2610 Power Supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcd87

Reaction score
Hello,

I have just bought a second hand 2610 unit for my occasional need for one on the bike.

What type of lead is required for the power source as the cable supplied has the connector to the harness missing?

The pin connection to the gps unit itself is intact.

Is it possible to wire the the cable into a new DIN/Hella plug?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Dan

Hi Dan
I hooked mine into a 12 volt switched supply on the bike.
So yes I wiring it into a DIN/Hella plug should work and remember to fuse the cable.
Is your Hella socket switched, if not and you leave the unit turned on it will flatten the bikes battery DAMHIK.

Adrian

Thanks for the info Adrian.

No my Hella socket isn't switched. I am hopefully getting a lockable mount so will probably end up hard wiring it into my fuzeblock.

A 2610.. They were out of date when i used mine in 2008. Reception was crap too. Hope you paid less than £10 for it.

I sold mine with all the power leads and touratech mount for £30 a few years back. A new power lead will be worth more than the unit.

Sent from my G7-L01 using Tapatalk

A 2610.. They were out of date when i used mine in 2008. Reception was crap too. Hope you paid less than £10 for it.

I sold mine with all the power leads and touratech mount for £30 a few years back. A new power lead will be worth more than the unit.

Sent from my G7-L01 using Tapatalk

Define out of date! One of the last of the dedicated motorcycle devices. I would still be using mine it had not finally given up the ghost. Never had a reception problem with mine and using openstreetmaps I had better maps than Garmin supply. If course you don't get the bragging rights that come with having the latest (even it is really only a car device in a rugged case)

Nothing to do with bragging. The recievers on them are very out dated now. I'd loose reception on a cloudy day and in built up cities. I'd have to plug in the external aerial at times. Nightmare. It was also very slow and the screen was always delaminating. My Montana is years old now but still feels decades ahead of the 2610.

Also lack of battery was a massive pain in the arse too.

Still, it did its job and got me around south America and Africa. But ten years ago, it was all we had.

I Just can't see any reason to use one now. Even a £30 smart phone with free maps is better.

Define out of date! One of the last of the dedicated motorcycle devices. I would still be using mine it had not finally given up the ghost. Never had a reception problem with mine and using openstreetmaps I had better maps than Garmin supply. If course you don't get the bragging rights that come with having the latest (even it is really only a car device in a rugged case)

Plus one from me.
Rugged unit, waterproof, maps are varied free and a hell of a lot better than the ones I get from Tomtom in my car.
Plus if it gets nicked or packs up it has only cost me a fraction of the cost of a newer model and the locking mount looks fantastic.
But hey I ride an 1150 so maybe that says it all.:p

Adrian

Nothing to do with bragging. The recievers on them are very out dated now. I'd loose reception on a cloudy day and in built up cities. I'd have to plug in the external aerial at times. Nightmare. It was also very slow and the screen was always delaminating. My Montana is years old now but still feels decades ahead of the 2610.

Also lack of battery was a massive pain in the arse too.

Still, it did its job and got me around south America and Africa. But ten years ago, it was all we had.

I Just can't see any reason to use one now. Even a £30 smart phone with free maps is better.

Looks like you are taking a sample of one as regards reception etc as applying to all. My experience of NOT having reception problems is just as valid. Yes the screens tend to de laminate over time. I had mine replaced once and would have kept it had it not failed in other ways. As for a smart phone, it just makes me laugh how people won't spend money on a decent Sat Nav but will happily buy phones costing hundreds and then try to use them for everything-there is a saying about jack of all trades! On my bike my phone remains in my pocket.

John

This is a thread about powering a specific device, a question that was apparently answered several posts back.

Start a fresh thread, preferably in the pub, to argue about the relative merits of GPS devices, old and new.

This is a thread about powering a specific device, a question that was apparently answered several posts back.

Start a fresh thread, preferably in the pub, to argue about the relative merits of GPS devices, old and new.

Why don't you just do what you usually do if you don't like the direction a thread is heading and close it?

Wapping. Every reply to this thread has been relevant. No one here has a problem.

The original post was about a power supply and that question has been answered and more opinions and information has been added. The OP is free to ingore or absorb anything else at his/her will.

This is true of 99% of threads on every forum. Otherwise it wouldn't be a forum. It would be a Q&Q website.

Threads evolve. And maybe so should your perception of what needs to moderated.

No offense meant buddy. Ride safe

Looks like you are taking a sample of one as regards reception etc as applying to all. My experience of NOT having reception problems is just as valid. Yes the screens tend to de laminate over time. I had mine replaced once and would have kept it had it not failed in other ways. As for a smart phone, it just makes me laugh how people won't spend money on a decent Sat Nav but will happily buy phones costing hundreds and then try to use them for everything-there is a saying about jack of all trades! On my bike my phone remains in my pocket.

John
That's fair enough. I just cant see the point of one now when there are so much better units out there now.

It's like stubbornly using an old transistor radio with crackly sound when you can have a DAB with crystal clear reception and 100 channels.

I had three 2610's over the years. One eas stolen, one screen fell apart and the other was sold as spares once its screen fell apart too. All of them I had problem with reception. Especially in a car. I have fond memories of using them and did like their features and simplicity.

I wouldn't trade in my Montana anything though. It's leagues ahead.

Sorry for the on topic off topic yet again. ;)

Find me on Facebook: MotoTed & MotoRevive.

That's fair enough. I just cant see the point of one now when there are so much better units out there now.

It's like stubbornly using an old transistor radio with crackly sound when you can have a DAB with crystal clear reception and 100 channels.

Sorry for the on topic off topic yet again. ;)

Find me on Facebook: MotoTed & MotoRevive.

I prefer to look at it as stubbornly listening to vinyl rather than MP3's

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom