Portugal - 7 routes - Complete

Wapping

Reaction score
There are not so many route suggestions for Portugal but I've lifted seven from a Spanish book of mine, edited by Pedro Pardo, published by Anaya Touring. It comes free with a much larger book (again by Pedro Pardo) which has no less than 51 individual routes for Spain in it. I can definitely recommend the book to anyone as it's nicely published (in foreign) but with clear route maps and enough detail for anyone to get the gist of what Pedro is on about.

81qCBTQ8llL.jpg

It's available via Amazon, Spain which is how I obtained mine, after 'reading' about it in a German (of which I speak not one word) touring magazine.

Please note:

(A) I created the routes in BaseCamp on a Mac, hosting the .gpx file on Dropbox. Sometimes Dropbox adds a .txt extension to the file, rendering it into text. If this happens, save the file and rename it by dropping the .txt extension but leaving the .gpx in place. It should then open straight up in BaseCamp or Mapsource.

(B) The maps used are NTU 2018.1 in motorcycle mode, with routing preferences turned off.

(C) I have converted all the waypoints into unannounced shaping points, which is all they are. There is no significance as to where I placed them, they were simply used to pull the route onto what I hope are the correct roads.

(D) I have checked the routes through, at least roughly. If there are any glitches or goat tracks, well.... have fun screaming at me as you ride along, I won't be able to hear you.

(E) I copied the direction the routes take in the books, for no other reason than it's easiest that way. Anyone who would like to use them will need to amend them as they see fit.

(F) I may well add in notes about the hotels and other locations Pedro Pardo has included in his book, not least as they might well be helpful and it would be polite to the author.

Richard

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7jepnqc7cs9m80e/Portugal.GPX?dl=0

b3eb23e7c3b283211502e28daad520e7.jpg

Nice work Steve! My download came as a .txt but I easily changed it to .gpx.

I've seen these books in the shops here but never bought one as a) I'm happy enough doing my own exploration in Spain and b) it's expensive like many books here, But I came way from Portugal really disappointed as most of my planing went bad, I just seemed to be riding through endless 'ribbon development' so that as soon as one village stopped another started. So maybe with these routes I might give it a go once more, especially the south where I've never been.

From what I remember from browsing through the books on much of the text gives details of history, places of interest, etc., which is OK but many Spanish writers tend to end up just listing endless fairly irrelevant 'facts' - rote learned is a feature of their education system - and I think the average tourist would be better taking the excellent Michelin Green Guide* and planning a tour based on any interesting stuff there. But using the road routes to help actually getting form A to B to C ...

If you or anyone wants a bit of clarification, translation,etc. just ask away.

Regs

Simon
* I've written three school text books on Spain's geography and the Spanish Green Guide has the best brief resumé of Spain's notoriously complicated history that I've ever read - a masterpiece!

Steve? Who is Steve? I would like to meet him.... in a manly way, obviously. A firm shake of the hand and none of that Iberian kissing.

Steve? Who is Steve? I would like to meet him.... in a manly way, obviously. A firm shake of the hand and none of that Iberian kissing.

S***e! Still, not sure whether a quick peck on the cheek in the Mediterranean fashion is preferable to shaking a Dick by the hand! :bounce1

Regs

Simon

PS, Richard, if yo have doubts about any of the Spanish routes being goat tracks etc. just send me a PM, or better still mall me at thespanishbiker at gmail dot com

Regs

Simon XXX

There are not so many route suggestions for Portugal but I've lifted seven from a Spanish book of mine, edited by Pedro Pardo, published by Anaya Touring. It comes free with a much larger book (again by Pedro Pardo) which has no less than 51 individual routes for Spain in it. I can definitely recommend the book to anyone as it's nicely published (in foreign) but with clear route maps and enough detail for anyone to get the gist of what Pedro is on about.

81qCBTQ8llL.jpg

It's available via Amazon, Spain which is how I obtained mine, after 'reading' about it in a German (of which I speak not one word) touring magazine.

Please note:

(A) I created the routes in BaseCamp on a Mac, hosting the .gpx file on Dropbox. Sometimes Dropbox adds a .txt extension to the file, rendering it into text. If this happens, save the file and rename it by dropping the .txt extension but leaving the .gpx in place. It should then open straight up in BaseCamp or Mapsource.

(B) The maps used are NTU 2018.1 in motorcycle mode, with routing preferences turned off.

(C) I have converted all the waypoints into unannounced shaping points, which is all they are. There is no significance as to where I placed them, they were simply used to pull the route onto what I hope are the correct roads.

(D) I have checked the routes through, at least roughly. If there are any glitches or goat tracks, well.... have fun screaming at me as you ride along, I won't be able to hear you.

(E) I copied the direction the routes take in the books, for no other reason than it's easiest that way. Anyone who would like to use them will need to amend them as they see fit.

(F) I may well add in notes about the hotels and other locations Pedro Pardo has included in his book, not least as they might well be helpful and it would be polite to the author.

Richard

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7jepnqc7cs9m80e/Portugal.GPX?dl=0

b3eb23e7c3b283211502e28daad520e7.jpg

All good stuff for a choice Thanks

:)

Sorry if I'm being a bit thick here.... I'm using a macbook air with base camp legacy edition as this OS is 10.9
When I save the file and rename it dropping the .txt off base camp still doesn't open the file. I know base camp works ok as i can open the touratech ACT file ok. What am I doing wrong?
fanks...

Wow, thanks for this link wrapping. Just rode from Caceres to Guarda today. Absolutely stonking 7 hours in the mountains. What a day, and in January makes it even better!

Back
Top Bottom