Which replacement screen (R100GS) ?

airhead_eire

Reaction score
Good afternoon fellow airhead-ers !

After cracking the original screen on my '91 R100GS, I'm looking for feedback on some of the aftermarket screens
available for these bikes e.g. Ermax (+10cm) screen, Skidmarx Flip-Up etc.
All info and opinions appreciated. I'm also interested in how they compare to the original BMW item.

https://www.skidmarx.co.uk/bmw/bmw-r80-100gs-para-flip-up-tall-screen.html

http://www.motea.com/en/wind-protec...-r-100-gs-90-94-light-smoke-i4107-58085-0.htm

Cheers,
Mark.

Had the ermax, still lots of buffeting with my 6'2" frame

theres also wudo and parabellum to consider.

Had the ermax, still lots of buffeting with my 6'2" frame

theres also wudo and parabellum to consider.

I'm around 5' 10" and I didn't find the BMW item all that bad but I was wondering if the like of the Ermax with its extra height
would be any good. I'll take a look at the Wudo and Parabellum items now to see what they look like......

I don't know if wudo are still available, they pop up on eBay occasionally. At your height I'd reckon the ermax is worth a punt to get you back running and if you want to try out the wudo or parabellum give me a shout and you can have a look at the ones that I've stashed away for future use by myself.

I think I've posted pics on here before comparing the parabellum and ermax, if you can't find them let me know and I'll post them again.

Do a search on here for parabellum and a bunch of threads come up such as this one which has some good pics of the parabellum http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/263500-Screen-Anyone!!!?highlight=Parabellum

I have had the Parabellum on a 92 BMW R100 GSPD ... Was fantastic , thoroughly recommend it , I'm 6'2" and was a brilliant fit and quality - well worth the bucks

No problem, these pics might help too. One shows ermax next to standard screen. Other shows the touring version of the parabellum placed over the ermax which was on the bike. The narrower parabellum sport version is the one featured in the link I gave above. I'd say that the parabellum is probably too big for rough off road use.

Attachments

• IMG_2575e.jpg
    IMG_2575e.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 835
  • IMG_0606e.jpg
    IMG_0606e.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 964
I tried around three different screens before settling on a medium size Parabellum (bought from the USA last year) plus a Wunderlich wind deflector!
I just had to go this route due to severe buffetting and wind noise. I can go visor up all day now if so inclinded and my ears are bathed in engine only noise (as well as other creaks and groans). Herself behind me also has noticed a dramatic improvement on this front.
Visually it's quite a big screen on the bike but boy is it comfortable. I used to drive an RT in the 80's so I can live with this.
/Fran
ps and as Bill says it would not really be suitable for off road use.

That Ermax above is interesting - slightly taller than stock but similar in looks. The original piece is no longer available now (from BMW at least).

Heres the Streamline from Wudo. Shown alonside and also on top of the standard screen.

Attachments

• DSC02477e.jpg
    DSC02477e.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 740
  • DSC02478e.jpg
    DSC02478e.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 702
I tried a few screens but in the end cut about an inch of the std screen. Angled back there's less noise and buffeting. I should point out I'm a tiny 5 ft 8ins. I have never found a screen that doesn't buffet your head around which I would trade against wind protection anyway.

I've now found that the wudo also gives me buffeting around mid to top of helmet, by moving my hand in front of the screen to mimic a deflector it improves abit. The wudo fitting doesn't make for easy adjustment and I've foubnd that to get it to a lowered position without seruiously tensioning the screen I've had to elongate the fixing holes in the screen itself, so next run out will be in owere pposition and I'll see how that fares.It is an improvement on the Ermax though. Failing all this the Parabellum barn door will be the next one to try. I might even find that the factory screen in lower setting is best compromise between buffetting and protection.

I've now found that the wudo also gives me buffeting around mid to top of helmet, by moving my hand in front of the screen to mimic a deflector it improves abit. The wudo fitting doesn't make for easy adjustment and I've foubnd that to get it to a lowered position without seruiously tensioning the screen I've had to elongate the fixing holes in the screen itself, so next run out will be in owere pposition and I'll see how that fares.It is an improvement on the Ermax though. Failing all this the Parabellum barn door will be the next one to try. I might even find that the factory screen in lower setting is best compromise between buffetting and protection.

Get the jig saw out.............

Went for a long ride with the Wudo the other day, it works pretty well in lowest position, none of the rough buffetting that it gave in high position and definately better than the ermax. I'll still have to try the parabellum though even though it looks ridiculously big.

You're welcome to try my GSPD with the parabellum sometime Bill.
I'll have it at the Airhead day in Athlone on 1st July if you are there. Or we could rendevouz somewhere between Cork and Limerick sometime.
Fran

Well, I've tried the tall touring version of the Parabellum for several hundred Km now. My conclusion is that it is a cosy space behind it and tempts me to ride faster than usual. Still felt some buffetting as could be seen from the spray of dead insects across the top of my helmet, but I'd say it was better than the screen that was fitted to a R1200RT I test rode a while back. However very easy to ride with visor up, which is handy for essential tasks such as scratching my nose :D From trial and error of placement of gloved hand around area of top of screen I think the fitting of a wunderlich deflector would make it perfect for minimising buffetting. It is very tall and I hit my head off it a few times when leaning over to get off the bike, I think rough off road stuff while standing on pegs would lead to a nasty jab in the thorax from the top of the screen. Ultimately I think it has to come down to wether I want some of the air rushing past me to give the feeling of speed or don't want to feel as though my head will be snapped off when doing higher speeds such as motorways. I'll leave the parabellum on for another while as I'm going to give a corbin seat a go and I think it will position me slightly lower too so I'm curious about what effect that will have.

Yes, I have a Wunderlisch version....pm me you email and I will send a pic if you like. Say £30. BUT I would say that it didn’t do much for my GSPD. I can send it over and if you like it send me the money or if not just send it back plus cost of postage.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom