Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Triumph Twin twinshock trials bike.

opinionated, me? Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Next day and straight into the garage! With the bottom bolt in place, the remaining engine mounts could be tightened up. Reconnected the oil pipes and positioned the filter, which I had renewed and changed the O-rings in whilst the engine had been away. The carb slipped back on, the rocker oil feed then the exhaust. My new secret weapon for exhaust instillation is visible in the photo, a soft plastic dead blow mallet helps things go together easily.

The stator was next, taking off the clutch cover and setting the timing as I last had it. Bill had reminded me that the clutch and tappets would need checking as he had just put them in loosely, so I tightened the springs up to roughly where they had been and went through the tappet adjustment procedure. Shiny new drivechain and that side is done. Round to the other side and refit the clutch cable, starter return spring and the outer gearbox cover, carefully adjusting the clutch pushrod at the same time. Gear lever, kickstart, air filter all bolted back on and time to put some oil in. Tank back on and filled up, and outside for a try, fingers crossed!

After flooding the carb I barely leant on the kickstart and she burbled into life as though she had never been touched! I was somewhat surprised, as I had expected some reluctance. Quickly checking around for leaks, I was pleased to see the oil return flowing strongly after a few seconds, and cracked the rocker nuts to make sure oil was getting up to them. There was a slight leak from one of the oil filter unions, which stopped with a nip, and a couple of weeps from the clutch casing. I had put this together with a paper gasket for the moment, once timing and clutch adjustments have been finalised I will seal it with Loctite 510. Very pleased, I rang Bill to tell him the good news.

Mark
    Just when you've got this rat race licked, here come faster rats!

And here is a video clip off FB, which sounds a bit rattly to me. It doesn't when you are next to the bike.

The pistons and the bores were surprisingly well within tolerance, so Bill polished them up and put new rings in. He has suggested that I might be running a bit too rich, and the fuel is washing the oil off the bores, accelerating the ring wear. I will be trying to address that this Saturday (hence not sealing the clutch cover yet, in case the timing needs a tweak) before entering Gresford Club's Llansilin trial on Sunday.

Mark

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Ahh,
    i enjoyed that.
    Thank You for posting.
    appears bright from a distance / dim up close

Quote Originally Posted by earthmover View Post

before entering Gresford Club's Llansilin trial on Sunday.

Mark

I've spent much of the day 'addressing issues' with my BSA so hopefully see you there
    KEA

As it was dry when I got home from work, I took the bike out for what was supposed to be a five mile spin to bed things in. Turned out to be a two mile spin followed by a two mile push.
    The loss of tune, followed by glowing header pipes, followed by loss of spark, had me very concerned . The push back gave me plenty of time to ponder, until I realised what the symptoms were pointing to. I hadn't, had I?
    Whip the clutch cover off and lo and behold, I had. Some muppet hadn't tightened the rotor nut on properly when he set the timing.
    Anyway, the oil needed dropping, and at least now it was warm.
    Pillock.
    Mark

As it was dry when I got home from work, I took the bike out for what was supposed to be a five mile spin to bed things in. Turned out to be a two mile spin followed by a two mile push.
    The loss of tune, followed by glowing header pipes, followed by loss of spark, had me very concerned . The push back gave me plenty of time to ponder, until I realised what the symptoms were pointing to. I hadn't, had I?
    Whip the clutch cover off and lo and behold, I had. Some muppet hadn't tightened the rotor nut on properly when he set the timing.
    Anyway, the oil needed dropping, and at least now it was warm.
    Pillock.
    Mark
    Wish I'd been there
    KEA

I had two jobs to do on Saturday, one was sort the jetting on the Triumph, the other was to try to talk some sense into a teenager. Hmm.
    After my ill fated test run earlier in the week I had reset the timing to where it should have been.

This picture shows the new drain holes in the crankcase to allow the oil that gets into the clutch case to flow back to the sump.

With the bike running as it was set before the rebuild I went to the old stables with my Amal box and a notebook, along with aforementioned teenager and the Beta.

Imagine the scenario. You are rolling down a bank, off the throttle and on the brakes, then at the bottom you have to make a full lock turn and back up the bank (without planting a foot and pivoting around it on full throttle, wrong sport!) This is the test, too sharp and you push the front past the turn, any hesitation from the bike and you stall and fall on your ear. Smooth transition from nothing all the way through the range is the idea. The "science" of Pre 65 fuelling defeats me. My original problem had been that the bike was too sharp at initial throttle opening, which was almost like a modern bike in its delivery. Modern bikes have a clutch that you can soften the delivery with one finger though, whereas the Triumph clutch needs two hands! I had tried to richen the mixture to achieve this, by putting in a bigger pilot jet, lifting the needle, and changing the slide cutaway, to little effect. One of the old hands said to put a bigger main jet in, but this to me should make no difference to the fuelling at the point where I was struggling? As usual, I was wrong, and to get the off idle response I was looking for I went up to a 160 main. This left the plugs looking like they had been dipped in tar, and the left side shock with a black sooty stain every time I rode it, but the bike continued to run, and the throttle was very gentle. But.....
    With Bill's warning about the longevity of piston rings ringing in my ears, I put the next size down main in and tried it out. Finding that I could probably manage a bit more, I dropped to a 140. This gave me a slight stutter, but lifting the needle a notch cured that. All this over a couple of hours gave me the confidence that I needed. It helps that I have been riding it for a while now and have grown less terrified of it!

Beauty and The Beast.

Which one is which depends on the day.
    Mark

The perils of ebay.
    The gearing is ok for closed course trials, but for a road trial I struggle. The bike is revving its tits off at 30mph, which worries me greatly. There is lots of talk about "wide ratio" gearboxes, and how they are the Holy Grail as far as this type of application is concerned.
    They don't come up very often though, and getting new ones made seems to be something of a hit and miss affair. Imagine my delight when a set came up on ebay, advertised as wide ratio, with a helpful diagram showing the number of teeth on each cog. No one could tell me the right number of teeth though, but as my bid of £250 was the highest, I became the proud owner.
    Last weekend I found myself with a couple of hours to spare, so set about pulling the gearbox out. As it is what you would now call a cartridge design, it is a relatively simple job, and within a short space of time both main and layshafts with their associated gears are on my bench. Comparing them to the ones I'd just bought, they looked identical. So I carefully counted the teeth on each cog, then counted them again. Then counted the teeth on the ebay set to confirm that they were the same as the drawing.
    Bollocks. They are identical.
    One of the Pre-65 lot comes up with a page from a parts book that shows the teeth number on the standard cogs, which (both of) my gears are not.
    Seems I have (two) close ratio gearsets.
    Perfect.
    Mark

KEA

A couple of photos pinched off facebook, from the first trial of 2019.

Hecklers from the side of the section making me laugh.
    Mark

Senior Member Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Still carburating well? I was wondering what effect a smaller carb would have.

Quote Originally Posted by dean0n0 View Post
    Still carburating well? I was wondering what effect a smaller carb would have.
    Perfect thanks. Took quite a bit of "experimentation" but got there in the end. One of the other Twin riders was asking on Sunday, as his coughs and spits a lot.
    Mark

It would appear that I have unwittingly deleted the wrong photo from my Smugmug account, so the post 119 is missing something:
    I had two jobs to do on Saturday, one was sort the jetting on the Triumph, the other was to try to talk some sense into a teenager. Hmm.
    Beauty and The Beast.

Which one is which depends on the day.
    Mark

Click here to find out how to remove these ads

Trial last Sunday, just off the A5 near Corwen. Road racer Paul Owen in the middle on his Bantam, Myself on one of the 5 twins there that day (common as muck now), and Mark Newman on his 320 Norton.
    Mark
    Last edited by earthmover; 23-05-19 at 07:03. Reason: Can't count.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678