R1200GS as a second bike

corrcullen

Reaction score
I currently have a 2007 R1200RT, and have been thinking of buying a second bike for something different and also fun.
I love my 2007 RT so I will be keeping that, as I find it perfect for touring and 2 up.
I considered a few options and one of them is a R1200GS (2007-2009 model), but I was wondering if they are too similar to justify having both?
I also considered a GSA which was my first choice, but it's not a possibility, as it's a little too wide to fit through my side entrance.
Anyone own both a GS & RT or switched between them and can advise?
I'm not necessarily loyal to the BMW brand, but I do all the servicing & maintenance myself, and those boxers engines are really easy to work on, for doing the bigger jobs such as valve adjustments etc.

There is a new thread in the water cooled section that might be of interest.

Back in 2009 I went from my 1150GS (why oh why did I sell it?) to 2008 1200RT....it was an itch I had to scratch. Big mistake...the bikes are very different with the GS being more versatile but most importantly...MUCH more fun to ride. 6 months later I was back on a 1200GS/GSA where I have stayed ever since. So yes the bikes are a very different riding experience.

I had an 06 GSA and bought an 07 RT. I thought I would keep the GSA just in case. I'm glad I did as after 14 months on the RT I was done and back riding my GSA

The RT was great but the GSA was just better :clap

I would say get something completely different. Maybe the F800GS or another make altogether. What about something frivolous like the Honda F6C. :friday

The GSA is highly versatile and with a good screen (I like the Givi AF 330) probably close to the RT in comfort terms. This probably puts them too close and you'll end up hardly using one of them as the other does all you need.

If i were you id get something different as somebody has said..i run an 1150gsa for big miles touring two up etc....and have just got a thruxton for morning rides just lazy days out...two completely different bikes. I think you would find the GS and an RT to same purpose imho..get an R nine T if you want to stay BMW and they are a great ride......

I've had the whole R1200 collection..... Well, apart from the hideous ST!
Have you tried a 1200S? I have one as a keeper. Much, much faster than the others, comfortable, trackday able, etc.
Different enough from the RT too.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

If it had to be second BMW it would be an R1200S, and if I couldn't find a decent one, an R

They will be the same width.

My side entrance is 960 mm wide at the narrowest point between the 2 walls.
My 2007 RT is listed as being 905 mm wide, and fits through, but not much space either side.
The GS (same year) is listed as being 915 mm wide, while the GSA is listed as being 990 mm wide, so am guessing the GS will fit through, but the GSA will not.

1200R = a bit dull. I had the Classic version. Good fun for a couple of hours, but does not excel at anything. Don't think of them as an RT-lite........ I made that mistake!

My side entrance is 960 mm wide at the narrowest point between the 2 walls.
My 2007 RT is listed as being 905 mm wide, and fits through, but not much space either side.
The GS (same year) is listed as being 915 mm wide, while the GSA is listed as being 990 mm wide, so am guessing the GS will fit through, but the GSA will not.

One has to assume that is with the panniers mounted? I suggest that you could em... take them off before you shove it up the side entrance... Oh matron !

1200R = a bit dull. I had the Classic version. Good fun for a couple of hours, but does not excel at anything. Don't think of them as an RT-lite........ I made that mistake!

That's interesting, as that's what I imagined it would be, a more fun and lighter version of the RT..

R1200R - nicest bike I've ever owned - in the warm weather.
Light, nimble, & mine has the nicest BMW gearbox I've ever used.
I hadn't had it long before I sold my GSA
It excels at being a light, naked bike.
An RT is better for a long haul up the motorway I totally accept.
If I ever have to "downsize" to one bike, this will be it.

I found the 1200R to be fun for an hour or so, but then it would just be dull. Lots of turbulence off the little screen, turbulence off clocks when I removed screen, rubbish heated grips, not great two up, and not great when loaded.
The biggest mistake I ever made was riding to southern Spain it..... Totally ruined the trip!
Try selling a 1200R too.... They are regarded by many as a pup.
I'm a boxer fan, but there are many better nakeds out there.

I found the 1200R to be fun for an hour or so, but then it would just be dull. Lots of turbulence off the little screen, turbulence off clocks when I removed screen, rubbish heated grips, not great two up, and not great when loaded.
The biggest mistake I ever made was riding to southern Spain it..... Totally ruined the trip!
Try selling a 1200R too.... They are regarded by many as a pup.
I'm a boxer fan, but there are many better nakeds out there.

I didn't go to Spain on it but this sounds like the Guzzi Breva 1100 especially screen turbulence only marginally reduced when screen removed. It needed something like an AF330 though back then I didn't know such a thing existed for any bike.

I have got a C Bailey's tall screen fitted, which is noisy above 70mph, but fine at lower speeds; as I rarely take it on the motorway, because the RT is so much better, it's a compromise I'm happy with.

Back
Top Bottom