Garmin not charging

Jonny675

Reaction score
Anybody had any problems with the contacts on the back of sat nav,I've used mine a lot and noticed that I have worn some of the gold contacts of the sat nav not sure if the prongs on the charging wire are now not touching fully. Sat nav comes on then off.
Anyone experiencing this

I guess the gold is just there to prevent corrosion. It's probably just a very thin layer. I'd be surprised if you have worn the contacts so much, so as to lessen their actual contact area, unless you are riding in very dirty conditions or the device is jiggling around a lot in its cradle.

I'd be less surprised if the clamp or 'lock' that holds the device into its cradle has worn or has become distorted, enabling the contacts to separate. This happened to me on a much earlier generation Garmin device.

Alternatively, maybe it's just your device starting to give up the ghost?

Anybody had any problems with the contacts on the back of sat nav,I've used mine a lot and noticed that I have worn some of the gold contacts of the sat nav not sure if the prongs on the charging wire are now not touching fully. Sat nav comes on then off.
Anyone experiencing this

My Friend had similar issues with his 660 he sent it off for repair here http://satnavrepairservice.com/ unless its still under warranty?

the contact pads on my old faithful 2610 eroded away after many year's use. I got another year of use out of it by coating the eroded pads with conductive paint - small syringes are available on ebay & amazon.

Garmin are normally very good at customer service, maybe give them a call? If they can't repair they normally offer a generous discount on a new item purchase if you are out of warranty.

Thanks for the advice it is out of warranty,I was thinking about the contact paint put not sure we're to look.
Would like to try this first could simple fix.

I had a similar problem with a 660. I gave the push in connectors on the cradle a rub with some emery cloth. Worked too.

Good luck.

I had the same problem and found a simple solution. As Wapping suggested the problem was caused by the unit jiggling around in the cradle - I've done over 15k miles with two different units in the same cradle.
I put a small piece of insulating tape over the lower mounting tab to make a tighter fit and cushion it a little. Since I did that the power connection has been 100% reliable (as tested over 2k miles touring). :thumb2

Since I used the same unit on my second bike, which has a much newer cradle fitted. It seems the wear is on the cradle and not the unit, since I don't (yet) need any tape on the newer cradle.

Back
Top Bottom