fuel

rovert57

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I know that my tc 1200 gsa runs better on the premium grade petrol but sometimes the garage only has the 95 ron available ,has anyone used the petrol octane booster in their bike .

And before you venture over to "Johnny-foreigner-land" - make sure they have the right quality of fuel for your trip......... :rob

FFS! People treat these bikes as if they are going to keep them for 50yrs, then hand them on to their offspring and heirs................. :rolleyes:

(then they remember that they bought them on PCP , and are chopping them in - in 2yrs time............ :blast)

"Don't use supermarket fuel".......... Oh puleeeez! :blast

Al

I wish I had access to 98 or 99 (or higher) but it's not available in Ireland (government decision some years back when the Green Party where in coalition) they do run better on the good stuff.

I run mine on sainsbury's unleaded, no problems at all. What is all the fuss about? as far as I'm concerned fuel already expensive, why pay more for potentially just a tiny bit more whomph.......:blast:nenau:banghead:

These bikes are supposed to have 'round the world' capability, including places where the fuel is quite dodgy, so I'm guessing that, at a pinch, they might just about cope with supermarket stuff... besides, more additives in 'branded' fuel = less actual petrol for your pound.

Not bothered what fuel people put in their bikes....Soooooo....they shouldn't give a rats @rse what I put in mine! BUT for the record I do put the high octane stuff in for 2 reasons.

1 BMW recommends it and I don't think they sell petrol so I'm inclined to think they know more about it than some bike jockey.
2 IMHO it helps to stop the blueing of MY exhaust.... Please take note I said "MY" exhaust!

1 BMW recommends it and I don't think they sell petrol so I'm inclined to think they know more about it than some bike jockey!

I honestly think you are mistaken here ! Can you show your source for this please ?

Don't use supermarket fuel. Stick to one of the main producer gas stations for the additives.

A rule that does not seem to apply to bikermates when they are brave enough to venture across the Channel, who - by some miracle - seem perfectly happy to fill up any Leclerc or Ocean supermarket they come across.

I run mine on sainsbury's unleaded, no problems at all. What is all the fuss about? as far as I'm concerned fuel already expensive, why pay more for potentially just a tiny bit more whomph.......:blast:nenau:banghead:

I only use supermarket fuel because I like paying at the pump. Never had a problem and am certain it all comes from the same place

Recommended fuel grade "Super unleaded"
95 ROZ/RON
89 AKI (whatever that is)

Alternative fuel grade.
Regular unleaded (Power-and consumption-related restrictions. If e.g. the engine is to be operated in countries with low fuel grades at 91 research octane number, then the motorcycle must be programmed appropriately at your authorised BMW motorcycle dealer) (max. 10% ethanol, E10)
91ROZ/RON.
87 AKI

Back page of handbook.

Not bothered what fuel people put in their bikes....Soooooo....they shouldn't give a rats @rse what I put in mine! BUT for the record I do put the high octane stuff in for 2 reasons.

1 BMW recommends it and I don't think they sell petrol so I'm inclined to think they know more about it than some bike jockey.
2 IMHO it helps to stop the blueing of MY exhaust.... Please take note I said "MY" exhaust!

If I rode my 1300s hard with normal 95 petrol, the inide of the exhaust would glow orange. I didn't notice any improvent in performance with 98

I don't see any improvement in performance or fuel consumption and if there is it's minimal. What I do find is that it seems to run cleaner and as I stated it's kept the bluing of the exhaust at bay, so it's 98 for me.

As you say 95 RON , I was correct !

Be aware that means regular in the uk and has a differ notation in the EU.

IT DOES NOT MEAN SUPER UNLEADED! (In the uk ) which is 98 RON

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 385
I could be wrong here but Dont the bikes have Knock sensors that advance or retard the timing according to the fuel quality ?

For the record I use the 98 stuff in the XR when i can get it and ordinaire when i cant. Probably all in my head but it does seem to run better on the 98 stuff

Avoid that E10 stuff like the plague

I only use supermarket fuel because I like paying at the pump. Never had a problem and am certain it all comes from the same place

+1 :clap

Currently doing around 350 miles per week ... anywhere that has pay-at-the-pump will do!

I deliver fuel...most does come from same place in your area, additives are what make the difference BP, Jet, Texaco, Tesco,Sainsbury Shell, however although most comes in by ship is pumped to storage additive is added at point of loading, we bottom load on the racks and the additive is injected into the line depending on which retailer is being loaded..however Shell VPower nitro as its now called is made in a designated refining operation and is a sepetate product with excellent properties for anti knock corrosion inhibitors and carbon cleaning properties its rated at 99Ron....its what i use in bike and car worth the extra wonga....

Back
Top Bottom