Found another Guzzi for fettling

wrinkleyowlie

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
When I'd finished the renovations on the 1200 sport, I came to realise that it was something I really enjoyed doing.

I initially intended to keep the 1200 sport, but if it was something I intended to do again I realised I would need to sell the Sport to fund the next project.

Well, the sport went of to Wales and I started looking for my next project. My next project ended up chucking the money I'd received for it into swapping my 2015 GEN1 Explorer for a new 2017 GEN 2 Explorer... must say, no regrets, what a stonking bike.

Anyway, started to stash a bit away with the intention of being able to start looking for a project around September. Then, as inevitably happens, I came across a 2009 Stelvio which I kept being drawn back to.

It's a 2009 with 41k, full service history, but like the 1200 sport has not been looked after and looking a little sorry for itself. It's had 2 sets of tappets done and was finally converted to Rollers about 2yrs ago and has only done 2k mls since then.

Took a bit of a punt and will not see the bike until it's delivered to me on 10th July. So, we'll see then if I've got my crossed fingers burnt or got an absolute bargain. Full MOT, so I'll run it for a while just to make sure it's worth chucking time and money at.

I enjoyed your 1200 Sport project. Looking forward to this one.:beerjug:

...and don't forget to have the tank graphics done the right way up.:D

I enjoyed your 1200 Sport project. Looking forward to this one.:beerjug:

...and don't forget to have the tank graphics done the right way up.:D

I'm enjoying the 1200 sport ' project';)
looking forward to seeing the stelvio project

Steve does a beautiful job:cool:
I'd have no quarms about buying a bike from him

I'm enjoying the 1200 sport ' project';)
looking forward to seeing the stelvio project

Steve does a beautiful job:cool:
I'd have no quarms about buying a bike from him

I wish he'd do a project on a California 1100EV, I rather like those.

Evening. Well the Stelvio was delivered to me on Monday and it was looking a little sorry for itself, but it was Joanne's graduation on Monday and It came with about 10 mins to spare before we had to set off, so I chucked it in the workshop and off we went. Flippin long drawn out affairs those graduation ceremonies.

So, I've had yesterday and all day today to have a ride and a good look around the bike. I'm very pleased to say that for once I believe I've got an absolute bargain.
It runs as sweet as a nut and very quite, gearbox is lovely, handles nicely, fuelling not so good in traffic, which is a well know idiosyncrasy, but easily rectified.

I've started giving it a bit of a clean and it's coming up quite well. There appears to be a slight oil leak somewhere on the nearside, which I think may be the barrel. It definitely needs a new rear shock, and some attention to the front suspension, i.e. dust covers, but I'll rebuild the front forks whilst they're off the bike. One or two brackets need a lick of paint and a few bolts replacing.

It's been serviced by Guzzi dealers till 24,000mls and independents since then, now on 41,000.

My initial intention was to strip the bike down to engine and frame,and renovate or renew as I rebuilt it, also to change the colour. As of now my thinking is to do a bit of a rolling renovation replace the suspension and just generally tidy it up.

But, knowing me I'll ride it for a couple of months, then next thing I know it'll be in a thousand bits in the workshop.:D

... There appears to be a slight oil leak somewhere on the nearside, which I think may be the barrel. ...
I may be totally wrong :nenau but - often a leak around there is just coming from the breather pipes leaking - lift the tank and you'll see.
Pics please - Cant wait to see this Beasty :bounce1

Well I've spent the last few days giving the Stelvio a thorough clean and inspection and it's coming up a treat. Sadly whilst engaged in said cleaning I've discovered that the offside 'Rhino horn' clamp on the front wheel spindle is cracked. This was a fairly common problem with the earlier Stelvio's which was due to the pinch bolts being over tightened.
I did ask the seller before purchase if this area was ok and he assured me it was. To be fair it did take a thorough clean and close inspection to notice the very fine crack which extends from the outside of the fork leg to the first pinch bolt hole.

Purchased unseen....only myself to blame.

Not sure if it's possible to weld this bit (cast aluminium) some say it is others say not, I'm going to have to do some research.
Look for a used one...could take forever.
Just swallow deeply and purchase a new lower leg....don't even want to think about the price of that one.

Bit disappointing, but not the end of the world and I already like the bike...a lot.

Any ideas warmly welcomed.

You'd do worse than to pop an email off to Pete at Reboot
Link

If you have the time, hang on for a salvage item

Buuuump. Having a lockdown Guzzi read through. Where did you get to with the Stelvio??

Sent from my SNE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Can’t have too many COVID Guzzi Threads. Here’s a few pics of my mates current project...
62f198634ce2dfa1a3531a4a1e217589.jpg

6a2edf396d7ba56e0846e848f461386b.jpg
8b44e799025ff3bf9446ee6563486d7f.jpg
893539b1044168a39d577ef2876b76ec.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Another ...

IMG_2294.JPG

He’s starting to panic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You’re getting distracted, like me, too many bits of bloody dismantled motorbikes all over the place :doh

Been there, done that.. :blast

On my Convert, 2nd SP3 & the Strada...

Attachments

• 20190425_171217.jpg
    20190425_171217.jpg
    241.1 KB · Views: 147
  • Screenshot_20200510-234900_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200510-234900_Gallery.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 154
  • Screenshot_20200510-235241_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200510-235241_Gallery.jpg
    231.1 KB · Views: 155