F800GS Instrument Fault

fletman

Reaction score
Hi, new to the site and haven't been able to find any answers to my problem!

I have had an issue with the KOMBI unit which I cannot resolve. It basically started with the clock on the display only operating when the ignition was on. It would stop (but keep the current time at shutdown) and then start once the ignition was back on. Now when I turn the ignition the instruments fail to test and work, I can start the bike, and all other sundry electrics work (horn, indicators etc) After riding for 5-10 minutes the instruments test and work normally. I have changed the battery and cleaned connectors, I have removed the KOMBI unit and checked the connections and for any damage/cracks/water ingress. The problem persists. I have a GS-911 diagnostic tool and attached is a print out of the errors which indicate present. The same errors indicate not present after the instruments start to work.

BMS-KP 10218 CAN-bus timeout.No communication with KOMBI
ZFE 41756 CAN-bus timeout.No communication with KOMBI
ABS8M 59698 CAN-bus timeout.No communication with KOMBI

Here's hoping

Thanks Steve,

However once the display starts working it doesn't fault. Even if I shut it down and start it again that day it all works (except the clock issue) its only the next day (or days) that the problem comes back. It's as if it needs 13.5 volts to work, if it drops below that nothing until it hits whatever the magic number is again.

As Steve k suggested, broken wire near headstock, suggest if you have a multimeter set to volts 12v should be available at pin 3 of Kombi unit.
Or, perhaps think back to when this problem started, anyone been working on the bike.? Possibly one of the battery main power + leads became detached.?

If no wiring fault I would think a replacement Komi unit to try on the bike.

It's a start.. good Lucy

That's great, thank you very much. Work drags me away for a week but will endeavour to attack it when I'm back.

Cheers

Looking at that wiring diagram and the amount of Can lines, attacking it is not recommended.
Speak to BMW there maybe a software update to fix it.

Not so easy

I would if it were easy. I live in Brunei, there is a BMW car centre but they don't do bikes. The nearest facility is in Malaysia, about a 7 hour ride away with 6 border crossings. I've emailed them but no reply. Plus BMW Malaysia want over 1100 pounds as the bike is not from Malaysia and Motorrad insists on this payment.
Hence trying to troubleshoot it myself.

Spoke to BMW Australia they had not come across this problem before.

Ohh my word!
Crack on then Sir but don't be poking round with a powerprobe putting 12 volts into places it shouldn't be.
Good luck

Is the battery performance OK. I am wondering whether there is a huge voltage drop when you hit the starter that is corrupting the instrument display temporarily?

Otherwise, I lean towards it being a connector, or maybe a neg/earth lead fault. Always worth checking all the negative connections around the bike before you get too deep looking elsewhere.

Good Luck ..................... KEN

Brand new battery, they don't last long in the tropics so I replaced it as part of the troubleshooting.

Hi again, it appears to me to have lost its live supply to pin 3, this unit needs a keep alive memory feed to maintain clock time etc.
Once ignition is turned on it will then take active supply from ign & is then working as it should.
The pin 3 should be constant live with ign in off position, use a voltmeter set to DC volts.

As it's a single connector to instrument panel I believe there should only be 1 single wire that's live with ign switched off.
As I said previously check connectors/joint near battery.

Hope that helps.

How on earth did you end up with a Bmw in Brunei.?

Thanks for that.
I live and work here, bought the bike new in Australia and had it shipped up. To date have done all the servicing and maintenance myself, but this one is taking some time! Probably a bit big for Borneo, we get plenty of rain and the logging roads quickly deteriorate. The dealer here used to import bikes 20 years ago but now only does cars, so none of the tech team have any training and don't want to touch it as it is not officially sanctioned by BMW head office.
As I said away with work until around the 11th so will start with the advice then.

Cheers

Its only money

Finally relented, and rode to Kota Kinabalu for the closest dealer to look at. It appears it is the instrument cluster so a new 1 at 1150 USD is being sourced. In true "new" BMW fashion 15 different cables were called into play as part of the diagnosis. Remember when they used to be simple? So much so that a special cable was required to check voltages as the proprietary plugs are too small to fit normal multi-meter probes so BMW have designed a cable for that particular plug with an add on to check the power! Will have to fly back there when it is finished to pick it up, has to be up there with the most convoluted fix?

Wondered if you had got it sorted.
Unusual fault but these things do happen.
Great bike tho, miss mine but can't keep everything..

Back
Top Bottom