fuel

Lol well i was the one who shared the fact about all the Shite research about shell fuels...so if you know its all shite enlighten us on your wisdom about motor spirit..

If your asking me do you remember Shell Advance? I also worked in the industry I was a petrol pump attendant about 35 years or more ago. Shell and Texaco. So my skills are more varied than yours. JJH

Lol well i was the one who shared the fact about all the Shite research about shell fuels...so if you know its all shite enlighten us on your wisdom about motor spirit..

I didn't say it was all shite, just questioned the cost/benefit in everyday use. You need to use your forensic skills to look back through the thread.

You "shared the fact"........ Oh Puleeez! That doesn't elevate you to some molecular-physicist role.......... :rolleyes:

Al :rolleyes:

If your asking me do you remember Shell Advance? I also worked in the industry I was a petrol pump attendant about 35 years or more ago. Shell and Texaco. So my skills are more varied than yours. JJH

Okaaaay......

95/98

I am amused by this thread in a site dedicated to an adventure bike - and also by the quotation from the manual in an earlier post which says in effect you need a BMW dealer to reprogramme your bike before you leave the Home Counties!

I didn't say it was all shite, just questioned the cost/benefit in everyday use. You need to use your forensic skills to look back through the thread.

You "shared the fact"........ Oh Puleeez! That doesn't elevate you to some molecular-physicist role.......... :rolleyes:

Al :rolleyes:

Lol yeah well i wasnt actualy talking to you, but hey your right im no expert....il get my coat...

I could be wrong here but Dont the bikes have Knock sensors that advance or retard the timing according to the fuel quality ?

For the record I use the 98 stuff in the XR when i can get it and ordinaire when i cant. Probably all in my head but it does seem to run better on the 98 stuff

Avoid that E10 stuff like the plague

Mine runs ok on 95 and would probably run on 90. But it definitely runs better on 97 or 99. The additional 5p cost of Tesco 99 is more than repaid in better mpg and a smoother engine.
It has a knock sensor so won't be damaged by low octane fuel.
It has a knock sensor so can benefit from better fuel.
I like the smoother running and crisper delivery so pay my 5p per litre. Overall it costs me nothing extra and probably saves a few pennies at the next refill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They don't. Any E10 fuel has to be labelled as such. I have only seen an E10 labelled pump in France or Belgium.

Standard fuel can be up to 5% ethanol without any mention of this on the label. The exact % will vary from day to day, depending on where your fuel was refined which could be the UK or Kuwait as it is a global commodity. A tanker may deliver 5% ethanol this week and 0% next week, or any ratio in between.

The alcohol actually raises the octane rating which is no guarantee of quality itself. The quality comes from the consistency of the fuel meeting the specification, cleanliness of the forecourt bunker, fuel age and the additive package.

Consumers seem to be locked into the false notion that a 99 RON fuel is always better than 95 RON when the most likely cause of poor running is that the fuel is full of shit that blocks your filter - don't fill up if you see a tanker delivering at a site as the shit in the bottom of the bunker will have had a bloody good stir. Equally, don't buy fuel at a rural station that has fuel delivered once every 6 months as many of those nice volatiles will have fucked off into the atmosphere or oxidised.

https://www.maxol.ie/images/consumer_fuel/MSDS-Unleaded-Gasoline.pdf

Section 3 subsection 3.2 (mixture)

This is from Maxol, one of our largest operators. I don't know about the UK or any other euro country but in Ireland there is only ethanol blend available at the pumps.

from the document :-

Concentration.

Gasoline >90
Ethanol <10

I do know that there isn't a fuel delivery ship to Alexandra Bason for every brand of fuel on sale here. There was just 1 which pumped fuel to all the supppliers tanks. That was years ago. I don't know if that's changed or not. JJH

I go remember reading some bulshit from Shell trying to justify price rises. Something about a 60 day pipeline and when wholesale prices went up they had to put the prices up immediately because the had to pay the new price to keep the pipeline going. They were silent on price drops. JJH

I didn't know dat. JJH

Sure I've completely lost track!!!

But in all seriousness, we have no idea what we are getting because they all only have to put "unleaded" on the pumps...............all of them!

I must say I've never noticed any improvement in performance or mpg when using super plus. JJH

https://www.maxol.ie/images/consumer_fuel/MSDS-Unleaded-Gasoline.pdf

Section 3 subsection 3.2 (mixture)

This is from Maxol, one of our largest operators. I don't know about the UK or any other euro country but in Ireland there is only ethanol blend available at the pumps.

from the document :-

Concentration.

Gasoline >90
Ethanol <10

the word ethanol does not appear in the linked document - it does mention https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethyl_tert-butyl_ether which has a similar effect on raising the octane rating

perhaps read http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/news/biofuels.html which explains EU & UK regs

I've used a few additives in my time. I worked for a wholesaler and distributed Wynnes all over Ireland. I never noticed any improvement in mpg. Only formula for better mpg is keep right hand anti clockwise. JJH

the word ethanol does not appear in the linked document - it does mention https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethyl_tert-butyl_ether which has a similar effect on raising the octane rating

perhaps read http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/news/biofuels.html which explains EU & UK regs

Compatibility
When E10 is sold in the UK vehicle manufacturers and fuel suppliers will have to provide their customers with information about vehicle make and model compatibility with E10.

No mention of Ireland.

Compatibility
When E10 is sold in the UK vehicle manufacturers and fuel suppliers will have to provide their customers with information about vehicle make and model compatibility with E10.

No mention of Ireland.

UK reg is based on the EU requirement which applies in Ireland, no? Any E10 fuel sold in the EU must be labelled as such, as they do in France. Your original assertion that everywhere is selling E10 without declaring the ethanol content still remains as nothing but speculation. Now, if you have some actual evidence, please do post it.

UK reg is based on the EU requirement which applies in Ireland, no? Any E10 fuel sold in the EU must be labelled as such, as they do in France. Your original assertion that everywhere is selling E10 without declaring the ethanol content still remains as nothing but speculation. Now, if you have some actual evidence, please do post it.
I'm going to bow down to your superior knowledge on this one.

But, one last shot.......... It only has to be labelled E10 when it reaches and exceeds 10% ??
What about 7% or 9.5%

I've just given myself a headache reading up on this shite.

My bike runs smoother in Europe on holidays when I can choose the 98/99ron at the pumps, I don't have that choice in little old Ireland because a few years back the ecomentalist Green Party fluked there way into government and made their presence felt for a term.

Good night and God bless.

Sent from a OnePlusX

I'm going to bow down to your superior knowledge on this one.

But, one last shot.......... It only has to be labelled E10 when it reaches and exceeds 10% ??
What about 7% or 9.5%

I've just given myself a headache reading up on this shite.

My bike runs smoother in Europe on holidays when I can choose the 98/99ron at the pumps, I don't have that choice in little old Ireland because a few years back the ecomentalist Green Party fluked there way into government and made their presence felt for a term.

Good night and God bless.

Sent from a OnePlusX

No, has to be labelled if it goes over 5% but nobody makes anything but E5 or E10, so you cannot put E10 in an E5 bunker as it would send the mix over the 5% limit.

Back
Top Bottom