2018 KTM 790 Adventure

Pleased you like it I asked them to check for any updates like the fuel gauge before I pick it up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I did too. They said no fix from KTM on their system. Suggested I ride around block as the slow might be slow. I did 150miles, it’s not working.

Dealer also forgot to fit the heated grips - they remembered to charge me though so not all bad.

Took it fishing. It’s crap at catching mackerel.

cf62b04acd1462b0c444a08dea15fa17.jpg

Guernsey looks a very pretty place

I did too. They said no fix from KTM on their system. Suggested I ride around block as the slow might be slow. I did 150miles, it’s not working.

Dealer also forgot to fit the heated grips - they remembered to charge me though so not all bad.

I was bit surprised when I saw the grips with the external controller they work from the TFT on the 1290r but they are in short supply at the minute I think a lot of the accessories are now,

How do you feel on the bike,

It is indeed the first one he ever built, it’s been upgraded with most of his developments and its a gem thanks, though a little scuffed round the edges through lots of miles and a few crashes. It’s definitely a keeper but I keep looking at everything written about the 790 and want to try one. Could I justify having one as well instead of a new kitchen? Hmm difficult question as I have such a kitchen fetish.

Easy..Get a cheap Ikea kitchen and get a 'mate' to fit it, save a fortune and treat the bike to some new cosmetics.
Or, Ikea kitchen, sell me your bike and treat yourself to new LP special at only £42k :D

Joking aside, if I had £42k burning a hole in my bank account I would seriously consider one of those builds before anything else..no frills, zero rider aids, no electronic suspension, carburettor, properly set up and well up to the job suspension, amazing fuel range, light, powerful...SE950 slayer, the perfect overland travel bike :rolleyes: :D

Almost certainly this is a stupid question, but is anyone aware of a spare 790 R available in the UK in the next 1-2 weeks?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Almost certainly this is a stupid question, but is anyone aware of a spare 790 R available in the UK in the next 1-2 weeks?

Craigs DEWSBURY had 6 in showroom that was TUESDAY speak to jack he might be able to help

Craigs DEWSBURY had 6 in showroom that was TUESDAY speak to jack he might be able to help
Defo all R's? I won't know for sure if I want one until I have a test on an S on Wednesday. But will give them a call in the morning.

Short-notice trip to Morocco looming, was going to take the 1290 SA-R, but it's not going to be much different to the 1190R I took in 2016. Quite fancy the excitement of a change of bike - so long as I can live with it on big road miles....

I did 150 miles on one today so here are a few thoughts.

My inside leg is about 31.5”, height is about 5ft 11 and 7/8ths and I’m overweight.

Bike is a 790R with akro and TT rack.When I ordered it I also ordered the tall screen so that I had the choice and didn’t have the supply issues I’ve had with other bikes if wanted to swap. The dealer had fitted the taller screen.

Firstly when inspecting the bikes there are some exposed bolt holes that need a blanking bolt or cap. The hose for the charcoal filter floats and isn’t attached so need sticking down somewhere.

First surprise was pushing the bike to Vertical off the stand. This is the first time you feel the weird sensation of the weight not being what was expected.

I rode Byron’s 701 in Iceland it is was so close to vertical, tall and a narrow seat I was worried about getting on in case I fell straight over the other side with a bike on top of me. The 790 on the side stand was a good angle, easy to get on and bring to vertical. Feet were balls of the foot flat. When sat to the front of the seat.

Keys on locks are a rough fit, and the seat release lock is stiff and uses only part of the key. I can imagine this getting forced.

Starting up is immediate and the engine ticks over around 2000revs before dropping to the 1400 mark

Gear select is easy and no clunk like I’ve got used to on my other bikes. Clutch bike point is quite far out but the bike is forgiving and doesn’t give any sense of stalling.

The bike is very balanced. Slow speed turning is very smooth, tight figure eights at slow speed are simple and the pegs and panels against the kness enable excellent feedback from the bike.

I think I probably use my front brake too much as I felt the diving and dipping so will be tweaking this.

Tight roundabouts were fun, very very smooth and the acceleration is amazingly smooth. The rev counter flashes if you exceed the running in guidance.

At 85 it is stable, smooth and no buffering. At 4000revs the engine is an absolute joy to hear but across the range the response is very very consistent - I couldn’t find a dead spot.

I’m not impressed by the Akro, I suspect it’s being Euro complianced to death and I can’t heard the Characteristic sound. I would not order that again.

The Touratech rack is wider than Boudicca’s chariot when the wheels are fitted with blades. I have the Wolfmen panniers fitted which I think works okay.
The width of the bike means it would be way to overload it with a roll bag. A roll bag across the panniers would still leave a loading plate to the rear of roll so potential for too much crap to be carried

I was following a van for a while in slow traffic ( TT rack prohibits filtering !) and the headlight seems to flicker up and down so next job will be to check it’s stable and nothing loose.

I will be adjusting the hand guards as the the taller type can be fitted slightly higher for seating and standing protection.

Clutch felt heavy at some times but the quick changer was witch craft so I need to practice with it.

I set cruise control and took my hands off the bars - the bike was true, no judder, wobble or vibration. Leaning with the knees the bike turned easily and felt very balanced.

When dabbing the brake or nudging the cruise to decrease target speed it felt like the brakes were forced as as the deceleration was immediate.

The space to the inside of the rack for a toolbox is huge.

I did 150 miles on one today so here are a few thoughts.

My inside leg is about 31.5”, height is about 5ft 11 and 7/8ths and I’m overweight.

Bike is a 790R with akro and TT rack.When I ordered it I also ordered the tall screen so that I had the choice and didn’t have the supply issues I’ve had with other bikes if wanted to swap. The dealer had fitted the taller screen.

Firstly when inspecting the bikes there are some exposed bolt holes that need a blanking bolt or cap. The hose for the charcoal filter floats and isn’t attached so need sticking down somewhere.

First surprise was pushing the bike to Vertical off the stand. This is the first time you feel the weird sensation of the weight not being what was expected.

I rode Byron’s 701 in Iceland it is was so close to vertical, tall and a narrow seat I was worried about getting on in case I fell straight over the other side with a bike on top of me. The 790 on the side stand was a good angle, easy to get on and bring to vertical. Feet were balls of the foot flat. When sat to the front of the seat.

Keys on locks are a rough fit, and the seat release lock is stiff and uses only part of the key. I can imagine this getting forced.

Starting up is immediate and the engine ticks over around 2000revs before dropping to the 1400 mark

Gear select is easy and no clunk like I’ve got used to on my other bikes. Clutch bike point is quite far out but the bike is forgiving and doesn’t give any sense of stalling.

The bike is very balanced. Slow speed turning is very smooth, tight figure eights at slow speed are simple and the pegs and panels against the kness enable excellent feedback from the bike.

I think I probably use my front brake too much as I felt the diving and dipping so will be tweaking this.

Tight roundabouts were fun, very very smooth and the acceleration is amazingly smooth. The rev counter flashes if you exceed the running in guidance.

At 85 it is stable, smooth and no buffering. At 4000revs the engine is an absolute joy to hear but across the range the response is very very consistent - I couldn’t find a dead spot.

I’m not impressed by the Akro, I suspect it’s being Euro complianced to death and I can’t heard the Characteristic sound. I would not order that again.

The Touratech rack is wider than Boudicca’s chariot when the wheels are fitted with blades. I have the Wolfmen panniers fitted which I think works okay.
The width of the bike means it would be way to overload it with a roll bag. A roll bag across the panniers would still leave a loading plate to the rear of roll so potential for too much crap to be carried

I was following a van for a while in slow traffic ( TT rack prohibits filtering !) and the headlight seems to flicker up and down so next job will be to check it’s stable and nothing loose.

I will be adjusting the hand guards as the the taller type can be fitted slightly higher for seating and standing protection.

Clutch felt heavy at some times but the quick changer was witch craft so I need to practice with it.

I set cruise control and took my hands off the bars - the bike was true, no judder, wobble or vibration. Leaning with the knees the bike turned easily and felt very balanced.

When dabbing the brake or nudging the cruise to decrease target speed it felt like the brakes were forced as as the deceleration was immediate.

The space to the inside of the rack for a toolbox is huge.

Hi Jo that was one of the things I was going to ask i hated the way the 701 was virtually vertical with luggage it was a bastard to get on and off, I think there will be a better pipe to come along ,

First thoughts do you like it,

Hi Jo that was one of the things I was going to ask i hated the way the 701 was virtually vertical with luggage it was a bastard to get on and off, I think there will be a better pipe to come along ,

Yes, I do. It’s not vertical. I have the bad habit of standing on the peg when I get on , the side stand is straight not dog leg like my GS ( wondering if it should be that bent). You can get on off with out going straight over. Seat is more comfy than the 701. Although after 150 miles was starting to get numb bum.

Yes, I do. It’s not vertical. I have the bad habit of standing on the peg when I get on , the side stand is straight not dog leg like my GS ( wondering if it should be that bent). You can get on off with out going straight over. Seat is more comfy than the 701. Although after 150 miles was starting to get numb bum.

Be careful unlike BMWs Ktm sidestands are sometimes mounted to the Engine, Is the Quickshifter Up and Down at any load and any speed

Can't seem to PM, looks like I need to subscribe these days (despite being a member since around 2004, whatever my avatar text says!).

Bikers Jersey may have one as a customer ordered one but it’s too tall for him . If you call them ask for Owen.

Cut 20mm from the sidestand and weld the foot back on, the bike will lean more un-weighted but will be at a far more usable angle once luggage is added :thumb2

Cut 20mm from the sidestand and weld the foot back on, the bike will lean more un-weighted but will be at a far more usable angle once luggage is added :thumb2

Thanks for that, thats what I would have done but like Jo Ive bought a 790 r loved the 701e but think I have done the right thing by changing

Back
Top Bottom