Used GS Question

Sidney

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
All

Probably been answered a million times but...I'm going to buy a used 1200 GS. I've tried several over the years and am ready to see the light.

With the budget I have, I could go for a 2005-6 model or stretch to the updated model potentially with ESA.

So the question is the newer model much better or not worth the extra ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It depends om how much money you have and are willing to spend ;) I'd avoid the years with servo brakes and rather buy a newer bike with some miles on it thats been well serviced than an older with fewer miles on it at a similar price.

In my experience miles doesn't kill bikes. Age and neglect and improper servicing does.

In my experience the 05/06 1200's are great bikes. They have all been well sorted, go well and are great value in my opinion.

I see no real benefit of anything newer unless you get a TC which has slighty more low down power but not enough to worry about in my opinion. I have an 06GSA with 140k on the clock and it's still sweet.

Also, if you go for one with ESA, you may well be in for a bill at some point when the shocks go which they generally do between 30 and 40k.

Find a nice 05/06 and spend your extra money of some nice bits and pieces and a few great trips.

With the upgrade in 08 came slightly more power and torque and revised gearbox as well as some styling tweaks. Also you could spec a computer, ASC and ESA plus the ABS unit was upgraded as well. Personally, I prefer the 04-07 GS in looks over the 08-12. As others have said, avoid the early servo brake versions. Go on condition and service schedule rather than age. In terms of the ESA, Sgt Bilko is right that the rear shock will need attention at some stage...but this is true on any bike. You can get the rear shock reconditioned by MCT for about £150 in postage so I wouldn't worry too much.

A couple of things to watch on the early models include the fuel pump that can go due to corrosion, however, this will probably have been replaced due to a fuel housing recall a couple of years ago. The rear rota was also subject to a recall last year due to cracks, so ensure this has been sorted. Also worth checking is the EWS sensor, again these could go without warning and leave you stranded....again probably sorted by now.

My January 2007 has the computer and the newer ABS2......... I think a few of the updates where pushed through onto bikes from Sept 2006 onwards (correct me if I'm wrong)

Also ASC was available to be specced onto my bike........... It can also be retrofitted (which I am considering doing as I ride all through the winter)

Sent from a OnePlusX.

I still have my 05 1200 which I bought new. 12 years, 65000 miles I have no plans to part with it.

In recent years I have replaced the alternator and removed the brake servo. I converted the alternator from the OE denso (I think that was who made it) which cracked with internal corrosion after being in a damp garage for the winter, to the bosch. This has a two part casing with a gap. There is no record of these cracking that I have found.
The Servo packed up and SH ones with no guarantee are £500. I removed it and fitted the bypass kit £30.ish I've kept the servo and pipework in case someone starts doing refurbs.

My brother has recently bought the 04 1200GS. his is lower mileage and virtually full service history and is probably in better condition then mine. Everything works as it did from new.

Mine hasn't had the easiest life, Ive used it as an instructor bike and it's been round Europe 4 or five times (touching 95mph up the stelvio pass was fun). I've dropped it six times (twice in the Corwen ford) tried to ride it off road (discovered gravel roads are really about my limit) Got it very muddy, left it unwashed for nearly a year. It's even been up a ski slope in the middle of France (surprising how steep they actually are).

Both my shocks are original, oil tight and work fine, I haven't warn out the original front disc pads yet either. The servo bikes go through rear pads very quickly though. I would say three time faster than bikes without ABS (front brake leaver brings both brakes on, variable % dependent on speed. At slow speeds the rear is favored).

These bikes are IMHO the bees. I haven't finished with mine yet, not be any means.

Val.

And if you do find a nice 05/06

Make sure it wasn't owned by luddite cockwombles who have left all the major bits that could go wrong to the next owner !

Mine's for sale and it's lovely. :hide

Yes i know :blast

Had i known what the maintenance shy wombles that had owned my bike previously were like I'd not have bought it in all honesty ...

You live and learn as they say :)

Mart

I'm currently riding a 2006 GS with servo brakes! had it 2 years a previous one I owned for 4 years, I wish it didnt have servo brakes but it does but neither brake system has let me down yet, if it does I'll remove it, you hear stories of the ones that have failed but not of the ones (vast majority) that are still as they should be...I love my bike, when i bought it I had a choice of this and a 2009, mine had 9k, immaculate looking, above and beyond full service history, the newer one 19k no service history and a tiny bit tatty, mine was £6k newer one was £6500 so nothing in the price, when i went to view the bikes I fell in love with the older one, I'm still in love with it, it does everything I ask it to, and it still looks totally mint, I've kept the BMW service going it's now got 27k and never missed a beat. So my answer to your question is go with your heart mate, you'll know when you see it.

Yes i know :blast

Had i known what the maintenance shy wombles that had owned my bike previously were like I'd not have bought it in all honesty ...

You live and learn as they say :)

Mart

Mart, you're paranoid. :comfort

I was merely mentioning it for the OPs information.

A Wilbers ESA shock costs a bit more than a none ESA but it's not a massive amount. Both versions are north of £1000 when doing both ends.

Replaced the OEM shocks last year with Wilbur's (non ESA) and used Revs Suspension.
John is a very knowledgable and friendly guy, cost was about £1000 supplied and I fitted them.

I'm just in the process of replacing the ESA shocks on my 2010 TC at 41k miles.
They're both in good condition with no leaks and, while they still have damping going around bends, you feel every ripple on the road if not perfectly smooth.
If I'm being honest, they should have been replaced last year.
If looking at anything with the original shocks at 30k or more, I would be expecting to have to put your hand in your pocket. The consensus of opinions on the forum is around 25-30k miles for re build or replacement and I would have to agree.
Getting the originals re built will cost £3-400 and some thing like Wilbers, the thick end of a grand.
I'm literally right in the middle of replacing mine with a new set of WP ESA shocks I picked up on eBay.
Hopefully, I've made a good buy at £630.

Thanks for all the replies some useful stuff there. As far looks go the older bike edges it and I've got the budget to find a nice one.My mate has a 2005 which he loves. We've been on several Euro tours and it's been perfect. I have done the same but on a Speed Triple. Can't do it again

Thanks for all the replies some useful stuff there. As far looks go the older bike edges it and I've got the budget to find a nice one.My mate has a 2005 which he loves. We've been on several Euro tours and it's been perfect. I have done the same but on a Speed Triple. Can't do it again

Are you saying my bike isn't a nice one? Already has a Wilburs on the rear!!!!! Go on, take a look. Ready and waiting to tour. You know you want to.

It was owned by Mikeyboy for 10 years. Folk will tell you that's a reason to buy right there.

Are you saying my bike isn't a nice one? Already has a Wilburs on the rear!!!!! Go on, take a look. Ready and waiting to tour. You know you want to.

It was owned by Mikeyboy for 10 years. Folk will tell you that's a reason to buy right there.

That will be one of the very best 1200's out there........get it bought :thumb

The later model (Mk2) has a nicer engine but the frame paint is by far not as good as the Mk 1.

Early bikes have Showa shocks. The ESA is different from later WP versions, so the shocks are not interchangeable.

My Mk 2 adventure has ESA but the shocks are in dire need of rebuild. I've fitted some non ESA GS shocks until I have the cash to rebuild the OEMs or get Wilbers fitted.

The ESA versions (even worn) rides smoother than plain.
The ESA has more static sag so shortarses like me have an easier time.
The ESA has a wider damping range than non ESA. All three settings are useful.
The non ESA is either bouncing like a slow pogo stick or knocking your fillings out. There is really only about one useful damping setting.

I will be glad to go back to ESA and even better if I can stretch to Wilbers.

Don't forget Wilbers have to be serviced every 15K miles as part of the warranty requirements. TBH the OEMs would last indefinitely if they were serviced every 15K miles.
Apart from costs, the big issue is hassle. It takes quite some work to swap the shocks then you have to do it all again when the serviced set come back.

I have to say I'm quite intrigued ,67k is pretty high. I'm guessing that Mikeyboy would have flushed out and fixed any of the known issues.

I have to say I'm quite intrigued ,67k is pretty high. I'm guessing that Mikeyboy would have flushed out and fixed any of the known issues.

There can always be issues, but he's also serviced it since I've had it, it's also been back to BMW for the flange recall and they also never suggested any issues with the back end.

It's a fab bike that goes well. If you rode it, I don't think the mileage wouldn't bother you. Let me know if you fancy popping up for a look at it. It's currently at Mike's so you can also ask him any questions too.

Back
Top Bottom