firmware flash update of Zumo 590 unit to 595.

grantmac

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Read on the Dutch forum that they were talking about updating the ZUMO 590 firmware so that it basically becomes a 595 unit. Apparently someone has found a trick whereby this can be done. The hardware in both units is exactly the same and its just a matter of changing the firmware of the 590 by ''Flashing'' -whatever that means- and hey presto you have a 595 unit.
Anyone know anything about that here?

The Flashing refers to the changing of the firmware if you will, it normally comes from the device maker in the form of a download, this firmware controls the way the hardware operates, its a bit like software for hardware.
I could see that it may be true, as it is more than possible that garmin have made 1 unit that works different with different firmware.

thks, what are the risks of trying it? Any ideas?

The risk is that you end up with an expensive paperweight.
No offence meant, but if you had to ask the question what 'flashing' was, might I suggest that this mod is not for you.

thks, what are the risks of trying it? Any ideas?

It will either work or it wont, you risk turning your very good garmin product into an expensive paper weight, or upgrading it to the unit you would like it to be. if it was me i would first find out if it was indeed possible and if it was i would try it, but thats just me,. I should also add that i am pretty savy with things like this.

Looking at the 595 specs from Garmin it appears the gains are limited to the way it handles some routing plus Spotify, the 590 already works well with the Garmin Smartlink app.
I use Spotify with my 590 routed via my iPhone and it works fine, it just needs to be controlled via the phone. I think the idea of flashing it just to turn it into the latest gizmo is one for the geeks, I'd no doubt break mine doing it :D

Just upgraded my 590 to a 595 and it was all very straightforward.

Major changes are:

The inclusion of Spotify as an app (I use that a lot on long tours for music so most welcome)
The ability to push GPX routes direct to the unit from your phone
Adventurous routing to pick curvy routes rather than motorways
Some additional alerts for tight bends etc..

Anything else I've missed?

I followed the instructions HERE if you're feeling brave...

@Jim, I thought the 595 has a slider for the amount of twistiness of the roads - is that not the case?
And when you say push GPX routes direct from your phone, does that mean also from PC? I'm trying to work out how one would get a GPX onto the phone (unless it's a non-Apple phone you're referring to).

Thanks

Flashing alternative firmware onto devices is nothing new.

The pro's more often than not outweigh the cons.

basically you overwrite the original OS (Operating System) with a new one.

The easy way is to load an update file to the unit and tell it ( the unit) to run the file.

The hard way it to use a J tag & telnet and go into the OS at command level and tell it to run the new file.

You need to accept if you fuck it up your £600 pound unit may brick (become a dead paperweight)

I did it with a phone bareley 2 hours old :eek: locked it into a boot loop :nenau

Luckily the fix was on the web ;)

Would i do it again hell yeah, if you can get a device to run alternate firmware & OS, its a win all round

Once i have used my new to me 590 for a while i'm going to go for the flash upgrade as i just can not, not have a go :D

A bit like building a Hackintosh, but without all the kernel panics.

Once i have used my new to me 590 for a while i'm going to go for the flash upgrade as i just can not, not have a go :D

Well, having almost bought a new Zumo XT which i decided against due in some part to the present lockdown, i decided to give the flashing a go.

It worked :thumb2 An easy process with no dramas and done in minutes. I now have a 595 with all the features of that model. There is, tbh, a couple
of small dodges which can be got around one of which is the 595 keyboard which i sorted very quickly using the advice on the forum. The other dodge
is with Basecamp where it doesn't recognise the device but that can be ignored really as it does still work but if you want it sorted properly the answer
again, is on the forum. I'm not too bothered about it but will probably sort it eventually. The upgrade brings with it quite a lot of extra features over the
590 including easier route shaping on the device just by touching the screen where you want the route you have planned to go.

All in all then, a very worthwhile exercise :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom