Head light bulbs

Bendy toy

Reaction score
My really excellent HID-50 dip beam packed up. I couldn't find the fault so swapped out the set for the old 55W halogens.

Tonight an unlit dual carriageway in the rain took me right back to the days of Joe Lucas Prince of Darkness.

Sent somehow.

HID

might have some HID lying around, if you are interested, will dig it out...

A quick look this morning - my dip beam burner looks like the internals have melted though the glass is intact. I'll swap them over and see what happens. If that's the fault, i'll probably go for LEDs. Less hassle with wires, ballasts. boxes, etc.

A quick look this morning - my dip beam burner looks like the internals have melted though the glass is intact. I'll swap them over and see what happens. If that's the fault, i'll probably go for LEDs. Less hassle with wires, ballasts. boxes, etc.

That was my thought when I changed mine, plus, even covered in ACF50 the ballasts were showing signs of corrosion.

Did we ever get a definitive "buy these brand/model LED lamps" for your bike ?
such a massive variation in brands /cost etc out there

Bendy, it's the inside of the HID bulb grey in colour? I'm guessing of course without seeing a picture, but if that's a yes, then the bulb has gone, that's all. The salts inside the bulbs eventually give up.

I had to replace my dipped burner as it went 'intermittent', Les Wassall sorted me with one, its been fine ever since.

I will swap out to LED the next time it plays up.

The headlight has the H7 connectors inside the case and a three pin connector with right angle connector on the outside next to the pilot bulb.

Does anyone know if there is an inline connector to fit the OEM headlamp outer connector?

Bendy, it's the inside of the HID bulb grey in colour? I'm guessing of course without seeing a picture, but if that's a yes, then the bulb has gone, that's all. The salts inside the bulbs eventually give up.

IIRC that is how it looks so hopefully I just need a new bulb/burner. It's aways been a bit flakey on the dip beam. I'd get the odd LampF that went away again but never did get to the bottom of it.

IIRC that is how it looks so hopefully I just need a new bulb/burner. It's aways been a bit flakey on the dip beam. I'd get the odd LampF that went away again but never did get to the bottom of it.
I think the HID bulbs slowly fail. Mine went and only when i fitted the new one did I realise how dim the old one had become, before it finally gave up. It also failed to light up on a few occasions in the weeks before it died. And it too had a grey contents in the centre.

I've not noticed mine failing to light up but it definitely silver/grey inside.
I fancy going to LEDs. Phillips offer one that has a sliding ferrule so the depth into the reflector can be adjusted.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272450840088

1 Pair Philips LED Chips 4800LM H7 Headlamp Headlight Kit Beam Bulb 6000K

The issue is The OEM lamp has the H7 connectors captive inside the case. An adaptor to fit the 3 contact lamp body connector would be handy to have.

Sent somehow.

I've not noticed mine failing to light up but it definitely silver/grey inside.
I fancy going to LEDs. Phillips offer one that has a sliding ferrule so the depth into the reflector can be adjusted.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272450840088

1 Pair Philips LED Chips 4800LM H7 Headlamp Headlight Kit Beam Bulb 6000K

The issue is The OEM lamp has the H7 connectors captive inside the case. An adaptor to fit the 3 contact lamp body connector would be handy to have.

Sent somehow.

Are these Canbus compatible, just wondered as they might be ok for the high beam in my car, also I remember in the past you saying that you didn't like 6,000k as they were too blue for you, what will you do about the cooling for these bendy? I fitted some leds on one of my TLS's and the fans on the rear are exposed so will cool them ok.

I don't know about those Phillips bulbs but I'd expect them to be canbus compatible. TBH I would prefer 5000K but 6000K seems to be the default others can be silly expensive. My pencil beam spots are 6000K but they were cheap enough to take a punt. A bit more white & a little less blue would be better. (IMO).

I think the LED fan should stick out the back of the GS headlamp. It will need cover caps with a hole for the bulb stem. The ferrule is held by grub screw so may well just slip on and replace the ferrule. But that's guesswork I'll get reviews and ask the supplier before plunging.

BTW, my car (Fiat Panda) has two H4 headlights. The bike with a single HID puts more light on the road with a better bean cut off.

Fairly sure they are not Philips bulbs, they are just using Philips LED chips.

Oh well I've taken a punt on those Phillips LED bulbs. The sliding ferrule did it for me. OK, I'm easily pleased, but it allows the lamp rear covers to be easily fitted.

All I need now is a female socket to fit the loom plug that normally goes into the back of the headlight.

Be interested in ur opinion on those bulbs when u fit them as I want to swap to LED bulbs but there are so many to choose from its bloody confusing.

Oneplus 2 = my phone

Back
Top Bottom