Curves book - Scotland

Glen Lyon is definitely worth a visit if you can fit it in. From Fortingall the road follows the glen to Pubil, where it turns off and goes through some deer gates. The road through the gates is not marked on some maps and the surface is pretty broken up - should be no trouble on a well-ridden GS though! It eventually comes out near Killin. Coffee stop at the Glen Lyon Post Office.

Glen Lyon is definitely worth a visit if you can fit it in. From Fortingall the road follows the glen to Pubil, where it turns off and goes through some deer gates. The road through the gates is not marked on some maps and the surface is pretty broken up - should be no trouble on a well-ridden GS though! It eventually comes out near Killin. Coffee stop at the Glen Lyon Post Office.

That is a great tip, thanks for that. Here is the route I think https://www.motogoloco.com/map?route=32340&key=40bfd649.

The map indicates the road through the deer gates is private - no issues there?

On the things to see list there,I wouldn't bother with " skyfall" all that is ,is a lay by where he parked up. It's a dead end road off glen coe. You would be far better going on a few more miles and adding in the kinlochleven loop ,which is superb to ride .
The dead end road is actually Glen Etive and is worth the scenic detour.

Been through a couple of times - no signs on the gates or anything else to indicate it is private. Just a gated road as far as I am aware.

Road surface was getting pretty ropey last time I went over....not a problem for us rufty tufties eh!

I've seen the advice to go May/early June to avoid the midges and just wondered when midge season finishes?
I was thinking of doing the curves route more like September/October, will this be late enough for the midges to have buggered off?

Oneplus 2 = my phone

I've seen the advice to go May/early June to avoid the midges and just wondered when midge season finishes?
I was thinking of doing the curves route more like September/October, will this be late enough for the midges to have buggered off?

Oneplus 2 = my phone

Generally yes, but it really depends on the weather. Warm and damp autumn and they can carry on a bit. Just assume they've died!

On the things to see list there,I wouldn't bother with " skyfall" all that is ,is a lay by where he parked up. It's a dead end road off glen coe. You would be far better going on a few more miles and adding in the kinlochleven loop ,which is superb to ride .

When saying things like this, it would be really helpful if people explained what the ‘Loop’ is and where it went.

Here is what I think it is: https://livefastdieold.scot/breathtaking-roads/forest/ At 20 miles, it’s probably worth a detour, as Michelin would put it.

It’s not meant to be the definitive guide to everything great and good in Scotland. Don’t forget the book is published for an international audience, many more of whom will have seen James Bond films than will ever have visited Scotland or even ride a motorcycle.

Back
Top Bottom