Non GS But still very important.

The whole knighthood thing is a bit of a farce these days, Very few given to those who genuinely earn them by performing really outstanding work, most go to showbiz luvvies or sports personalities

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The whole knighthood thing is a bit of a farce these days, Very few given to those who genuinely earn them by performing really outstanding work, most go to showbiz luvvies or sports personalities

And retiring senior civil servants.

I like to see us coming together to show our gratitude for his efforts . what with you can fuck off ,bet the queen thought that when she met all them old boys . give him a chance he would have rather gone down the pub than been shot at .

Not strictly true. I was delighted with my Honour, completely surprised, and never gave it a thought or the remotest expectation, as I climbed The Seven Summits, raising half a mill. for our hospice in the process. Several, like the occasional hair cutter who was in the news at the time, seem a little perculiar, but the ceremony delivered our proudest moment to mum, dad and moi.
Something like a Knighthood is a huge honour, and I could name several of our war heroes that richly deserve such recognition.
Just my thoughts, of course, but I wouldn't part with mine for anything.
Alistair.

No doubt you deserved your award, but the trouble is that the knighthood and enoblement is bestowed on so many people who receive it for just doing their jobs and nothing of any distinction. The few that really deserve the award get drowned out by the masses. The award therefore appears to have meaningless value.

I look apon any veteran who has received any of the bravery or distinguish service awards in awe. Those awards in my mind rank far higher than any knighthood. Why? Because they been earned through great personal risk and hardship, with usually a great deal of sacrifice. The recipients of these awards all carry the mental scars of their achievements.

Many who have served, know the true value of awards and don't hold much consideration for Sirs and Lords.

:nenau

Moderators,
please remove this from the "For Sale" section, its just turning into a pissing war which has no relevance to the OPs post or indeed to this section of the site.

I thought he'd already been rewarded by a grateful country with the award of the DFM? Are we rewarding old age here? That being the case why didn't we enoble Harry Patch when he was alive.

While we're on the subject...

While I have no problem with an honours system. There are too many of them. Why is a dedicated school crossing attendant's years of diligent service worth less than a person who gives millions to a political party? We only need one class of honour, a knighthood if you like.

Petition

Signed

My Father served with Bomber Command throughout the War and they received very little recognition.

H

Far more worthy than Ant & Dec

Couldn't agree more but unfortunately (as someone else has already said) these "Honours" are pretty much meaningless in today's Society and to give one to him now would actually be demeaning IMHO.
They gave one to Jimmy Saville FFS!!

Hello,
I just signed the petition, “Give Britain's last surviving Dambuster hero a knighthood.” I think this is important. Will you sign it too?
Here’s the link:

https://www.change.org/p/give-brita..._context=signature_receipt&recruiter=20549053

Thanks,:beerjug::thumby::clap

Bazz

I signed this when you put it up. I am now bombarded with other petitions from the web site most of them in Spanish. The unsubscribe button links to a site and my firewall blocked code being download.

Suggest you scan your machine..

I signed this when you put it up. I am now bombarded with other petitions from the web site most of them in Spanish. The unsubscribe button links to a site and my firewall blocked code being download.

Suggest you scan your machine..

Sounds like you're spreading diseases again Barrie. You should get on to your IT retailer :reaper

Back
Top Bottom