IAM training/"making progress"

I think you might struggle to find a trainer that condones 'speeding' on the public highway whilst you are under their 'instruction'. .

Not good for business if your brand gets prosecuted for a speed or safety related matter.

Part of any course will include assessing when an overtake is 'on' and when it isn't.
This is called restraint and its really, really important.

When you have mastered that, and everything else, how fast you ride is entirely up to you.

Roddy is the best “bang for your buck” option that you could do. Intense and enjoyable at the same time. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perish the thought, the great god making progress no longer exists.

Rain, surely not, more like Scottish sunshine

I can recommend Get2Grips and slightly biased EDAM who are a very friendly group of motorcyclists.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Sounds a bit cheesy to me....

Get2grips is top of my list, whilst I don't spend all day at a million miles an hour, hopefully any training would be reflect local "conditions". Most bikes skip cars on their way from Tyndrum to Glencoe and vice versa, on the big straights and with an early morning big cars get a proper move on. They aren't doing 60....am sure Roddy will work it out...

Sent from my Moto G (5S) using Tapatalk
Average speed camera's are going in from Lix Toll to Tyndrum

A lot of people may ride at a gazillion miles per hour, very few can do so safely.

It's speed appropriate for the conditions that matters.

A lot of people may ride at a gazillion miles per hour, very few can do so safely.

Didn't know that, shite section but at least you could get thru it quickly, guessing they'll be rear facing to

This is called restraint and its really, really important.

When you have mastered that, and everything else.......

:beerjug:

One of the things I often talk about to my guys on Rapid courses, is the Devil and the Angel that sit opposite one another on everybody's shoulders.

The classic example is being in, say a 30, and seeing the NSL a 200m away. I want my guys to stick to 30 all the way to bang on the sign before dropping a gear and going.

Invariably, the devil on one shoulder is nagging you to go now .... 'FFS .... there's nothing about ... there's nothing behind you, there's nothing anywhere !.... lets go now - it really doesn't matter for the sake of 200m !!'

The Angel, should always over-rule the Devil .. 'Wait! Wait for the sign ... I know its boring, I know there's feck all about, but wait ... '

It's got nothing to do with obeying the letter of the law and being an anal fecker and Ooooooo doing 35 in a 30. It's got everything to do with creating and building an internal discipline and a bikers mindset, that keeps you alive. It's about dismantling any part of your character that has the ability to say ... 'Ohhh fuck it .... just go for it .... ' (and we've all got that ... God knows I have!).

If you build and condition that discipline in you, then the things on the road that whisper and call to your Devil, (lairy overtakes with absolutely no chance of getting back in if something appears, hunting down the bloke half a mile in front at all costs, sailing into a bend waaaay too quickly but ... 'fuck it .... we'll get around somehow ... '), those things won't kill you, because you're discipline won't let it happen.

You can still spank your bike, and be a great, quick rider, but .... it's disciplined.

:thumb2

One of the things I often talk about to my guys on Rapid courses, is the Devil and the Angel that sit opposite one another on everybody's shoulders.

The classic example is being in, say a 30, and seeing the NSL a 200m away. I want my guys to stick to 30 all the way to bang on the sign before dropping a gear and going.

Invariably, the devil on one shoulder is nagging you to go now .... 'FFS .... there's nothing about ... there's nothing behind you, there's nothing anywhere !.... lets go now - it really doesn't matter for the sake of 200m !!'

The Angel, should always over-rule the Devil .. 'Wait! Wait for the sign ... I know its boring, I know there's feck all about, but wait ... '

It's got nothing to do with obeying the letter of the law and being an anal fecker and Ooooooo doing 35 in a 30. It's got everything to do with creating and building an internal discipline and a bikers mindset, that keeps you alive. It's about dismantling any part of your character that has the ability to say ... 'Ohhh fuck it .... just go for it .... ' (and we've all got that ... God knows I have!).

If you build and condition that discipline in you, then the things on the road that whisper and call to your Devil, (lairy overtakes with absolutely no chance of getting back in if something appears, hunting down the bloke half a mile in front at all costs, sailing into a bend waaaay too quickly but ... 'fuck it .... we'll get around somehow ... '), those things won't kill you, because you're discipline won't let it happen.

You can still spank your bike, and be a great, quick rider, but .... it's disciplined.

Excellent :beerjug:

Didn't know that, shite section but at least you could get thru it quickly, guessing they'll be rear facing to
Not sure yet; it relates to one ksi incident where the moron turned right into the petrol station, whilst arguing with his girlfriend over who was buying the soft drinks, and sort of never saw the motorbikes because he didn't look.

Speed was totally immaterial to the incident. Luckily the air ambulance was called and they survived.

They sit on the long downhill straight before Lix and catch lots of speeders, wonder if that'll continue.

How true

Whilst I agree in principle, and totally ...

If there are three or four cars behind you, or just one car for that matter, matters not, whatever, everything else is totally safe, no houses, no drives, no hand held radar ... I'd be watching that car behind, his driving manner ... I'd pre empt the situation and build my speed up before the NSL and go for it, rather than go through the NSL with the feckwit along side me, and then have to despatch him :D

Just sayin' like .... but then I'm 'old school' :rob

Whilst I agree in principle, and totally ...

If there are three or four cars behind you, or just one car for that matter, matters not, whatever, everything else is totally safe, no houses, no drives, no hand held radar ... I'd be watching that car behind, his driving manner ... I'd pre empt the situation and build my speed up before the NSL and go for it, rather than go through the NSL with the feckwit along side me, and then have to despatch him :D

Just sayin' like .... but then I'm 'old school' :rob

Yeah yeah yeah ..... :D

My point is not the 'mustn't speed' at any cost thing, it's the internal discipline thing, and yes .. if I had somebody up my chuff with 200m to go, i'd wind it on as well. (Well lets be honest, if i'm on my own, i'm probably not doing 30!). But that aside, its a good test of character and mindset for the students.....

some more top points there Giles....you need to think about writing books ,they would sell easy enough for sure.

Not sure yet; it relates to one ksi incident where the moron turned right into the petrol station, whilst arguing with his girlfriend over who was buying the soft drinks, and sort of never saw the motorbikes because he didn't look.

Speed was totally immaterial to the incident. Luckily the air ambulance was called and they survived.

They sit on the long downhill straight before Lix and catch lots of speeders, wonder if that'll continue.

It was just outside Crianlarich that a car uturned in to a guy we happened across last year and died, again, speed wasn't the issue.

It's a **** of a boring stretch of road and gonna be ten times more boring with fecking average cameras.

They are in place already and only cover half of that section from Crianlarich to lix toll

some more top points there Giles....you need to think about writing books ,they would sell easy enough for sure.

I concur.

(don’t want to embarrass the 2 well-kent gentlemen above, but I usually take their advice as Gospel. And have copy / pasted more than one of their previous epistles)

Yeah yeah yeah ..... :D

My point is not the 'mustn't speed' at any cost thing, it's the internal discipline thing, and yes .. if I had somebody up my chuff with 200m to go, i'd wind it on as well. (Well lets be honest, if i'm on my own, i'm probably not doing 30!). But that aside, its a good test of character and mindset for the students.....

:D

Ha! Well you did well to remember that one ..!!!

It was all the rage at the very start of my career, so telling a stroppy kid "You have much to learn, Grasshopper" got a laugh, took the wee bugger down a peg without humiliating him AND showed you were not totally archaic!

Currently looking at taking some advanced training early this year up in sunny scotland (ok, it might rain). What are the roadspeeds that folks travel at on these training courses ?
Is everything expected to be below 60 in NSL zones, or is it real world...occasionally over 60....

If you opt for IAM, you will be expected to remain within the Speed Limits.
I'm told that RoSPA think a little differently but I've no First Hand Experience of the latter.

Back
Top Bottom