Right.....help needed

Pauly S

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Im sitting on the fence here, Im due to ring up BMW on monday to place an order for a new Rally.
But i cant see its 13000 pounds better than my 1150 GS.
Ive ridden it for 2 hours on saturday and tbh my wilbers kitted 1150 takes some beating.I dont want the ESA,hill start assist,gear change pro,abs,led headlamp and all that techno wizardry, i was just going to order one with pillion pack,heated grips, and cruise control..At this rate im gonna weld my wallet shut.
The story was the wife said to me ,your bike is a bit long in the tooth, and its about time you replaced it.Youve got the money, go buy a new one! .What a Girl!
But for me,other than the cruise,i feel the wc is just as good as the wilbers 1150.yes theres a bit more power,but i dont wring the neck on the 1150 very often anyways.The panniers are smaller,yes i know you can get aftermarket ones. just wiring in spotlamps on the LC needs a canbus adaptor ffs.Theres bugger all room under the seat for any gizmos unlike the 1150.Other than the fact its new machine with 2 years warranty and no grief and no mot for three years...im fading here
Somebody sell it to me please.I'm struggling to warrant it.

once you have had the new bike for a few months you will ask yourself why did not change earlier,they take a bit of imo

just wiring in spotlamps on the LC needs a canbus adaptor ffs.

No it doesn't, I just wired the relay trigger into the Canbus linked fused connector under the seat and the lights direct to the battery, Givi lights that came with a full look and switch. Works fine.

How about buying the very nearly new LC that was advertised on here yesterday for an absolute bargain price of £11,500?

Sounds like you have done quite a bit with your old bike, how much will you need to do to the new one if you get it.
When you say long in the tooth, how long are we talking?
Also how reliable has the 1150 been?
A couple of mates had them and they in my experience are about the most bomb proof bikes on the planet.
All that said though I like a shiny new toy every 2 to 3 years so I would probably get the new one.

You don't need doubts on a £13,000 purchase..........

Have a rethink and look at good used bikes around £10k - see how they fit in to your desires. :rob

Al

Well they are great bikes and I had a 12GSA WC last year which cost me £13.5k ish. Rode it for the summer putting about 6k on it. Thouroughly enjoyed it, but I ended up selling it come autumn when I realised at present I can ride a 1150GSA which cost 3k if that and it does exactly the same as the 13.5k bike. Although granted not as fast or as flash but for more than 10k back in my account more than worth it.

The cruise control, newer led lights and adjustable screen were great. Everything else I could give or take.

If you have the dosh ready to go, go for it.

I wouldn't have one on pcp, just seems a waste of dosh in the end.

I'm probably one of the few that's gone back, but I don't really keep the bikes long term like yourself anyway.

Good luck with the choice,

once you have had the new bike for a few months you will ask yourself why did not change earlier,they take a bit of imo
Good point.

No it doesn't, I just wired the relay trigger into the Canbus linked fused connector under the seat and the lights direct to the battery, Givi lights that came with a full look and switch. Works fine.
live and learn, well done!

How about buying the very nearly new LC that was advertised on here yesterday for an absolute bargain price of £11,500?
i'll check that out!
Ta .

Sounds like you have done quite a bit with your old bike, how much will you need to do to the new one if you get it. Panniers, autocom,fogs,sat nag,two way radio.
When you say long in the tooth, how long are we talking? ive had it for about 8 years , its a 2001
Also how reliable has the 1150 been? faultless really.
A couple of mates had them and they in my experience are about the most bomb proof bikes on the planet. 1200 wc or the 1150?
All that said though I like a shiny new toy every 2 to 3 years so I would probably get the new one.

You don't need doubts on a £13,000 purchase..........

Have a rethink and look at good used bikes around £10k - see how they fit in to your desires. :rob good idea!

Al

Well they are great bikes and I had a 12GSA WC last year which cost me £13.5k ish. Rode it for the summer putting about 6k on it. Thouroughly enjoyed it, but I ended up selling it come autumn when I realised at present I can ride a 1150GSA which cost 3k if that and it does exactly the same as the 13.5k bike. Although granted not as fast or as flash but for more than 10k back in my account more than worth it.

The cruise control, newer led lights and adjustable screen were great. Everything else I could give or take.

If you have the dosh ready to go, go for it.

I wouldn't have one on pcp, just seems a waste of dosh in the end.

I'm probably one of the few that's gone back, but I don't really keep the bikes long term like yourself anyway.

Good luck with the choice,

Thanks Dude, good advice!

The game has moved on , the new tech in the rallye is futuristic compared to the old iron horses.

As your lovely wife says, you can afford it, so go for it. In a couple of years time she might not agree to that so do it now while you can, you won't look back . Keep the 1150 and if you don't like the new in six months get rid, if you do like get rid of the old .

I had an 1150, rs not gs and loved it. Cried when i sold it, still miss it.
However my new GS is amazing, its safer, faster and makes me a better rider.
Everytime i take it out is a pleasure. Last week over the lake district was epic.

Just do it. You can customise it to your hearts content over time.
Dont worry about all the negative stuff you hear they are the best bikes in the world.

Just do it...........

Then post a picture ��

If you do order one you will not be able to get spotlights fitted. BMW haven't got around to making the mounting brackets yet.

Where there is doubt, there is no doubt.
I think after the few hours on the LC you have decided that you have an 1150 that really suits you.
I went from Hex Head, to TC, and am on my second LC, a lowered suspension GSA TB.
For me it is the best I have ever owned, but I never doubted that I wanted an LC. It is lighter on all the controls, sharper handling (compared to my Hex Head ADV with Ohlins), better fuelling and gearbox (just the new 17 year though), etc....
If you really get on with the 1150GS, keep it. Even if it gives you a bit of expense, £13000 goes a long way to fixing it, and it is a bike you love. £13000 does a lot of travelling as well.
All this is very personal, so although I may be talking rubbish, my decision makes sense to me, as should your decision to you.

Now, wasn't that real helpful ;-)

Have fun with whichever route you take.

Pauly, I think you have decided but want others to change your mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The game has moved on , the new tech in the rallye is futuristic compared to the old iron horses. Do you think so? i thought it ever so noisy.

As your lovely wife says, you can afford it, so go for it. In a couple of years time she might not agree to that so do it now while you can, you won't look back . Keep the 1150 and if you don't like the new in six months get rid, if you do like get rid of the old .
too true and good points ta

I had an 1150, rs not gs and loved it. Cried when i sold it, still miss it.
However my new GS is amazing, its safer, faster and makes me a better rider.
Everytime i take it out is a pleasure. Last week over the lake district was epic.

Just do it. You can customise it to your hearts content over time.
Dont worry about all the negative stuff you hear they are the best bikes in the world.

Just do it...........

Then post a picture ��
haha thanks for the advice.

If you do order one you will not be able to get spotlights fitted. BMW haven't got around to making the mounting brackets yet.
haha i can make those.

Where there is doubt, there is no doubt.
I think after the few hours on the LC you have decided that you have an 1150 that really suits you.
I went from Hex Head, to TC, and am on my second LC, a lowered suspension GSA TB.
For me it is the best I have ever owned, but I never doubted that I wanted an LC. It is lighter on all the controls, sharper handling (compared to my Hex Head ADV with Ohlins), better fuelling and gearbox (just the new 17 year though), etc....
If you really get on with the 1150GS, keep it. Even if it gives you a bit of expense, £13000 goes a long way to fixing it, and it is a bike you love. £13000 does a lot of travelling as well.
All this is very personal, so although I may be talking rubbish, my decision makes sense to me, as should your decision to you.

Now, wasn't that real helpful ;-)

Have fun with whichever route you take.
sound advice ta

Pauly, I think you have decided but want others to change your mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
you know me too well haha

The other plus ive thought of is the up to date ABS system,which is a big safety plus i think.Mine doesnt have it,when i bought my 1150 i got it without the ABS as it was pants at the time , with lots of problems.

Or.......Keep the 1150, refresh the suspension, Hilltop the bike and stick some new tyres on it then with the rest of the money dissapear round Europe for 6 months or a trip to NZ or a trip to......................

You are always going to have a little bit of doubt, as I had. Don't worry, you will be buying a fine motorcycle. It isn't perfect (I get the crank with the gearbox) but OVERALL is there anything better out there?

Maybe you need a longer test ride and possibly, test rides on all it's rivals. Look closely at what you are going to do with it but don't get too prescriptive, after all, what's the problem with having a bike that exceeds your needs?

Think carefully about not having the ESA. I was going to do that but was persuaded to get it. I'm glad I did and if you sell it, buyers will expect it.:beerjug:

The other plus ive thought of is the up to date ABS system,which is a big safety plus i think.Mine doesnt have it,when i bought my 1150 i got it without the ABS as it was pants at the time , with lots of problems.

Are you a chap that needs abs

You have done ok up to now

Abs is one thing that puts me off modern bikes, I don't want it

Or.......Keep the 1150, refresh the suspension, Hilltop the bike and stick some new tyres on it then with the rest of the money dissapear round Europe for 6 months or a trip to NZ or a trip to......................
i didnt know you could hilltop an 1150? interesting...

You are always going to have a little bit of doubt, as I had. Don't worry, you will be buying a fine motorcycle. It isn't perfect (I get the crank with the gearbox) but OVERALL is there anything better out there? A good question...im looking

Maybe you need a longer test ride and possibly, test rides on all it's rivals. Look closely at what you are going to do with it but don't get too prescriptive, after all, what's the problem with having a bike that exceeds your needs?

Think carefully about not having the ESA. I was going to do that but was persuaded to get it. I'm glad I did and if you sell it, buyers will expect it.:beerjug:
Theres always somebody like me who doesnt do farkles

Are you a chap that needs abs

You have done ok up to now

Abs is one thing that puts me off modern bikes, I don't want it
Dunno another good question...

Back
Top Bottom