Alternative to Rukka jacket?

AndyR34

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
So, having had a few Rukka jackets and generally being pleased with them I notice there's a dropping off of quality and they're now manufactured out of Europe (mine were all pre-China made), what is the Forum's consensus on the alternatives to the middle of the range versions from Dainese/Alpinestars/Halvarssons/Revitt?

I am not really in a position to afford a top of the range bad boy from Rukka but the others seem to have a more realistic price range and still have the quality of materials and warranty back-up? I would like bonded Goretex, preferably with effective but sealable vents (my latest Rukka jacket was far too hot in anything above 25 degrees - I live in Scotland so it's not that hot too often round here but it would be nice for when I'm touring!), D30 armour and a back protector would be nice too.

So, what's recommended and does anyone have any links to mega-deals to be had at this time of the year - being way out my teens (!), last year's versions or end of line models do not phase me at all, comfort, dryness, quality and price are far more important.

Cheers

Andy

Hideout Hi Pro textile Jacket ..................... will be looking at it very closely when my Finnish made Armas comes to the end of its life

Just look in:

(A) The comparatively recent threads where bods seek alternative textile clothing

(B) The RiDE magazine 'Best buy' guides. They really are as good as anything, not least as every man and his dog has their own favourites and budgets.

PS Just because it's stitched in China doesn't make it crap. BMW suits are not hand stitched by flaxen haired maidens on the Rhine.

So, having had a few Rukka jackets and generally being pleased with them I notice there's a dropping off of quality and they're now manufactured out of Europe (mine were all pre-China made), what is the Forum's consensus on the alternatives to the middle of the range versions from Dainese/Alpinestars/Halvarssons/Revitt?

I am not really in a position to afford a top of the range bad boy from Rukka but the others seem to have a more realistic price range and still have the quality of materials and warranty back-up? I would like bonded Goretex, preferably with effective but sealable vents (my latest Rukka jacket was far too hot in anything above 25 degrees - I live in Scotland so it's not that hot too often round here but it would be nice for when I'm touring!), D30 armour and a back protector would be nice too.

So, what's recommended and does anyone have any links to mega-deals to be had at this time of the year - being way out my teens (!), last year's versions or end of line models do not phase me at all, comfort, dryness, quality and price are far more important.

Cheers

Andy
Hi Andy, I have just brought a Halvarssons Prime jacket from MOtolegends in Guilford, and they gave me what I felt to be good advice. Going there i had set my sights on the Amazonas jacket as it had the goretex liner like the Rukka, but he said that unless I was a commuter and rode every day he would not recommend the amazonas but try the Prime instead. cost was £419 and I brought a Merino wool base layer to wear underneath, only had it a month but I am liking it and is very comfy and warm.
hope that helps
Nigel

Hi Andy, I have just brought a Halvarssons Prime jacket from MOtolegends in Guilford, and they gave me what I felt to be good advice. Going there i had set my sights on the Amazonas jacket as it had the goretex liner like the Rukka, but he said that unless I was a commuter and rode every day he would not recommend the amazonas but try the Prime instead. cost was £419 and I brought a Merino wool base layer to wear underneath, only had it a month but I am liking it and is very comfy and warm.
hope that helps
Nigel
I'm thinking about going for the amazonas, why did the salesman think the prime is better unless you're commuting every day?

Votes so far:

Hideout's Hi Pro - But not yet tried out

Klim

Halvarsson's Prime, unless you are commuting. If so, it's Amazonas

Held

Dane

And a tip that the Rukka Armas jacket has been reduced in price

The world it seems really is your lobster.

Had my Halvarsons prime for 18months now. Great fit, and very comfy.
But, I get a cold spot in the middle where the lining leaves a gap behind the zip, where it lacks full length Velcro on the outer flap, so it lets wind through.

And rain:blast.

I have to wear a lightweight over jacket to stay dry in anything more than a shower.

Many thanks one and all, I think I'll do some shopping (limited to in-store visits living up here in the sticks) but most online deals have a good returns policy for incoreect sizing etc.

Cheers again.

Andy :thumby:

Go with a UK company that will price match these Johnny Foreigner types for example Moto Legends :thumb2

A service that they should find easier to provide now that the Euro priced suits have increased in price, relative to the British pound gumbo bean.

I'm thinking about going for the amazonas, why did the salesman think the prime is better unless you're commuting every day?
The Amazonas is to be discontinued so I was told as it was not as good as the Rukka and they (halvarssons) had a few returns for leakage. as the gortex liner is bonded the jacket is stiffer and puckers up when sat on bike. The prime on the other hand they have had less issues with and is a lot more comfy.

We are looking to replace our kit so we looked at the following.

Dane. Ride best buy. Mike Armitage still uses his 18 months after given to him to test. Laminated waterproof outer and vents. Smart suit and made for Northern Europe.

Klim has a new suit out for next year. The Kodiak I think it's called. Still expensive. The Latitude is my choice but you need base and mid layer which I prefer. I like the cut of the jacket. Enough vents to keep me cooler in Southern Europe yet still waterproof.

Hide Out suits are all CE approved. Laminated outer shell and vents. Adventure style or short jacket for sportier look. You can buy off the peg for about 1.5k or have a made to measure with the features that you want for 2k. 1 or 2 piece. Based in Safron Waldon. Similar to Aerostitch.

BMW has a new suit for next year. Enduroguard which will be about 1k. Looked at it at the show and it seems top notch. Same features as the Klim. The material is a bit stiffer but I think it will soften with use.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

The Amazonas is to be discontinued so I was told as it was not as good as the Rukka and they (halvarssons) had a few returns for leakage. as the gortex liner is bonded the jacket is stiffer and puckers up when sat on bike. The prime on the other hand they have had less issues with and is a lot more comfy.

The Amazonas replaced the Odyssey, I would imagine....... so Halvarssons didn't have to pay Schoeller the licensing fee for the C-Change membrane and the NanoSphere coating (sticker!) the jackets are almost identical but I would imagine that the Amazonas was much cheaper for them to produce.
I have ridden through the worst wind and rain that Ireland could chuck at me and my Odyssey jacket has never let a drop of water in. Rode from the east coast over to Doolin and south to Dingle and Killarney for 3 days, during Storm Imogen last January, it didn't stop raining from the time we left 'til we got home. All my mates had rain gear over their various makes of textile suits, I didn't need to with the Odyssey jacket and matching Mercury pants.

http://www.motolegends.com/jackets/halvarssons-odyssey-jacket-black-50.html

If you can find this suit in your size......it will keep you dry!!

Back
Top Bottom