Ardennes

Wapping

Reaction score
There's a simple enough basic guide to the Ardennes in this month's
Bike magazine. Add it into the ADAC map of the area / the RiDE magazine's route suggestions and you'd have yourself a pretty good little jaunt for a few days.

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showth...e-touring-maps-Free-download-PDF-s-into-iBook

b842a089c37039619fba3e381d88be2d.jpg

83322503ca318d3901fe267a921285e0.jpg

Haven't seen the article but would love to read it. Not sure if there is any reference to road quality in it. Just one tip on the Ardennes from personal experience last year. The roads are pretty poorly maintained and as the government in the area has no money you will find some pretty rough areas. They tend to put up a sign stating "poor road conditions'' rather than fixing them. This has been so for a few years now and whilst most main roads are OK the smaller roads can be bad.
As soon as you cross the border into Luxemburg or Germany its a totally different story. Irrespective its still worth a trip!

There is nothing about the state of the roads, but having ridden the Ardennes on bikes ranging from an HP2 Sport, an HP4, to a GS, an XR and a 1600 I haven't found one yet that spoilt the entire day. Ride what you find, is my mantra.

Ardennes is a great place for a wee tour and the rougher roads are just what a GS is made for. I try to get off the beaten track so to speak and find the sh*ttiest farm roads for my riding pleasure.

Coffee at the Hotel de la Poste in Buillon has been a highlight for me over the past five years(I read about it here and although the hotel is expensive I wasn't disappointed) and it's a pleasant alternative to using the tent.

FP.

The campsites at the bottom of the hill in Bouillon are lovely. Stayed at Camping Halliru previously and trying the one next door this year. Heading down there at the beginning of June and planned along the "Route of Legends" which Wapping flagged up recently 👍🏻

I pitched up for a coffee in La Roche-en-Ardenne yesterday and as I got off the bike some tosser came up to me and said " you must be Arsey " .
It was packed with bikes !

Back
Top Bottom