2018 KTM 790 Adventure

Clearly we have different opinions, otherwise I wouldn't have spent the money and time installing an alarm. :)

As you alluded to before, Guernsey is hardly the world capital for bike thefts.

Did you discount having a tracker fitted ? My insurance company wouldn’t touch it without one.

and the pain is if the bike is nicked and you did not set the alarm then you are shafted on the payout

Yeah, because the first thing you’d tell the insurance company is that you didn’t turn the alarm on! :D:D

Fitted a Scotts Steering damper that I had taken off my old 690

Attachments

• 2019-07-12 18.12.30.jpg
    2019-07-12 18.12.30.jpg
    247.3 KB · Views: 895
How was it to fit?
Did you remove the existing one
Do you notice the difference ?

I had to have the frame pin shipped from the states (http://BRPmoto.com), and fit a long stepped arm on the damper. The bar risers are from Rally Raid (again from my old 690). Not been out to test it yet, but it's got to be better than the original that i've removed.

For info my sw-motech Side Stand enlarger arrived and it’s so heavy I don’t recommend it. It’s so heavy it could trigger the side stand switch.

Pretty broken 'well used' 790 S in dealer yesterday. Hope the guy was okay. Exhaust off, footpegs, bashplate mountings, oil on the floor. Bit of a mess but fixable I'd imagine. Obviously it's gone down reasonably hard but the fuel tank looked fine as far as I could see :)

It's inspired me to get a rear rack sorted ASAP and what'ya know...just bought a set off here!

Ram mount fitted. Under the plastic cap is a machine Ali slug with a hole through it. Long screws engage with the metal slug so it can't come off.

So multiple uses now. I've adapted a wind deflector using a Ram ball so with a long Ram arm I'm hopeful I'll have a simple removable deflector for journeys. Will post a pick. Don't want to clutter up the front end with a full screen as it'll only break when I drop it!

IMG_2823.jpgIMG_2824.jpgIMG_2825.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here you go. Hoping it'll work but will need to play around with it I expect.

Could get a larger deflector. Shorter arm might work too.

Point is, it's easily removed and stored.

IMG_2828.jpgIMG_2832.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What kind of fuel range are you 790 guys getting, my current commuter is boring me to death! (CB500X) and I was wondering how the 790 might stack up next year when a few used ones appear.

I can easily do two days commuting (240 Miles) on the CB's 17.5L tank - typically I can only get just under 15L in the tank at this point, which equates to about 72-73mpg (computer is almost bang on typically showing 74-75mpg)

I would need about 60mpg at a steady pace to easily meet this (like to have a couple of litres left rather than running on fumes all the time)

Not sure if it makes a difference, but I would be looking at the S model, my guess is these are far less desirable and likely to turn up significantly cheaper in the near future.

What kind of fuel range are you 790 guys getting, my current commuter is boring me to death! (CB500X) and I was wondering how the 790 might stack up next year when a few used ones appear.

I can easily do two days commuting (240 Miles) on the CB's 17.5L tank - typically I can only get just under 15L in the tank at this point, which equates to about 72-73mpg (computer is almost bang on typically showing 74-75mpg)

I would need about 60mpg at a steady pace to easily meet this (like to have a couple of litres left rather than running on fumes all the time)

Not sure if it makes a difference, but I would be looking at the S model, my guess is these are far less desirable and likely to turn up significantly cheaper in the near future.

I’m getting 280-300 miles to empty so typically looking for fuel at 250

Even ragging mine it never drops below 60mpg, and normally it's around 65mpg solo and a bit less 2 up.

I've never got more than 18 litres in the 20 litre tank even when the dash has remaining miles in single figures.

I've got 5000 miles on my undesirable S model.

Thanks guys, sounds like the fuel consumption is pretty good.

My only concern with the S is that it has zero damping adjustment, I have yet to ride a bike with a damping adjuster I have not altered from stock, sometimes as it is essential for solo use, other times to cater for a different load....

...and over time the damping will fade a little so testing a box fresh demo does not tell you much about how good it will be after 10k, very surprised KTM did not fit a rebound damping adjuster, the R Model gets the very top of the range kit, and the S gets the cheapest stuff they can knock up - would be OK if it was priced to compete with the V-Stroms and Verysys of this world.

Seems a bit of a mish-mash with all the electronic goodies and budget suspension, an adjustable shock would of only added a tenner to the factory gate cost, pretty sure the competitors (Tiger 800 / BMW 850) will have adjustable suspension....

...Might even test the 800 Tiger as Premier now do them.

I had a Tiger 800. The 790 is in my opinion miles more fun. The 790 twin feels so much more livelier than the triple and fuel consumption is prob 10 mpg better.

Triumph dealer servicing is quite expensive if you do a lot of miles as its a valve check every 12k and that's over £500 a pop.

I had a Tiger 800. The 790 is in my opinion miles more fun. The 790 twin feels so much more livelier than the triple and fuel consumption is prob 10 mpg better.

Triumph dealer servicing is quite expensive if you do a lot of miles as its a valve check every 12k and that's over £500 a pop.

OK, that's ruled that out then, I want a minimum 200 mile range (ideally 250+) and the 9k servicing schedule on the KTM's is a bonus, at 6k it i seasily possible to need two services in one year - and if one of those will always be tappets it gets pricey....

...then again the 18k on my 1190 was £700 (inc Fuel Filters) and I can't see the 790 costing much less - or having a better fuel filter design.

790 valve check should be easier as it's more accessible.

You were taken to the cleaners with your 18k service - mine was about £500 and that was with a dealer that wasn't known for their speed. 5 hours labour for a job that ktm reckon should take less than 3.

The 790 isn't perfect by any means and if the unadjustable shock is a problem you'll be able to get an aftermarket bespoke one to replace it which will be better than the one size fits all stuff fitted as standard.

The 790 isn't perfect by any means and if the unadjustable shock is a problem you'll be able to get an aftermarket bespoke one to replace it which will be better than the one size fits all stuff fitted as standard.

A very valid point, and come to think of it exactly what I had done on my previous 4 bikes!

Combined consumption on my 790 riding roads and at speed off road over approx 1200 miles was 62mpg.

Back
Top Bottom