Eternal gratitude awaits - help Garmin.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Popell

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
OK I'm a big believer in God helping those that help themselves but we've failed on that count.

Problem: Garmin Nuvi3598LMTD
Replaced under warranty (with three days to go) after year long fannying around trying to get the DAB traffic to work
Garmin Support suggested many things that just seemed to make it worse..

New unit arrives, seems to work but ran it through Garmin Express to register and update it and now get :

MAP DATA NOT AVAILABLE when trying to enter address to navigate to
I can find the destination on the map and tell it to navigate there, all good but it will not accept address/postcode etc.

Anyone else come across this? I realise it is a car unit but I'm a bit concerned that the software problem (if thats what it is) might screw up the Zumo on next plug in

I'm not faniliar with the specific device but I guess they are all much the same. There are several possible causes of the problem, including:

1. The detailed maps being installed but not turned on. This is quite common and easy to fix.

2. The detailed maps have been installed but have not been unlocked.

3. No detailed maps have been installed.

Let's start with (1) as it's easiest.

5. Selecting maps on your Garmin Satnav:
Touch the wrench icon on the Where to/View map screen
Touch Settings (or Locale on some models)
Touch Map
Touch Map Info

Press the checkbox next to the maps to be selected on the satnav
A tick will appear in the box. The map is now selected.

Does this fix your problem?

Yes. Phew.

No. Let's press on... In the suggestion above, I cut straight to solution 5, in the answer below. You'll probably have to now start at the top and work your way down. Good luck.

No Detailed Maps Found That Support Routing

A lot of people have looked for solutions to the message "No detailed maps that support routing" which can appear on Garmin Nuvi satnavs.

This solution can also be used when the message doesn't appear but no maps are loaded. When no maps are loaded try the instructions in paragraph 5 below Selecting Maps on your Garmin Satnav

If that doesn't solve your problem the maps may be locked. In this case return to paragraph 2 below and follow the instructions to the end

(This solution is for both PC and MAC users. Follow the instructions only for whichever you use).

The "No Detailed Maps Found That Support Routing" message may appear on your Garmin nuvi satnav for the following reasons:

The Satnav is missing it's unlock code

The maps on the Satnav have been disabled

1. To determine the cause of the message, touch the screen until the message "No Detailed Maps Found That Support Routing" disappears.

If you see a "Can't Unlock Maps" message following this, remove any microSD / SD cards in the device and follow the instructions below for Retrieving your unlock codes followed by the instructions for Creating an unlock file

If you do not get the Can't Unlock Maps message then skip to Paragraph 5. below Selecting Maps on your Garmin Satnav

2. To retrieve unlock codes you need to have your satnav registered with garmin. If you haven't already registered it, connect the satnav to your computer and go to www.garmin.com. Select your country from the dropdown list and click "Register your garmin device". Follow the prompts. You'll be asked to create a username and password. Keep them safe. You'll need them anytime you need to update your maps or solve problems in the future.

3. Retrieving your unlock codes:

Select Manage Maps
Select Details

The unlock code is located under the Installed Maps.
Creating an unlock code file for PC:
Plug your Garmin device into the USB port
Double-Click on My Computer or Computer located on the desktop
Right-Click on the Garmin or nuvi drive
Click Explore
Double-Click on the Garmin folder
Right-Click in a blank space in this window
Move your mouse over the word New
Select Text Document
Press Enter / Return on your keyboard
Double-Click on the New Text Document. This will open the New Text Document in a window called Notepad
Type the unlock code that is listed in the Manage Maps section of your myGarmin account in all upper-case letters with no spaces
Select File
Select Save As
Change the Save As Type to All Files
Type gmapprom.unl in all lower-case letters for the File name
Select Save
Close the Notepad window
Delete the New Text Document file

Disconnect the Satnav from your computer

Creating an unlock code file for Mac:

Open the TextEdit application located in the Applications folder on the Mac HD
Click Format
Select Make Plain Text
Type in the unlock code that you retrieved from your mygarmin account. The unlock code should be in all capital letters and with no dashes.
Click Save As and name the file as gmapprom.unl (Note: Be sure to uncheck the box If no extension is provided, use .txt)

Copy the gmapprom.unl file to the GARMIN folder on your device. (Note: Save the file directly to the Garmin mass-storage device if connected)

4. If you have a second maps you may also need to unlock it e.g. if the first map is USA and second is EUROPE this may also need to be unlocked

Plug your Garmin device into the USB port
Double-Click on My Computer or Computer located on the desktop
Right-Click on the Garmin or nuvi drive
Click Explore
Double-Click on the Garmin folder
Right-Click in a blank space in this window
Move your mouse over the word New
Select Text Document
Press Enter / Return on your keyboard
Double-Click on the New Text Document. This will open the New Text Document in a window called Notepad
Type the European unlock code that is listed in the Manage Maps section of your myGarmin account. This will need to be typed in all upper-case letters with no spaces
Select File
Select Save As
Change the Save As Type to All Files
Type gmapprom1.unl in all lower-case letters for the File name
Select Save
Close the Notepad window
Delete the New Text Document file

Disconnect the Satnav from your computer

5. Selecting maps on your Garmin Satnav:
Touch the wrench icon on the Where to/View map screen
Touch Settings (or Locale on some models)
Touch Map
Touch Map Info

Press the checkbox next to the maps to be selected on the satnav
A tick will appear in the box. The map is now selected.

Let us know how you get on, please.

Richard

PS The solutions above were found here: http://www.fixya.com/support/r6197735-no_detailed_maps_found_support_routing

That seems like a really useful site. I have bookmarked it for future reference

Richard, thank you so much for your response.
I think I figured it out, or at least have made some progress.
I have Lifetime maps and did find the unlock codes via mygarmin however I reckon the problem was my pc which ground to a very slow crawl whenever I ran Garmin Express with the c drive running at 100% for the entire duration of the updates - and I tried it many many times, seemingly with different results each time.
Having reformatted the micro sd several times and apparently getting the maps loaded (they were certainly there in some form or another with the .unl too), I decided to buy a new card along with a SSD drive for the PC.
5 hours of cloning the c drive then running express has given me maos on it that I can actually navigate on - the maps loaded being 2017.20 3D, DEM and the 2017.20 ALL .
Unfortunately I fiddled with some settings on the SSD to optimize it and the PC went AWOL again - now a quarter of the way through re-cloning it - looks like a late night.
Just hoping the traffic function works on it after all this!

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom