IAM training/"making progress"

It’s the not exceeding the speed limit when overtaking that’s messing my head about ... ie the car I’m overtaking is doing 45 in a 60, I start the overtake not speeding ... the car speeds up to 60 ... I’m then stuck ... so I have to drop back.

Drop to the appropriate gear and gun it, you will be past the car long before he reaches 60 mph. Use the advantage you have with the bike. Always making sure its safe to do it. Remember IPSGA

how often has that happened ? once ?, take your time you will get past,restraint will pay dividends on your test

Yes it will but if you fail to take an overtake when its definately on and safe you will be marked down. There is a limit to how long you can dawdle around behide a slow mover, ie one who is well below the limit. Just my ramblings :nenau

It’s the not exceeding the speed limit when overtaking that’s messing my head about ... ie the car I’m overtaking is doing 45 in a 60, I start the overtake not speeding ... the car speeds up to 60 ... I’m then stuck ... so I have to drop back.

I'd suggest the problem started shortly before the car speeded up ;)

It happens, they're called cnuts.

If, you are in the correct gear and have moved from the following position up to the overtaking position, having identified where the overtake is safe to start, unless they're driving a 911, you can out accelerate them safely move pass and return back to your own side of the road.

Bottom line, if it isn't safe wait until it is.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Yes it will but if you fail to take an overtake when its definately on and safe you will be marked down. There is a limit to how long you can dawdle around behide a slow mover, ie one who is well below the limit. Just my ramblings :nenau

yep,but with the limited info supplied as in the actual information prior to the overtake from the op i chose to keep it simple for our associate friend!,just as a ex,if following the car and you notice eratic speed differances your best to leave a legal overtake till a certain time you know the car will slow significantly ie rh bend for ex.On the test if following such an erratic driver restraint will pay divdends and mean that an overtake oppotunity although MAY be on, the previous driving history of the car negates this unless of course the car slows to say a ridiculous 30mph in a national.As you know very difficult to comment if we wernt there!.

yep,but with the limited info supplied as in the actual information prior to the overtake from the op i chose to keep it simple for our associate friend!,just as a ex,if following the car and you notice eratic speed differances your best to leave a legal overtake till a certain time you know the car will slow significantly ie rh bend for ex.On the test if following such an erratic driver restraint will pay divdends and mean that an overtake oppotunity although MAY be on, the previous driving history of the car negates this unless of course the car slows to say a ridiculous 30mph in a national.As you know very difficult to comment if we wernt there!.

Yes i quite agree with all you have said. Providing its safe to do so, is a phrase ive never forgotten from my Observer days.

How is a rider to interpret early on, such a maneuver by the driver in front?

plan the overtake which includes checking out the driver in front as best as possible,having a plan,if the buyer had a plan he would be next to the car on his 3 stage overtake,as the car speeded up he should use this info to realise the overtake is no longer on and slip back to the following position

How is a rider to interpret early on, such a maneuver by the driver in front?
Because they're driving like a cnut.

Was out with a recent new associate on a social run. Cars doing 30ish in a 40, she decided overtake was on, but he boxed her out and she had to brake hard and pull back in.

My comment afterwards was, did you not see how he was trying to force car ahead to speed up, even though there was several other cars in front of them.

He was an aggressive driver only focused on being quicker. I could see he was a twat, and sadly I wasn't surprised by his action of closing right up and stopping her overtaking.

Personally I'd wait until I could do both of them safely, on a rhd bend, then I don't have to worry about him crawling all over my arse.

Thank you for the comments .. it’s just a new way of riding for me, and one which that takes time to adapt to... as I’m being told by my instructor that under no circumstances must you exceed the speed limit, dropping back would be my only option.

I’m also now busy practicing right foot down, bike in neutral when stationary for period of time. Feels a bit like learning to dance lol.

Its so much easier when you have an exemption in the nationals .... :D:D

Apparently I’m ready for test :eek:

Great ride out around NW today, even with the rain, with my observer and at our last stop at Rug for coffee, he said “well that’s it, your ready for test” .... god I hate tests, was never any good in school lol

I’ve learnt so much riding with NWAM, and got rid of a few ( not all ) of my bad habits.. highly recommend doing the training :thumb2

Great ride out around NW today, even with the rain, with my observer and at our last stop at Rug for coffee, he said “well that’s it, your ready for test” .... god I hate tests, was never any good in school lol

I’ve learnt so much riding with NWAM, and got rid of a few ( not all ) of my bad habits.. highly recommend doing the training :thumb2
Go in with the attitude of, it doesn't matter about a pass or fail. It's about putting into practice what I've learnt.

If you've been told you're test ready, you won't need good luck.

Also don't forget to get your obs a nice box of chocolates or similar

Good luck. I read your comment about right foot down, this just shows the difference in groups training. I have now passed the RoSPA and IAM test twice and nobody has given a stuff which foot I put down, sometimes its the left sometimes its the right, depending on the camber and situation when I stop.

Good luck. I read your comment about right foot down, this just shows the difference in groups training. I have now passed the RoSPA and IAM test twice and nobody has given a stuff which foot I put down, sometimes its the left sometimes its the right, depending on the camber and situation when I stop.

With forward thinking, you don't have to put any feet down..... just keep rolling ever so gently!

For the final polish, have a look at Micky of this parish 's thoughts on advanced riding.

http://www.adventure.gs/Adventure.GS/Riding_Hints.html

Written years ago when he was still in full possession of his faculties! :augie :D Seriously though, you'll not go far wrong putting his thoughts into practice! Good luck with the test. :thumb

Back
Top Bottom