IAM training/"making progress"

Jeeezussss H Christ ... 10% + 2 !! I am swinging the lamp here but back in 91 when I landed at Traffic my tutor was keen on nicking speeders .. in those days we used the hand held "Muni Quip" ( a simple radar device ) ... he wouldn,t touch anyone less than 45 in a 30 ... his reasoning ? "Well thats 50% of the speed limit and you cant argue with that ! " ... and no one ever fucking did !!!!!!:eek:

Feck me, how to make overtaking complicated!!!!

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Yup. Doesn't matter what bollox is talked here: it comes down to circs on the day and what the examiner makes of how the rider deals with those circs.

BUT, my god I've seen some crap riding from Instructors, Gold and FIRST pass riders at times. From life threatening low sides, crashes, static drops, rear end bumps, dangerous overtakes, excessive speed, all sorts.

When i did my Biker Down course, we were asked whether anyone had been present at an RTA that involved a motorcycle.

One chap put his hand up and said that in his mirror he had seen his observer have a head-on smash. oops...

Jeeezussss H Christ ... 10% + 2 !! I am swinging the lamp here but back in 91 when I landed at Traffic my tutor was keen on nicking speeders .. in those days we used the hand held "Muni Quip" ( a simple radar device ) ... he wouldn,t touch anyone less than 45 in a 30 ... his reasoning ? "Well thats 50% of the speed limit and you cant argue with that ! " ... and no one ever fucking did !!!!!!:eek:

Likewise up here back in the day :thumb

I gave up and said "No Thanks" to the IAM test and bid farewell to my very pleasant coach at the end of October.

My coaching rides had dragged out for more than a year for a few good reasons. The runs included 2 separate 2nd opinions along the way.

I wasn't crap to begin with (honest), having enjoyed some previous coaching plus IAM on 4 wheels long ago, had pretty much reached test standard, but (a) winter had arrived and I don't do cold, wet weather unnecessarily any more and (b) we continually disagreed over what I called trivialities.

My biggest bugbears were the difference of opinion among IAM coaches (too brisk, not brisk enough), the unrealistic eyes glued to speedo numbers at all times (including the difference between 2 bike speedos and my GPS). On my final run I was accused of "speeding" as I laboriously crawled past a 56 MPH truck on a straight A road, while my GPS track later proved to my satisfaction that I hadn't "overspeeded" all day".

All too much hard work. I simply decided the IAM test had no purpose for me.

I'm comfortable with where I am and don't need the anxiety of a seemingly subjective test from some stranger, who may or may not be having a good day.

Happy to have picked up a few tips along the way. Safe and smooth works for me.

I've slept better ever since chucking it.

ps - I still believe I failed my first 4 wheeler IAM test long ago in the middle of a dirty winter evening because the examiner was having a "bad day" and didn't like me from the kick off :)

I gave up and said "No Thanks" to the IAM test and bid farewell to my very pleasant coach at the end of October.

My coaching rides had dragged out for more than a year for a few good reasons. The runs included 2 separate 2nd opinions along the way.

I wasn't crap to begin with (honest), having enjoyed some previous coaching plus IAM on 4 wheels long ago, had pretty much reached test standard, but (a) winter had arrived and I don't do cold, wet weather unnecessarily any more and (b) we continually disagreed over what I called trivialities.

My biggest bugbears were the difference of opinion among IAM coaches (too brisk, not brisk enough), the unrealistic eyes glued to speedo numbers at all times (including the difference between 2 bike speedos and my GPS). On my final run I was accused of "speeding" as I laboriously crawled past a 56 MPH truck on a straight A road, while my GPS track later proved to my satisfaction that I hadn't "overspeeded" all day".

All too much hard work. I simply decided the IAM test had no purpose for me.

I'm comfortable with where I am and don't need the anxiety of a seemingly subjective test from some stranger, who may or may not be having a good day.

Happy to have picked up a few tips along the way. Safe and smooth works for me.

I've slept better ever since chucking it.

ps - I still believe I failed my first 4 wheeler IAM test long ago in the middle of a dirty winter evening because the examiner was having a "bad day" and didn't like me from the kick off :)

Too err is human.....

True, but there are supposed to be standards and some level of consistency.

The thing that seems to get omitted; if you're not enjoying it and it isn't 'fun' then something is wrong. Usually the instructor.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

I agree with you, all my associates passed and around 50% came away with a F1RST. You have to make it fun and not treat associates like they are idiots. Advanced riding isn’t about rules, but being a free thinking rider, and not one who does things by rote. Just my tuppence worth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with you, all my associates passed and around 50% came away with a F1RST. You have to make it fun and not treat associates like they are idiots. Advanced riding isn’t about rules, but being a free thinking rider, and not one who does things by rote. Just my tuppence worth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Totally agree, when I used to do cbt and pt1, we often got pupils who'd been elsewhere, then came to us.

Taught to pass a test, not how to ride.

Often it is better if you only have one observer, but other groups do it differently.

I've had several car associate's who haven't wanted to sit the test, which you have to respect.

It really doesn't matter who anyone does additional training with, as long as they go in with an open mind, they should come out a safer rider afterwards.

Totally agree, when I used to do cbt and pt1, we often got pupils who'd been elsewhere, then came to us.

Taught to pass a test, not how to ride.

Often it is better if you only have one observer, but other groups do it differently.

I've had several car associate's who haven't wanted to sit the test, which you have to respect.

It really doesn't matter who anyone does additional training with, as long as they go in with an open mind, they should come out a safer rider afterwards.

Thats what Dennis (RIP, PAL) & I did. We had our own associate from start to finish with only one check ride, usually the last one, being done by the other observer. That was until the IAM in its wisdom threw a spanner in our works by trying to tell us how to do it. That was it for me, why change a system that was working well ? they knew best or so they thought. I dont hear of the local group now as im not interested in the "commercial" side of the IAM. Its all about money, not about guiding riders/drivers to reach a standard whereby they could be considered "Advanced".

I am following with interest, because having been out with an IAM follower for an assessment ride, then with Warlord who followed me, as a riding friend rather than a formal assessment, it was suggested I choose an organisation to go through the system with to boost my confidence after my big off, because I am still cautious as a result. I have tried to sign up with the IAM, firstly straight after the assessed ride and was told to go and see them on the stand at the NEC, seeing as how I was going anyhow... the guys on the stand I saw in April at the South West Peninsular Spring Rally, which is organised by the Somerset lot. Even though they were manning the IAM stand at the NEC bike show, they sent me away and told me to sign up with my local group.... so I have been bounced twice. I am wondering whether they actually want my 'business' or not and am thinking about trying the ROSPA lot who are only a little bit further away, but for whom I have no contact details yet.

I am following with interest, because having been out with an IAM follower for an assessment ride, then with Warlord who followed me, as a riding friend rather than a formal assessment, it was suggested I choose an organisation to go through the system with to boost my confidence after my big off, because I am still cautious as a result. I have tried to sign up with the IAM, firstly straight after the assessed ride and was told to go and see them on the stand at the NEC, seeing as how I was going anyhow... the guys on the stand I saw in April at the South West Peninsular Spring Rally, which is organised by the Somerset lot. Even though they were manning the IAM stand at the NEC bike show, they sent me away and told me to sign up with my local group.... so I have been bounced twice. I am wondering whether they actually want my 'business' or not and am thinking about trying the ROSPA lot who are only a little bit further away, but for whom I have no contact details yet.

Thats not what i like to hear, your local group should be your first point of contact, but it seems they are a bunch of twats ! Id go ROSPA, even though they are further away. Google it and that should get you sorted. Any guidance is better than none, good luck :thumb:D

Every organisation has tossers who purport to represent it and it seems you've been unlucky in that respect!. If you're still interested in joining (and I hope you are) then do so via the IAM RoadSmart website - https://www.iamroadsmart.com -an application that way will be progressed without delay and your details passed directly to your local group (what happens then is up to their local procedures, but in my group you would be contacted within a few days). HOWEVER - it may be worth watching and waiting as there are often seasonal special offers will could reduce the price of the Advanced Rider package .... Stop Press: it seems there is a 10% discount available at the moment

Back
Top Bottom