Engine corrosion

I'm asking for bmw to contact me as I was concerned when the dealer told me a short motor would be supplied, and when asked about the motor warranty wasn't sure

If your bike is 22 months old then the engine will have the reminder of the manufacturers warranty i.e. 2 months

If your bike is older than 24 months and doesn't have an extended warranty in place then there is no warranty on the replacement engine unless you make a financial contribution (however small) toward the repair then in which case you will get a 24 month warranty on the replacement engine

If I was looking at buying a second hand bike with a differential of 10,000 miles between motor & chassis I would think long & hard

That must be just you then because if it were me I would be happier with a later and lower mileage motor

Jersey maybe only 9x5 but we seem to use our bikes and put more mileage on than some people on this forum.:thumb

That's good to hear :thumby:

Have now had a reply from the dealers to say that the motor will be replaced, they will need the bike for a week and I would pay for the 600 mile service.
Spoke to bmw uk to let them know I was not happy with this, they then spoke to the dealer. Had an e-mail to say I would not have to pay for the service & they would try to lend me a decent bike whilst mine is in, instead of the scooter or old 800cc they try to give you.
I have still not had it clarified if the new motor warranty ends when the bike finishes in August 2017 but am not surprised as the dealer backup is not great.
Will wait with baited breath for an update on when this will all take place. Maybe a triumph or ktm test ride is round the corner :D

If you think our triumph or KTM dealers will give you a better service than that I wish you luck.

Glad to hear your getting it sorted. I must admit my experience with them over a BMW used car warranty was good.

Have fun running it in again!

If your bike is 22 months old then the engine will have the reminder of the manufacturers warranty i.e. 2 months

If your bike is older than 24 months and doesn't have an extended warranty in place then there is no warranty on the replacement engine unless you make a financial contribution (however small) toward the repair then in which case you will get a 24 month warranty on the replacement engine

I have just had my offer letter to take up Extended Warranty and there is a clause says that for Component Cover "Up to the market value of insured motorcycle at the time of claim or up to a maximum £1,000 whichever is greater, inclusive of VAT, either £0, £50 or £100 as specified on the confirmation letter", so they want £386.75 premium to give you cover for £900 after excess of £100. Apart from this seeming really low, that reads to me that an extended warranty would not cover the cost of a replacement engine? Anybody experienced this please? Cheers, Jonno58

Just to let everyone have an update on what's happening. My bike has been at the dealers since 23rd April and stil no word when I'll get it back.
Turns out the motor is being rebuilt at my dealers which is the last thing I wanted.
Not a happy bunny:anger::anger:anger

And I'm still waiting :mad:

As per my previous post, I'd press them for a deal to change the bike. It doesn't fill you with confidence if it's taking them this long to change an engine. Do they actually know how to do it?

I wouldn't have confidence in letting dealers strip and rebuild engines, can see problems further down the line if they adopt this course of action.

As to what to do otherwise, maybe look at treating corrosion in situ?

I cannot believe bmw are going down the route of basically supplying new crankcases and not a short engine without fuel injection, electronics etc. I contacted the so called customer services manager at uk motoraad and his attitude & response was bad, as if I was keeping from something important.
I shouldn't think my dealer has ever re-built a bike motor like this before & is blaming bmw as they have to keep ordering bits that obviously not thought of in this type of re-build. Initially an e-mail from bmw stated an engine was being shipped in and therefore having tested my patience for so long I will take advice on Monday on my rights. I'm away on Friday morning to Le Mans for moto GP and if I have it back will be glad I have bmw breakdown cover.

I cannot believe bmw are going down the route of basically supplying new crankcases and not a short engine without fuel injection, electronics etc. I contacted the so called customer services manager at uk motoraad and his attitude & response was bad, as if I was keeping from something important.
I shouldn't think my dealer has ever re-built a bike motor like this before & is blaming bmw as they have to keep ordering bits that obviously not thought of in this type of re-build. Initially an e-mail from bmw stated an engine was being shipped in and therefore having tested my patience for so long I will take advice on Monday on my rights. I'm away on Friday morning to Le Mans for moto GP and if I have it back will be glad I have bmw breakdown cover.

Said it before your engine will only end up being as good as the mechanic doing the work and how spotlessly clean their working environment is. it does not bode well if they are having to keep stopping to order extra parts for the rebuild possibly meaning a partially built engine is left on a bench for days at a time.

Our workshops stopped the policy of taking mechanics off one job to do other urgent jobs because that is where mistakes get made (and that was on less complicated stuff than full engine strips)

After not receiving a call by lunchtime today as I was supposed to get me bike back, I took some advice and wrote a letter to the md of the dealership. Basically I have rejected the bike and received a call early evening acknowledging receipt of the letter and promising a call from them tomorrow.
I copied the service manager of bmw uk in with the letter and not received anything, hardly surprising as he hasn't been very helpful so far. Hopefully tomorrow will get this sorted out at last.

Good luck remember you paid premium money for a premium bike and you should be enjoying it without any worries or problems not for it be in pieces in their workshop.

Well still not had any confirmation of what is happening since i dropped the letter in rejecting my bike as advised by trading standards. Dealers fair play have loaned me a new 2017 gsa which they had to register for my trip to le mans for the moto gp.
They are still awaiting head bolts which are on back order with bmw Germany. Copied the letter to manager of customer services motorrad and didn't even receive anything from him, not impressed.

Just be careful as to what you post/say on this as to the developments which unfolded with the case of Mattgslc, he appeared to make his thread into a slagging off of the bike and BMW and it did not appear to end too well. Just saying be careful. Fwiw I would not be happy with new casings being put on as whilst a grease monkey (oop's motorcycle technician) can build an engine looking at a manual you will not have the same conditions on a work bench at a dealers compared to the factory. I would also say that given the cost and age of the bike you are well within your rights to follow the advice given by trading standards.

Thanks for the advice, but did not intend to slag either off. The bike is still not ready & haven't had anymore contact. The only reason i have put my experience on the site was to make other people aware what they may go through. Anyway what happened to free speech ?

Back
Top Bottom