Mapsource cannot find Nav 6 device - Q from Spider

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very useful advice there Scorp888, my issue isn't with Basecamp, although that tells me no device is connected as well...Seems Garmin have come on in leaps and bounds in the last 5 years. Thanks anyway.

Ok, so does windows/mac show the device at all?
If it doesn't then it's a cable/windows issue.

Princess sarky bollocks !! Brilliant

Map source is obsolete though and as I have said before on many occasions

Garmin have a good product with their Nav units, they also have a decent enough product with the dedicated mapping software for those Nav units and if you think about it using obsolete or third party mapping software is always going to have its "risks".

John and I have debated this previously and i suppose its like leaded and unleaded petrol engines the old ones can still run with additives etc but the times have changed and its time to move with them
Why?... Mapsource works perfectly..but then I know how to use it... and am not lumbered with a Mac thingy...

I don't need the bells and whistles in Bitchcamp.. just the ability to create my own routes quickly and efficiently.

( Princess Sarky Bollocks.That's copyright by the way.)

When Basecamp first came out, it didn't have Postcode search, which was a bastid...

Mapsource still accepts map updates and having well over 1500 waypoints on my list and a couple of dozen routes, I can't be arsed to change over...sort of if it aint broke, don't fix it. The only tiny tiny snagget was the frickin "Mass Data Storage" issue, which was also a probs for Basecamp.

Step forward my superhero Ian and 30 secs later I've accessed the hidden menu, changed to Mass Storage, downloaded all my routes for a trip next week, fed the fish, tidied my sock drawer and home in time for tea and medals. Upset Wapping and his little playfriends into the bargain...Win win or what ?

When Basecamp first came out, it didn't have Postcode search, which was a bastid...

Mapsource still accepts map updates and having well over 1500 waypoints on my list and a couple of dozen routes, I can't be arsed to change over...sort of if it aint broke, don't fix it. The only tiny tiny snagget was the frickin "Mass Data Storage" issue, which was also a probs for Basecamp.

Step forward my superhero Ian and 30 secs later I've accessed the hidden menu, changed to Mass Storage, downloaded all my routes for a trip next week, fed the fish, tidied my sock drawer and home in time for tea and medals. Upset Wapping and his little playfriends into the bargain...Win win or what ?

Tea and medals

Not heard that in a long time

I think you know as well as I do that the "problem" is just that all later Garmin devices need to be set to mass storage mode to work with Mapsource. They a could have been shipped out by Garmin with mass storage as the default but they chose not too. Changing it is easy once you know how. In that mode they still work with Basecamp too. Press top right of volume screen until the hidden menus appear and scroll down until you find mass storage mode. It's down to each person to decide on using Basecamp or Mapsource. Whilst Basecamp is still being developed and Mapsource hasn't been changed for years you could argue that Basecamp still needs work to make it more user friendly. I find it clunky compared to Mapsource especially on the small notepad size computer I travel with. Others disagree but its all down to personal preferences.

John

You sir are a gentleman, just off to see if the 'puter recognises me new nav5 after an hour or so of flaffing about.

:thumb2

So Basecamp couldn't see the device not in mass storage mode either?

I had to read that double negative twice.

I have written this reply slowly, as I know you read slowly.
I've also done it as a summary list, as we know you love those.

1/ He states that neither Mapsource nor basecamp can see the device.
2/ He states that Express can.
3/ He then claims that both Mapsource and Basecamp can see the device in non MTP mode, i.e mass storage mode enabled.

This is strange, as Basecamp can see every other Navigator on the planet in MTP mode.

Only old stuff like poiloader and mapsource need mass storage mode.

Any questions, you know that you feel add to the discssion, please come on down...

Threads like this one prove I've invested my twelve pounds very wisely. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom