Dropped it again

Becksy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I am in two minds about posting this out of sheer embarrassment. But think I need some advice.

I had never dropped a bike. Last couple of bikes no problem at all. Yamaha Fazer and Multistrada.

Since I have had my GS I have dropped it 3 times. The first time I can explain and was unlucky as I was in a hurry, not concentrating and forgot to put the side stand down! The second time I was manoeuvring at low speed in a tight space. Then yesterday I was just turning out of a garage, though ground was uneven and up a slope.

On the plus side, I have ridden across Spain fully loaded no problem.

But I must be doing something wrong. I am not the strongest bloke but am 5' 11" and fit. It's a standard GS, and I use a standard Sargent seat.

Any advice appreciated. I must have forgot something basic......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't really help as I'm no expert, I just ride. If it's any consolation I did an Alps tour taking in a dozen passes with no drama.
Got home and dropped it on my driveway.:D

Someone will be along soon to recommend a suitable technique for keeping it shiny side up.:thumb2

I am in two minds about posting this out of sheer embarrassment. But think I need some advice.

I had never dropped a bike. Last couple of bikes no problem at all. Yamaha Fazer and Multistrada.

Since I have had my GS I have dropped it 3 times. The first time I can explain and was unlucky as I was in a hurry, not concentrating and forgot to put the side stand down! The second time I was manoeuvring at low speed in a tight space. Then yesterday I was just turning out of a garage, though ground was uneven and up a slope.

On the plus side, I have ridden across Spain fully loaded no problem.

But I must be doing something wrong. I am not the strongest bloke but am 5' 11" and fit. It's a standard GS, and I use a standard Sargent seat.

Any advice appreciated. I must have forgot something basic......

I am also 5'11 but have the GSA which is a bit taller, I've had a couple of times where I have nearly dropped it. I think it's one of those bikes where you just have to be the boss or it will boss you.
Maybe you need the seat a bit lower there is a shim lowering kit on eBay for £24 which replaces the rubber bungs that might give you a bit more foot down ability

Good luck Terry

Look where you are going and definitely plan where you are going to stop

If you are with a group, don't follow the herd

Park where it's suitable for you, not anyone else

Search out your very own parking spot and not where a load of others bikes are

Concentrate too, as you've said

A great many people have dropped their GS--whether they admit it or not is another thing!

I've dropped one twice, you need to very aware of sloping ground, even a seemingly slight slope will increase the height of the bike and when you try to put your foot down, no ground! Pick your spot.

There are only two types of biker, ones who have dropped a bike and ones who are about to. :thumb2

Worst "public" overbalancing was right outside my house 08:45 with queued traffic and a double decker full of school kids caught bottom of trousers on the serrated foot peg, 2nd & 3rd on Norwegian dirt track roads tight turns on gravel and too much luggage and maybe too much fuel - GSA.

You can only laugh about it, no damage for me apart from scuffed hand guards, and thankful I watched those youtube videos, good experience though!

Oh, and I also removed my fat foot on the site stand, road camber on the right when in europe made me think a few times.

Maybe you need the seat a bit lower there is a shim lowering kit on eBay for £24 which replaces the rubber bungs that might give you a bit more foot down ability

Good luck Terry

Any chance of a link, a quick search hasn't revealed anything.

Welcome to the club! Nice to see a few others messing up as well! I have dropped mine a couple of times when making a very sharp turn and not giving enough revs slipping the clutch. The bike stalled and when that happens in a tight turn, leant over it is a heavy beast. Unlike a sports bike - low to the ground - when the GS starts going over you need rugby player legs or lots of luck! And as Harry says in post 5. :aidan

Thanks for all the comments, I feel less of a numpty. The incident yesterday was in front of two other bikers, who rushed to help. But those who don't ride don't understand! As OldCroc says, once it starts going that's it. The left hand side engine bars are now quite a bit nearer tithe cylinder head after 3 drops.

Haha Iv dropped mine loads in a German petrol station fully loaded to my driveway turning round with nothing in and an empty tank. Lucky there well built and with the bars on it helps a lot.
It's a heavy bike once over the tipping point all you can do is lower it down gracefully.

Dropped my GSA more times than i wish to remember one quite recently, unfortunately the screen went down the side of a wall.
It bent round like a banana but amazingly didn't break just some nasty gouges. spent a few hours repairing all fixed up ok.

Also dropped it on the Stielvio pass really sharp bends descending was quite embarrassing although i came across about four other
riders in the same predicament further down, made me feel slightly better.

Dropped it on a roundabout in France in torrential rain it slid across the roundabout and bounced up onto the pavement on the
recently fitted heed crash bars. Crash bars were heavily damaged bike escaped with very minor scratches to the hand protectors.

Some time ago i dropped it at the end of my street had just changed the tyres and not scrubbed in leant the bike over accelerating
onto a road from the junction, the rear just slid away from me. the bike went down on the floor still in gear spinning around in circles,
What a nightmare felt like hours but probably only a minute to catch the kill switch. all in full view of pedestrians and the stopped traffic,
I felt a total tit!!

What i am amazed at is the lack of damage when ever i pick the bike up, all the minor scrapes have been easy to fix.

We've all been there.

Just make sure you know how to pick it back up in the correct manner, so you don't damage your back.

I rode across Morocco earlier this year 2000 odd miles on the 690 and dropped it once in deep sand, I then get home go out on the gsa and fell off in Lidl car park 2 mins down the road.

It's just one of them things we have all done

I see loads of folk dangling both feet down when slow speed maneuvering and just using their front brake, when turning this seems to unsettle/unbalance the bike. I was shown, in my early days and its stuck with me, to slow speed maneuver with at least my right foot covering the back brake for speed control and to never touch my front.
As JB says, go your own way with parking and forward planning (on and off ferries is classic) and have it in the back of your mind how you are going to extricate your bike from where you leave it (nose in on a downhill slope if someone parks in front and blocks your 'exit')

Just unlucky run of drops !! We've all fallen off; I wanted the ground to open up and swallow me when I stepped off mine right outside the feckin' dealers !:D Only fell off once in my life and was so well witnessed !

Just unlucky run of drops !!

We've all fallen off; I wanted the ground to open up and swallow me when I stepped off mine right outside the feckin' dealers !:D

Only fell off once in my life and was so well witnessed !

I saw the other time too.......................twice ;)

'Ride Like a Pro' by Jerry Palladino

Sounds like you need 'Ride Like a Pro' by Jerry Palladino... it's very easy to download. Check it out on Youtube, it's slow speed skills training. It's basically learning to properly balance the throttle with the rear brake and the clutch and turning your head and eyes. Then practice in a car park.

I rode across Morocco earlier this year 2000 odd miles on the 690 and dropped it once in deep sand, I then get home go out on the gsa and fell off in Lidl car park 2 mins down the road.

It's just one of them things we have all done

I rode across Morocco with Rocky on my CCM and fell off about 10 times every day :D

Not fallen off the GS LC since I got back, but dropped it twice in the first year of ownership, both times I wasn't paying attention! Tis just one of those things we all do sometimes :beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom