BMW Approved Oil and best place to buy it...5w40?

The website is showing an equivalent oil for under £12. Why not buy that? JJH

If you read the spec its the same as the BMW stuff. It's fine for a wet clutch.
I buy all my oils from Asda. Never had any trouble.:thumb2

Whilst this oil exceeds the API spec required it does not meet the JASO spec. There is plenty of info out there and I have just had a lengthy and protracted exchange with BMW on the matter of oil choice. In summary BMW say use ours or warranty void. I say choose an oil that meets JASO spec in the manual and meets or exceeds the API spec in the manual.

Personally I would not use this oil from Asda and for the sake of a few £'s I don't want to have a warranty argument with BMW so use theirs. (It's Shell BTW).

Whilst this oil exceeds the API spec required it does not meet the JASO spec. There is plenty of info out there and I have just had a lengthy and protracted exchange with BMW on the matter of oil choice. In summary BMW say use ours or warranty void. I say choose an oil that meets JASO spec in the manual and meets or exceeds the API spec in the manual.

Personally I would not use this oil from Asda and for the sake of a few £'s I don't want to have a warranty argument with BMW so use theirs. (It's Shell BTW).

I take your point re the warranty, one can't give the dealers any room for manoeuvre. It's not worth the gamble for peace of mind.
In my case my bikes are out of warranty, but still no issues after many miles.

I'm with you, the Asda stuff is not the right spec and nor is the Halfords 5w 40 Motul do one which is cheaper than the BMW / shell oil if people want to pay less then I can't blame them but at least use the right grade of oil.

I've used the Motul 5w 40 JASO spec 75000 and it seems to improve the gear change.

Apparently it's the design of the clutch on the LC that needs the 5w oil

Terry

If you read the spec its the same as the BMW stuff. It's fine for a wet clutch.
I buy all my oils from Asda. Never had any trouble.:thumb2

I read the spec and it say nothing about wet clutches or the magic JASO-MA/MA2 bit. I scrimped and used car shop 10W-40 in a Tiger 955i I owned. I later had to replace the clutch plates after terminal clutch slip set in.

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/motorcycling/motorcycle-oils/valvoline-synpower-4t-5w-40-1-litre is the proper spec - 5W/40 and meets JASO MA2
Your local shop will not stock it but simple to order online and collect later - order using Quidco, pay with a card registered with Quidco and use a Halfords Trade card and it is not much over a tenner a litre.
Mine took 3 days to arrive from the warehouse.

Valvoline Synpower Motorcycle Oil 4T 5W-40 1 Litre Extra Info

5W-40 Oil
Fully complies with the latest JASO specifications
API SN, JASO T903-MA2 certified

14 quid a gallon........ I wouldn't use it in my car either!

Sent from a OnePlusX.

Back
Top Bottom