Garmin zumo 550 map updates

garry a

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all I'm new to the wonders of sat nav being a bit old school but I have a zumo 550 now and need to update the maps I don't have free updates does that mean the only option is to pay and get updates from garmin or is there a free way to do it.im not great on the pc so I would need detailed instructions how to as free normally means tricky thanks for any help

Last edited by a moderator:
You can buy them as a download or on an SD card, both from Garmin via their website.

You can also find download copies online via pirate websites, which some users prefer. Google: Garmin 550 maps, or something similar.

Depending on the size of the map imported into the device, you may well need to install an SD card.

The last alternative is to use the legal free maps from Open Street Maps, which are very reliable. Again, you may well need an SD card.

There are lots of DIY videos and tutorials on how to update the maps on a 550. Some are even pretty good.

Do hesitate before buying an SD card of maps from even a well meaning vendor on eBay. The genuine Garmin maps are specific to the device to which they were created for. There is a very good chance that an SD card of maps I create on my computer in my device, will not work on yours.

Hi all I'm new to the wonders of sat nav being a bit old school but I have a zumo 550 now and need to update the maps I don't have free updates does that mean the only option is to pay and get updates from garmin or is there a free way to do it.im not great on the pc so I would need detailed instructions how to as free normally means tricky thanks for any help

You can have a onetime update or lifetime updates.
http://www.garmin.com/uk/maps/numaps

if you are a pc novice i would advise against the pirate software and stick to the garmin download, as said above a one time update or lifetime maps will do you its up to you

if you are a pc novice i would advise against the pirate software and stick to the garmin download, as said above a one time update or lifetime maps will do you its up to you

The openstreetmap download is simple too, it is also free, is more detailed than the Garmin maps and can be updated at will. Downsides are the lack of full postcode search and the fact that more detail means they are big files. Putting the whole of Europe on in one go isn't going to happen but then again how often do you actually need all of Europe for one trip?

Try them out by just downloading the UK maps, they work with Mapsource or Basecamp too.

John

As John said above and i forgot to mention OSM maps are free and readily available, you can download them from here http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/ or other sources, and if you struggle with the complexity of it all, being a pc/satnav novice, i feel sure if you ask the questions you will get plenty of help from the forum.

Thanks for advise I'm going to try the open street map as it's free and if I can.at least I can update it again. Am I right that I have to download garmin map source first then down load the uk map to map source or can I download map from OSM straight to SD card

Thanks for advise I'm going to try the open street map as it's free and if I can.at least I can update it again. Am I right that I have to download garmin map source first then down load the uk map to map source or can I download map from OSM straight to SD card

You need either Basecamp or Mapsource to manage any maps you are using. I still prefer Mapsource and it can still be downloaded from Garmin. It says it is just an update but even if you have never had Mapsource on that machine it will download if you download Basecamp first. I had to do that on my travelling notebook, it has limited memory so I deleted Basecamp once I had Mapsource working

Once you have either Mapsource or Basecamp go to the openstreetmap site and chose "Generic Routable (New style) from the first options. Make sure you wait until the page has fully loaded and then use the drop down menu to chose UK from the Europe menu. You will then see a small blue "download now" link, click there and chose the option that says map installer for Basecamp/Mapsource. That will start the map download. Once downloaded click on the download and start the process of installing. I then use Mapsource to create a mapset to send to my devices. I find this (although a bit slow) much more reliable than using the option to load the maps directly onto the card. I know others have used this method but for some reason I often just get a "file corrupt" message.

If you need any further help just ask, I have downloaded dozens of OSM maps now. They really are rather good with these latest ones looking very much like Ordnance Survey maps in their level of detail.

John

Forgot to add that Windows 10 might try to block the installation of OSM maps. Just tell it not to be so bloody silly! If it does try click the advanced options and tell it to do as it is told. On my machine my virus checker then takes 10 seconds to scan the file before it loads without further drama. There is only one box that you need to tick to tell it what language.

It's worth the trouble the Garmin maps have two of my local pubs in the wrong location-serious stuff in my opinion!

John

I have managed to get the open street maps on to a SD card and and I can now I can choose between the original map or the new map on the zumo buy ticking or unticking them only drawback I can find is no post code search is this the norm with maps from OSM or have I missed something

I use OSM data on my IOS devices (Pocket Earth app) and UK postcodes work just fine so I suspect they are available somewhere on Garmin satnavs

I have managed to get the open street maps on to a SD card and and I can now I can choose between the original map or the new map on the zumo buy ticking or unticking them only drawback I can find is no post code search is this the norm with maps from OSM or have I missed something

If you read John's post from above you will see he mention's the no postcode issue, or rather they are not available.

As I said in previous post this is a downside of openstreetmaps. As I have Garmin maps as well I don't find it an issue for the few times I use a postcode search. Most locations can be found without postcodes anyway, just use address or search by type ie for a hotel search in "lodgings" in the town you need. In most of Europe postcodes are not much use anyway because they cover huge areas.

John

Back
Top Bottom