2018 KTM 790 Adventure

For info the Touratech toolbox fits the standard luggage frame.

Hi, I am still dithering between the two. What is your thinking on no traction control?
What delivery date did they give you? Cheers

Well I’m to make myself popular on here as I’ve just ordered a Yam 700 Ténéré. I’m not deserting KTM as I’m keeping the 690 and 1290 but the Yam is so much cheaper.

A journo mate has ridden both, gave me his completely unbiased opinion and although the 790 has the edge for say the last 5% and a lot more power he was surprised how good the Yam was.

Ok there are reasons why the Yam is cheaper but at the massive price difference I’m giving one a try. Feel free to hurl abuse my way. Not having ridden the Yam I can’t claim it’s better but I’m gonna give it a go.

Please carry on enjoying your 790’s

Good for you! Interested to see how you get on.

Watching the reviews I don't think it's hard core enough for what I'm 'trying" to do on mine. I'm dropping the bike quite a lot and it prettyuch shrugs it off. Not sure the Yam would take the abuse. Time will tell!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I want real hard core I’ll probably stick to the 690 if I’m honest, I’ve done in excess of 30,000 miles on that and it’s been dropped more than a few times so doesn’t look mint anymore. Time will tell on the Yam

Hi, I am still dithering between the two. What is your thinking on no traction control?
What delivery date did they give you? Cheers

I don’t give a shit about the lack of traction control. Delivery date is very vague at the moment. I’ve had loads of KTM’s and love them but as this wont be my main bike the huge price difference and good reviews swung it. If it were to be my only bike I’d be more inclined to spend the extra on the 790

The horn needs a relay. It blew a fuse without. Ran wires from horn location to relay under the seat and off the battery + via a fuse. Works okay but need to investigate as it's started to sound like a single horn rather than the dual sound if you get me.

I doubt there's room for a relay behind the headlight.

Yes, a relay is a must - Denali draws 30 amps, though not for long. Spent some time today taking panels off & re-thinking things... can't use handy ACC power under seat as they are 10 amp.
But my bike came with an Optimate plug wired to battery just about long enough to reach compressor/relay under seat, yay.
So if I understand I will have to splice into original horn wire & run that (& compressor hose) back to relay/compressor... OK, did you have to remove tank to route them? Or fish a bit?
Have you figured out the problem of single/dual horn sound yet? Could it be swallowing road crud without the 'Crap Flap' ?
Still no definitive answer about Crap Flap being a good idea or not...

Good weather for long holiday weekend here, hope to put more km on...

Cheers, Lorne

Yes, a relay is a must - Denali draws 30 amps, though not for long. Spent some time today taking panels off & re-thinking things... can't use handy ACC power under seat as they are 10 amp.
But my bike came with an Optimate plug wired to battery just about long enough to reach compressor/relay under seat, yay.
So if I understand I will have to splice into original horn wire & run that (& compressor hose) back to relay/compressor... OK, did you have to remove tank to route them? Or fish a bit?
Have you figured out the problem of single/dual horn sound yet? Could it be swallowing road crud without the 'Crap Flap' ?
Still no definitive answer about Crap Flap being a good idea or not...

Good weather for long holiday weekend here, hope to put more km on...

Cheers, Lorne

I have the crud flap. Been to busy to sort.

Fished the wires through to the original spade connectors to operate relay and off the battery with a fuse.

I have the crud flap. Been to busy to sort.

Fished the wires through to the original spade connectors to operate relay and off the battery with a fuse.

Thanks for the reply Apex.
Whose 'crud flap are you using? No problems with overheating?
I guess I'll be going fishing...

Cheers, Lorne

This fair freaked me out.............Chris Birch can certainly ride :thumb2

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/XBjnv3qWgjk" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Andres

This fair freaked me out.............Chris Birch can certainly ride :thumb2

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/XBjnv3qWgjk" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Andres

Guys that do this stuff have a fear gene missing. And that's why they pull it off. It's proof that pre-destination is clap trap. One bloke that tries this would be a real man, another would be dead, probably. But both would be alive of they didn't attempt it. To suggest that we would be pre-programmed to try it....or not...is a load of tosh.

As standard, the 790 Adventure is fitted with a Thatcham Category 2 immobiliser. There's been several posts on the Internet about fitting an alarm system but they all fail (in my opinion) to show just how easy this is. Normally, fitting a Thatcham approved Category 1 alarm is a job for professionals and your insurance company will want to see a certificate to demonstrate it has been properly installed. But KTM has already done this work for you in the standard wiring on every 790 Adventure. So fitting an alarm takes just 30 seconds.

The alarm KTM sells is the Meta DefComT Category 2 to 1 upgrade. You can buy this from KTM for £280 or you can buy the exact same item off the Internet for £82 including delivery, see https://www.southerncarsecurity.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=112_53&product_id=88

meta_7717.jpg

Here's the contents of the kit. The alarm is the rectangular black box, the cables leading into it are what are normally wired into the bike. But don't panic. All you need from this pile of stuff is the rectangular alarm and the two blue remote controls next to the red key card. The rest can go in the bin.

meta_7719.jpg

Here's the contents of the fitting kit which is £42 from KTM. You don't have to buy this but it provides a secure mounting method. The piece of paper says fitting instructions are on the KTM web site. They are lying.

meta_7716.jpg

Here's the bike before the alarm was fitted. I'd isolated the likely looking white connectors in case I needed them. You can see the alarm electrical connector peering out from beneath the metal work. If you now connect that connector to the alarm box, you will have installed the alarm in less than 30 seconds. It's that simple. The remote controls will now work and you can get on the bike and start your round-the-world ride.

But the alarm box will rattle around so of course we all want to faff about and make things tidy.

meta_7720.jpg

First thing was to fit the two rectangular sensors under the seat so the alarm would sound if someone tried to intefere with it by removing the seat. The holes for the four screws are predrilled, all you do is tighten the screws. The sensor towards the top of the photo has a cable that plugs into one of the two white sockets I identified earlier.

meta_7728.jpg

Then you mount the alarm box onto the support bracket using the sticky pads provided and secure it in place with cable ties, connect up the wiring harness, and put in the three screws to hold the bracket in place.

And that's that.

You can program the alarm to automatically set after 50 seconds. And if you want to have both left and right indicators flashing to warn of a hazard (not normally possible with the 790), you just press the remote control twice, once more to switch off.

As standard, the 790 Adventure is fitted with a Thatcham Category 2 immobiliser. There's been several posts on the Internet about fitting an alarm system but they all fail (in my opinion) to show just how easy this is. Normally, fitting a Thatcham approved Category 1 alarm is a job for professionals and your insurance company will want to see a certificate to demonstrate it has been properly installed. But KTM has already done this work for you in the standard wiring on every 790 Adventure. So fitting an alarm takes just 30 seconds.

The alarm KTM sells is the Meta DefComT Category 2 to 1 upgrade. You can buy this from KTM for £280 or you can buy the exact same item off the Internet for £82 including delivery, see https://www.southerncarsecurity.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=112_53&product_id=88

meta_7717.jpg

Here's the contents of the kit. The alarm is the rectangular black box, the cables leading into it are what are normally wired into the bike. But don't panic. All you need from this pile of stuff is the rectangular alarm and the two blue remote controls next to the red key card. The rest can go in the bin.

meta_7719.jpg

Here's the contents of the fitting kit which is £42 from KTM. You don't have to buy this but it provides a secure mounting method. The piece of paper says fitting instructions are on the KTM web site. They are lying.

meta_7716.jpg

Here's the bike before the alarm was fitted. I'd isolated the likely looking white connectors in case I needed them. You can see the alarm electrical connector peering out from beneath the metal work. If you now connect that connector to the alarm box, you will have installed the alarm in less than 30 seconds. It's that simple. The remote controls will now work and you can get on the bike and start your round-the-world ride.

But the alarm box will rattle around so of course we all want to faff about and make things tidy.

meta_7720.jpg

First thing was to fit the two rectangular sensors under the seat so the alarm would sound if someone tried to intefere with it by removing the seat. The holes for the four screws are predrilled, all you do is tighten the screws. The sensor towards the top of the photo has a cable that plugs into one of the two white sockets I identified earlier.

meta_7728.jpg

Then you mount the alarm box onto the support bracket using the sticky pads provided and secure it in place with cable ties, connect up the wiring harness, and put in the three screws to hold the bracket in place.

And that's that.

You can program the alarm to automatically set after 50 seconds. And if you want to have both left and right indicators flashing to warn of a hazard (not normally possible with the 790), you just press the remote control twice, once more to switch off.

Am I right to assume a crimbo just removes the seat and three screws to steal a £280 KTM alarm? Or is it just an £82 flasher relay?

The siren will sound if the bike is moved in any way. Removing the seat without switching off the alarm will also trigger the siren.

Not sure how someone could remove the seat without unlocking the seat mechanism with the ignition key. I suppose it is possible with brute force, but why would someone want to steal just the alarm—it's no use without the remote controls. Yes, it's only three screws but in the meantime the siren is blasting away.

Great info, Tim. BUT, isn’t an alarm more trouble than they’re worth ?
I never specify one as they seem to play up/drain batteries etc and who takes much notice of them anyway ?

Great info, Tim. BUT, isn’t an alarm more trouble than they’re worth ?
I never specify one as they seem to play up/drain batteries etc and who takes much notice of them anyway ?

agree with you on this one and insurance 'saving' is minimal

when I enquired the saving was about £30 on a £300 alarm.

and the pain is if the bike is nicked and you did not set the alarm then you are shafted on the payout

Back
Top Bottom