gpx file transfer Tomtom 400

steveC

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
After years with a Garmin I bought a Tomtom 400.

Wired it in yesterday and today attempted to download a ride magazine gpx file.

I watched the online video and did everything as required, the files would not transfer from my computer to the device.

Reason I was using a Mac, now Tomtom allow downloads of Mac compatible versions of their my drive. However a couple of functions only work on a PC and file transfer is one.

I tried my really old PC with win7 and had no luck because the ride site is not letting you download a PC version of the GPX file.

So I loaded up the gpx files onto a micro sd card on my Mac and then put that into the 400. About 5 seconds later in asked me if I wanted to import the routes. Success it works.

I thought Garmin was hard work but tomtom are just as impressive. Hope this helps out those that don't have a PC.

No, but open to any suggestion that would make life easier. Tell me how please

Also can you use a third party app for planning and transferring route files ?

That download is the one I been using. You can transfer your gpx files to your device on a PC. On a Mac you do exactly the same routine but it just doesn't transfer them. There is no visual clue to it not transferring the files.

I wonder if anybody has transferred POI and fav's to a sd card then put that into the device. Any takers on that because I will give it a go later on.

login go on my routes click import gpx chose your file job done ? and this is not a download its a web page. you might be getting mixed up with the softwere you used to update you nav

id tether your phones internet to your nav that will connect to tomtom drive and sync every thing

Quote from RiDe website
NB: Some PC users have had trouble downloading the files. If you have any difficulties, please emailride@ride.co.uk with "GPX request" as the subject line and specify the files you require. We'll email them as soon as we can.

iand46,

Did that yesterday it was quite late on, thought tomorrow at the earliest for a reply. Well about half an hour later got a reply. It was one of their suggestions to try the micro sd card. They knew I had the files on my Mac and could transfer them to a PC and do it that way. But as it turned out the easy way was using the sd card.

You could tell it wasn't a paste copied response, someone had read my mail and tailored a solution. So well done to the staff at ride magazine. I have used the ride routes before 10 Pyrenees tour and found it excellent. Saying that still managed to get lost on a couple of occasions, but thats just me.

Well now I have got over the hassle of PC/Mac file uploads I can say this. I bought the 400 used, 14 months old. I expected a period of familiarisation to achieve a level of competence that I had got to on Garmin devices. After my initial stumble I can say I am pretty pleased with the device.
It appears well constructed and I was surprised to find it had speakers built in. OS system is straight forward. Bluetooth connects first time to my eBay £12 receiver. Then to my old headphones grafted into my Nolan helmet. Clear screen that responds quickly to touch. As to price, it appears to have the upper hand in that respect.
What will I miss from my nav5 ? only the wonderful magic wheel integration. That was great, but having changed to a twin cam its something I will put up with.

I did my first tour in 1969 on a triumph 3ta one map did everything :rob how did we all manage.

I always carry maps, it will be a sad day if we forget how to read them.

im happy with my tomtom 400. i used to own the rider 5 looks like a big brick. it did the job but no were near as good as this one. even the live updates have got me out of trouble a few times only thing i dont like about the live updates. it needs your phone internet. no good when im abroad

I don't know if it's because I already had the Android File Transfer app on my Mac or if it's bundled as part of TomTom MyDrive Connect but with the latter running, when I connect my TT450 with a USB cable, the AFT window pops open and I can just drag gpx files to the TT450. A bit like Garmin at that point, the device "imports" them.

If I upload the routes to the MyDrive website, they transfer automatically via MyDrive Connect.

Back
Top Bottom