motogoloco

daviedevs

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I attempted to use this site but it says i need to download the communicator plug in. i did this but it says my pc cant see the plug in??

Any ideas?

Thanks

have updated IE 10 to IE 11 and it sees it now, but still wont load the route to the device..lets me save as a GPX to basecamp but then the route is as the crow flies!

Think you need to have basecamp navigate the route i.e. Between the points that you located in motogoloco.
You're not forced to get the same route -the more vias you have the closer it will be.

Think you need to have basecamp navigate the route i.e. Between the points that you located in motogoloco.
You're not forced to get the same route -the more vias you have the closer it will be.

Sounds like twice the work using two software programs that use different maps.

Base camp maps aren't detailed enough though. Seem very basic. Then again it might just be me!

Map will have same detail if you have loaded same map, think you have detail level option in Basecamp, less=speedier rendering etc

@iand46, roughing out a route is way easier in motogoloco(or google maps) as you enter Start finish then drag the line to your chosen route.

Map will have same detail if you have loaded same map, think you have detail level option in Basecamp, less=speedier rendering etc

@iand46, roughing out a route is way easier in motogoloco(or google maps) as you enter Start finish then drag the line to your chosen route.

Your Google map plotted route is always going to end up on a Garmin Map on the device with possible changes.

Base camp maps aren't detailed enough though. Seem very basic. Then again it might just be me!

Do you have any actual maps installed on your pc or are you just using the base map,
Have you set the detail level in basecamp so it shows more, or are you not zooming in enough,
Any of the above will cause there to be little detail using basecamp;

with reference to you getting straight lines, having just a base map and no actual map will cause this, as will not asking basecamp to recalculate the route, and even if you have a full map installed and do the recalculate route, your route may still differ from how it was in motogoloco, this is because its a different map thats in use (google map) or you have not used enough via points (waypoints) .

Your Google map plotted route is always going to end up on a Garmin Map on the device with possible changes.

This ...I have spend hours trying to sort the same route plotted in motogoloco, to arrive on the nav through base camp ,but it won't , there is always a deviation somewhere.

See last line post#4
You can force the route to be the same by increasing number of vias.

What it won't seem to do is allow inclusion of a road that is shut seasonally- my current problem

That is probably just as easy in BaseCamp and Mapsource.

I'll admit that I used to build a route, point by point by point in Mapsource but once I got myself confident with clicking on my start point, then on my end point and then using the shaping tool to pull the route to follow the directions and roads I want to use I find it much faster and easier. All of the many routes that I have created in Travel for say the last five years have been created this way.

My only tip would be to try turning the routing preferences off. Why? It stops the route taking directions that I don't readily understand. OK I could set it to avoid motorways and it would, with absolute certainty. The problem I find is that sometimes I want to take a motorway and I've forgotten that I have precluded motorway use.

Base camp maps aren't detailed enough though. Seem very basic......

I assume you have the detailed maps loaded and / or have zoomed in sufficiently?

I create perhaps 100 routes a year in BaseCamp for some purpose or another, often from some obscure sources. It is very rare that I have to fire up Google maps or satellite imagery to find some obscure road that is not shown (or not immediately obvious) in BaseCamp's detailed mapping. Similarly, I might fire up Google to find a specific say, church to look at or similar view that is not marked in BaseCamp. Sometimes, a route that I am creating from a foreign source might suggest visiting Pedro's cafe or some such. For obvious reasons it's not detailed in Garmin's database (or it's called something else) but I can find it in a Google search - or sometimes even see it in Streetview - which makes pinpointing it in BaseCamp with a hand made waypoint pretty easy.

Where I guess it might fall down is if the user intends to do a lot of true 'off-road' planning, where Garmin's maps may well not feature single bike width goat trails. But for the vast majority of real world route creation, it should be more than adequate.

I attempted to use this site but it says i need to download the communicator plug in. i did this but it says my pc cant see the plug in??

Any ideas?

Thanks

That's only to export the file direct to your twat nav and is a pain.I use a Mac and it doesn't work very well in Chrome so I have to use Safari if I want to do that.

The easiest way is to simply plan your route on Motogoloco,then click Export and then click "GPX" under the 'Download the file" header.

Your file will then be downloaded.

Then plug in your sat nav.I have Garmins but assume Tom Toms etc are similar.When the Garmin icon pops up on the desktop,double click on it to reveal the GPX folder then locate the file you have downloaded and drag it or copy and paste it from it's current location to the GPX folder you've opened up.

When you switch on your twat nav it should recognise that new routes have been imported,or open up Trip Planner and they will be in there.

Sounds a faff but is very simple in practice.

That is probably just as easy in BaseCamp and Mapsource.

I'll admit that I used to build a route, point by point by point in Mapsource but once I got myself confident with clicking on my start point, then on my end point and then using the shaping tool to pull the route to follow the directions and roads I want to use I find it much faster and easier. All of the many routes that I have created in Travel for say the last five years have been created this way.

My only tip would be to try turning the routing preferences off. Why? It stops the route taking directions that I don't readily understand. OK I could set it to avoid motorways and it would, with absolute certainty. The problem I find is that sometimes I want to take a motorway and I've forgotten that I have precluded motorway use.

That last bit might be useful as in Motogoloco I have to create different sections of route if I want different preferences - I'll give it a go

That's only to export the file direct to your twat nav and is a pain.I use a Mac and it doesn't work very well in Chrome so I have to use Safari if I want to do that.

The easiest way is to simply plan your route on Motogoloco,then click Export and then click "GPX" under the 'Download the file" header.

Then plug in your sat nav.I have Garmins but assume Tom Toms etc are similar.When the Garmin icon pops up on the desktop,double click on it to reveal the GPX folder then locate the file you have downloaded and drag it or copy and paste it from it's current location to the GPX folder you've opened up.

When you switch on your twat nav it should recognise that new routes have been imported,or open up Trip Planner and they will be in there.

Perfect. Easy once you get the right answer! Thanks loads.

I know this is a very old Thread but I'm having problems with MotoGoLoco now too.
Recently my PC version of Safari has started refusing to load the Page so I've had to resort to using a different Browser to create Routes.
The problem is that when I download the GPX File to the Zumo 660, it seems to interpret it incorrectly and adds Waypoints that aren't in the original Route at all.
Any idea what might be causing this please?

Back
Top Bottom