zumo-550?highlight=zumo

thats 550 unit had some corrosion on it and then realised it was not connecting with pins on the cradle.A bit like a tooth that needs filling:rob
so not if pin no 3 lower row is the charging pin.
good luck.

ps of course if the whole thing had been kept clean it would have been ok,
prev owner left 550 on bike outside for a while:rob

Start at the start.

Check the connection to the battery / power supply

Check the fuse

Clean the contacts on the cradle and the device, carefully

The cradles do sometimes - not too often - just fail. Mine, on one of my bikes, seems to have done just the same. Before I have a look, I have no idea why.

It's wired into the canbus connector under the front of the tank. I'll try and get s loan of a multimeter and check it out,.. I might just leave it until I get home...

Well, I met Luke Scott from here and GPS is charging on his cradle. Good news.

So, I took appart my cradle. Absolutely full of water!!! Admittedly, I'd been out in near monsoon conditions. It's currently drying in the hotpress. I hope it will come back to life. I'll be removing the canbus connector and putting a bmw plug on it so that I can plug it into the accessory socket and remove it from the bike when not in use.

When I'm putting it back together, is there anything I can spray it with to help reduce water ingress?

Thanks.

Silicone spray or a product like GT85 (but I could be wrong)

Sent from a OnePlusX

Right, dried it out. Changed the connector to the aux socket type. Still not charging. Gps itself charged on Luke scotts cradle so I know the gps is ok.

Any suggestions? I'd rather both have to buy s new cradle...

...........When I'm putting it back together, is there anything I can spray it with to help reduce water ingress?

Thanks.

Vaseline is good at keeping moisture out of connectors and has the advantage that it can be removed with petrol.

If being used with two mating connector halves, then LIGHTLY pack ONLY the female half with Vaseline and connect the male half. This will coat and seal the male contacts and the connector.

If both halves are packed or the female half packed too heavily, then there is a risk that the connector halves will not mate properly.

You can dry out a soaked mount with a hair-dryer or a heat-gun (low setting) - be careful not to melt anything!
The power to the mount should be disconnected until it is dried out or damaging electrolytic corrosion/tracking can occur between the live and earth contacts.

New ones available at Handtec, they're usually the cheapest supplier. Mine failed and after repeatedly messing about with the pins and trying various fixes I found on the net I finished up buying a new one ... worked perfectly after that.

Also the Zumo is better wired direct from the battery or via a Fuzeblok/PDM60, the power connector under the front of the tank doesn't switch off when you turn the ignition off and can confuse the Zumo. I'd turn off the ignition, a few seconds later the power to the Zumo would be cut and it'd turn off, I'd walk away .... then the Zumo would power up again and stay live until its' internal battery died, very frustrating! Using a Fuzeblok now and the Zumo works perfectly (although I've since swapped to a 590LM :D).

New ones available at Handtec, they're usually the cheapest supplier. Mine failed and after repeatedly messing about with the pins and trying various fixes I found on the net I finished up buying a new one ... worked perfectly after that.

Also the Zumo is better wired direct from the battery or via a Fuzeblok/PDM60, the power connector under the front of the tank doesn't switch off when you turn the ignition off and can confuse the Zumo. I'd turn off the ignition, a few seconds later the power to the Zumo would be cut and it'd turn off, I'd walk away .... then the Zumo would power up again and stay live until its' internal battery died, very frustrating! Using a Fuzeblok now and the Zumo works perfectly (although I've since swapped to a 590LM :D).

Sounds like my experience, on the positive sterling is very weak at the moment. Good for us Irishmen and women with bits to buy...

Vaseline is good at keeping moisture out of connectors and has the advantage that it can be removed with petrol.

If being used with two mating connector halves, then LIGHTLY pack ONLY the female half with Vaseline and connect the male half. This will coat and seal the male contacts and the connector.

If both halves are packed or the female half packed too heavily, then there is a risk that the connector halves will not mate properly.

You can dry out a soaked mount with a hair-dryer or a heat-gun (low setting) - be careful not to melt anything!
The power to the mount should be disconnected until it is dried out or damaging electrolytic corrosion/tracking can occur between the live and earth contacts.

What annoys me is I can't get the area around the pins appart to check if there is internal corrosion...

IIRC there's a ribbon connector on the inside that can be reversed but it was a sod of a job and to be honest once you've opened up the casing it isn't going to be easy to seal again. Put it down to running costs and order a new one!

IIRC there's a ribbon connector on the inside that can be reversed but it was a sod of a job and to be honest once you've opened up the casing it isn't going to be easy to seal again. Put it down to running costs and order a new one!

I'll do that soon. The price is not too bad. I really can't see how I can even get it open. Either way, there will be Vaseline put on the new one and it'll be taken off when not in use. Thanks gang. Helpful and supportive as usual.

Back
Top Bottom