Nutty's Law aka Check before you go!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wapping

Reaction score
I am having to seek help on this remotely on behalf of a friend (Nutty) who is away. We have been corresponding by text, trying to sort it out and I'm running out of ideas. Basic facts:

1. One brand new Nav 6, loaded apparently with the correct latest edition European North map.

2. The map can be selected (ticked) and deselected (unticked) in the device's systems' screen at will. This suggests to me that the detailed map is present.... or it should be.

3. Zooming in on the device shows only the main roads, ie. it's the standard base map. I have ensured that Nutty is looking at a location that is on the European North map.

4. When Nutty runs a route, it comes out as a series of straight lines. This is the classic sign of a device running just the base map. Question is, why isn't the detailed map loading and displaying, just like it should? I am running out of suggestions of things for Nutty to try.

5. I have had Nutty do a hard re-set, which makes no difference. I'm usually reluctant to tell people to do this if they haven't backed their device up to a computer but we'd tried and failed on all other suggestions.

6. My only remaining thought, is that the detailed maps are perhaps on an SD card within the device, which the device is only half seeing perhaps? I have lost contact with Nutty via text and by phone, so cannot get an answer on this. My hope is that a clean of the card contacts might help... but I'm really clutching at straws.

7. My only remaining straw might be that Nutty has some other software in the device (Garmin link to phone or somesuch) that has rendered the device so busy it can't load its maps. Deleting it from his phone might cure that and severing all other connections, perhaps? It doesn't seem logical but I'm at a real loss.

8. The obvious question I have just thought of is: What does Nutty see when he turns the device on from full shut down? He should see a screen that hangs about for a bit saying: 'Loading maps'.... I wonder if he sees that?

He's with Keith, so I am also wondering if it's possible for Keith to Bluetooth Nutty the route AND its associated maps? I haven't got a device in front of me.... but I have a nagging feeling it's not possible. Similarly, I can think of no way to update or reinstall the maps onto a device without hooking it up onto a computer, running some some suitable Garmin software. The software should be easy to download..... and then it's just time (hours perhaps) to wait whilst the maps are installed.

Any ideas team? Nutty is a good egg and I'd like to help him if possible.

Richard

If memory serves previously it was Nutty who was broken abroad :comfort now it is his sat nav :blast he really should stay this side of the channel :p

He wasn't well, that's for sure. He kindly offered me the chance to join him to run in his new awesome steed with Keith. Sadly, I couldn't go.

Richard

Ther is an obvious explanation for this, Well 2 explanations for this

1 Nutty is a complete fuck wit with Nav 5 or 6 ( no arguments as it is a well known and previously established fact )

2. If you recall I had a simmilar problem where I had only loaded maps for certain areas and once over the " border " so to speak I only had the very base maps showing on the device

So the answer may well lay in where abouts abroad he is and has he really got all the correct mappage loaded

Does he have access to a computer so he can hook up and look at the memory card and seee if the map is actualy loaded on it.? Has the map fully loaded on the Nav 6 or the card.
I seem to remember that the full euro map on the latest edition is much larger than last time.

Do we know if it was working ok before he set off, ie UK mapping showing

I had thought of 2, it was my first thought.

Nutty assures me he IS in an area that IS covered by the detailed northern map. I haven't looked at where the cut off line to the southern map is, simply as I don't know where Nutty is hooning.

If he isn't then he is indeed a chimp and I'll be forced to tell the world about his and Keith's.....

I had thought of 2, it was my first thought.

Nutty assures me he IS in an area that IS covered by the detailed northern map. I haven't looked at where the cut off line to the southern map is, simply as I don't know where Nutty is hooning.

If he isn't then he is indeed a chimp and I'll be forced to tell the world about his and Keith's.....
<iframe width="1" height="1" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_9b7CgTIRKU?controls=0&autoplay=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I am prepared to bet a shiny new pound coin that he has not got all the maps !

No point betting on his fuckwitteddness as the odds are so short

Does he have access to a computer so he can hook up and look at the memory card and seee if the map is actualy loaded on it.? Has the map fully loaded on the Nav 6 or the card.
I seem to remember that the full euro map on the latest edition is much larger than last time.

I am still waiting to hear from Nutty as to whether there is an SD card in the device and / or if the map is on it or in the device itself.

Because of its larger memory, it's possible to load all the latest edition Garmin European maps (north and south) into the Nav 6 device itself, without needing an SD card. I have done it that way on mine, without a problem. To get the sane north and south maps into a Nav V, required me using an SD card, as usual.

Don't know the Nav 6 but my 590 has a setting for the level of map detail. The straight lines might also be a result of an "off road" routing choice.

I am prepared to bet a shiny new pound coin that he has not got all the maps !

I'm of that opinion too. I guess the way to tell is for him to scroll the MPs on his device to say Copenhagen (which must be in North) and zoom in.... detailed roads, yes or no?

If no, then the detailed northern map is shown as present and selected (ticked) but for some reason not loading fully.

If yes, then scroll down to see where the detailed map detail stops and compare that point with Nutty's position.

Don't know the Nav 6 but my 590 has a setting for the level of map detail. The straight lines might also be a result of an "off road" routing choice.

Now there's a thought but I guess it doesn't change the underlying map detail?

Nutty assures me there is no detail present when he zooms in when not running a route. He also assures me that the detailed map is loaded into the device (he can see it listed) that he has selected it and that he's standing smack in the middle of where the detailed map should be available.

Hence my confusion as to why he has no detail.....

I'm of that opinion too. I guess the way to tell is for him to scroll the MPs on his device to say Copenhagen (which must be in North) and zoom in.... detailed roads, yes or no?

If no, then the detailed northern map is shown as present and selected (ticked) but for some reason not loading fully.

If yes, then scroll down to see where the detailed map detail stops and compare that point with Nutty's position.

Well whatever the real cause it will be bound to be the shitty Garmin product as no way could a biker mate be to blame :D

No map detail with maps selected would mean no maps or faulty/incomplete mapset, straight lines on map could be the same reason or the routes have been done on a other machine/software and require a recalculation to set route.

He tells me he can see detailed maps for Copenhagen.... I've now got him scrolling southwards towards his position...... that £1 is looking very safe Redrick.

I'd agree with redrick.
My wife has a Garmin car unit that has CN Europe NTU loaded, but only UK & Ireland, but it still shows some of France in detail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom