IAM training/"making progress"

Some advice please.
I am about to retire and giving serious thought to volunteering for supporting events / organisations that need motorcyclists eg Triathlon / cycle races, milk / blood donors etc.
However you need to have some certificate up front from likes of IAM / RoSPA etc.
If any of you do this sort of thing, any views which is the better cert to go for?
I have been riding bikes for getting on 45 years, so no doubt some bad habits, not least is "making good progress" as was required for when did my Adv motorists some 30 years ago!
thanks

I am a volunteer blood biker as well, I did both the IAM and RoSPA. I did both the training and tests with 1st Class Rider Trg in Cardiff on a one week course. My assessment is, there was no real difference between the two tests, so as others have said, if you're doing it over a period of time, then just pick the best group nearest to you, both achieve the same aims. I am currently doing my IAM car as well, so far the training has been good, I would have done RoSPA but my local group wasn't close and I got a good discount for a second category from IAM :)

Gents
First many thanks for the prompt responses.
I see a theme emerging to do the taster and get a feel for the team members.
That said the nearest Rospa is some 120 miles away :blast with IAM just 40miles away, might be self selecting.
Next step will be to head to Scottish Bike show in March see who is there and have a chat.

Gents
First many thanks for the prompt responses.
I see a theme emerging to do the taster and get a feel for the team members.
That said the nearest Rospa is some 120 miles away :blast with IAM just 40miles away, might be self selecting.
Next step will be to head to Scottish Bike show in March see who is there and have a chat.

IAM will be at the show. Not sure about RoSPA.

As others have said, it is entirely about the group and how you gel with them and, in particular, your observer . If you join IAM at the show you will get 15 months membership for a discounted price of £99. On top of that there may be a further contribution to make to your observer's fuel costs (each group varies).

Knowing that you can get that discount at the show, why not be proactive and try to get a taster session with your local group before the show? Then you are best placed to decide if IAM is right for you and to benefit from the discount.

Although as those that know me 400 miles is a wee jaunt out, don't let the distance be the deciding factor.

The timescales for availability, sadly RoSPA in Scotland are not doing as well as IAM is; friendliness, no point being there if you aren't enjoying yourself; Social Aspect, most IAM groups, in general, have a wider range of events.

I've done both and enjoyed the difference in approaches, towards the same outcome, making you a safer rider.

As Glynn said, the discount saved from joining at the Scottish Bike Show, will offset any observer fuel costs.

Which ever way you go, just do it, don't put it off.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

I’ve just done a vid series on an initial
Ride out with the IAM as I’ll be undertaking a course with them on camera soon.

Have a watch and let me know what you think

Motorcycle Training - IAM RoadSmart Intro with Stuart HAYTHORN part 1

https://youtu.be/RgyvBpPX6IA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nice little vid that Teapot ..looking forward to seeing your Vlog on the IAM course

An observation, pun intended, maybe put a small reflective piece of tape on the back of your helmet, makes it easier to see you're checking your mirrors and side roads.

Congratulations and look forward to Part the two.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Great video especially since you were riding some of my favourite local roads! I love the ways these guys ride. It's super tiring at first but once the observations and positioning become second nature it feels so great. Well done for doing this with a bout of man flu!

First assessed ride this Sunday.

What have I let myself in for :blast

O well I’ve paid my money, let’s just hope they don’t ban me for my appalling riding style ... if in doubt, flat out... :green gri

What have I let myself in for :blast

O well I’ve paid my money, let’s just hope they don’t ban me for my appalling riding style ... if in doubt, flat out... :green gri

As I've always said, Police Class One :blagblah:blagblah

IAM Examiner for 24 years :blagblah:blagblah

Shut your good eye and go for it :D

:beerjug:

Works for me day in day out

A wise man once told me "What you cant see cant kill you" :eek:

Roadcraft is worth a read and the Bikesafe course is valuable but if you have at least an ounce of common sense the rest is not necessary unless you like passing exams and want to feel superior.

I have Roadcraft as my loo time read. I have ridden with a few people who have passed so call advanced courses and I'm amazed at the standards. I do constant self appraisal and even turn around and try bits of roads again or break down what I have done to see if I can improve. I have been an ADI for cars so I'm not wet behind the ears. Just thinking about what you are doing and why helps. As for making progress, do it when you want to but always remember the 'expert' who has a certificate may be behind the next corner.

Back
Top Bottom