Fuel Strip to Float Conversion...Dummy Run

Right now I'm busy designing a small electronic circuit for it.

Bert:thumb

Well done. :thumb

Some musings that might help -

Mine does 4Ω to 180Ω. I don't know what the GS float sensor delivers. Bike needs something like 3KΩ ohm to 11KΩ ohm but nobody seems certain what the resistance range actually is. The 32 ohm heater circuit also has to be connected (pins 1 and 4). The guys on AdvRider used a 2K resistor to spoof the system into reading a full tank. With a good performing fuel pump this will be fine. But a pump with a few miles under it's belt will struggle to empty the tank while riding at speed.

I am now sure the system changes the pump duty cycle according to fuel level. At fast motorway speeds, mine can't drive the jet pump (to transfer fuel) at the same time as feed the engine. However, stop and idle for a few minutes and the level will rise. Float is on left side of tank. With a working fuel strip, the pump will be boosted at low tank levels to make sure all fuel gets transferred. My fuel strip is removed so that won't happen.

TBH I would be happy with relatively few measurement points. This could be done with individual float sensors that switch in 2K resistors so they total to 11K when the tank is full.

<20% = 3K
40% = 5K
60% = 7K
80% = 9K
Full = 11K

Sensors like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Curve-Wat...232326&hash=item1ebbc269bf:g:xpsAAOSwnbZYJDgp

Just had a thought.

Thermisters will conduct when hot. Honda and Yamaha use them to indicate low fuel. In petrol they remain cold so don't conduct. In air they get warm and conduct & the warning light switches on.

A string could be put onto a strip of fuel proof plastic. They could switch in resistors giving a suitable range 4Ω to 90Ω or whatever suits best.

It would need some thought but could be a way to get a reliable fuel strip. Maybe even the fuel strip heater circuit could even be used to drive the thermistors.

Good luck. The ECU needs something to process the signal from a float gauge so well done if it works.

Bert, keen to see how you get on with the RT - my 07 RT(P) has a duff fuel strip ..

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hopefully I have some small PCBs ready this week!! Then sealing it in epoxy ressin.

Bert

Great news. If you can put them outside the tank maybe a protective box will do the job.

Would you have the details to make a 4 to 180 ohm converter? TBH I like my stick float gauge. :)

Bert,

Very keen to see the detail of how you've done this - tried sending a PM without success. Could you drop me one with contact details if you'd be happy to share ?

Regards,

Mark

To add a further comment. A metal case with non setting electrical potting compound is idea as you "can" take the board out if needs be. Epoxy is permanent and brittle.

Floater prototype ready !!
Could someone tell me how to insert pictures with posts so I can add some pictures and share them at this forum....

regards,

Bert

pictures see
My-First-Gallery

first picture: floater interface with floater ourside the tank
2: connected to unit on my workbanch
3: value on the display
4: on the workbench with floater connected
5: prototype Floater Interface
6: genuine connector for motormanagement
7: genuine coonector for tank unit
8: actually the same as picture 4, so without using the connectors on the tank unit.

Bert

Back
Top Bottom