fuel

No, has to be labelled if it goes over 5% but nobody makes anything but E5 or E10, so you cannot put E10 in an E5 bunker as it would send the mix over the 5% limit.
Oky doky 👍

Sent from a OnePlusX

I could be wrong here but Dont the bikes have Knock sensors that advance or retard the timing according to the fuel quality ?

For the record I use the 98 stuff in the XR when i can get it and ordinaire when i cant. Probably all in my head but it does seem to run better on the 98 stuff

Avoid that E10 stuff like the plague

I use Tesco 99 as that's what's available my way and it's cheap. The bike absolutely does run better on posh, the cost per mile is no higher and maybe a little cheaper.
So why put in crap fuel when the cost for posh is the same.
The bike runs fine on 95 but loses its sparkle.
I've used the lowest spec petrol in France in the MZ. The engine ran without pinking so no reason to suppose the GS would suffer. However performance was crap and it guzzled fuel. Cheap per litre but megabux per mile. The tank ran dry so fast that I ran out before I found another petrol stop thankfully helped out by a passing motorist.

And before you venture over to "Johnny-foreigner-land" - make sure they have the right quality of fuel for your trip......... :rob

FFS! People treat these bikes as if they are going to keep them for 50yrs, then hand them on to their offspring and heirs................. :rolleyes:

(then they remember that they bought them on PCP , and are chopping them in - in 2yrs time............ :blast)

"Don't use supermarket fuel".......... Oh puleeeez! :blast

Al

Mine is dull on 95 but sparkles on posh fuel. I rag it a lot harder on posh petrol. Posh petrol is about a nicer ride absolutely not about treating the bike gently.

Mine is dull on 95 but sparkles on posh fuel. I rag it a lot harder on posh petrol. Posh petrol is about a nicer ride absolutely not about treating the bike gently.

My experience as well. Bike has more "pep" on the 99 and Shell+ I have also been using a small amount of RedX about every 6 months or if going on a run of 2/300 miles. Been using it for years. Had a GSA 1150 from new with 60k on and had cause to remove throttle bodies at about 50k. Injectors and throttles absolutely spotless, no black crap or gunk, also looking at valve tops through intakes looked like new so keep using it. A bottle usually lasts about a year for 2 bikes.

FWIW last time I spoke to Geoff of Hilltop fame, a couple of months back, he recommended using 98, but then mine is a superfast

TB donchaknow :p

Does it really make a difference if it's 98 from Tesco or 98 from Shell?

Cleveland Discol was the stuff for my tuned up Triumphs in the 60's, 101 octane iirc.

These days it's anything i can get cheap. No use bothering with the dearer stuff as you can't always get it so you bang anything you can get in the tank which,
kinda makes a bit of a mockery of your efforts to run on the "good stuff". MY TC GS has always run on the cheaper stuff and at 77k is still running loverly thank's :thumb2

:D:D I remember the difference between unleaded and 4* in my GPZ600R in the late eighties..... the difference was massive, the 4* was like rocket fuel (whatever that's like:D) in comparison.

Back
Top Bottom