R1200GS ABS bypass

Quick addendum to this thread,

I have a servoectomised 2006.

If the rear ABS sendor fails, it does not switch to the front one.

Now i'm not sure if this is applicable to all lobotomised unit's, as i dont know who performed the procedure and what sparkery stuff they did.

Just one to be aware of .

Mart

The rear ABS sensor is the speed sensor. If your speedo works immediately the sensor is working fine. If your speedo does nothing for a mile or two then comes on (like magic), it's switched to the front sensor so that must also be working.

If you get intermittent brake failure warnings, check the speedo sensor and its connections. They are pretty unreliable for something costing over £100 to replace.

Not fussed about ABS switch - was just asking if anyone else removed.

Speedo working fine - just mixed opinions on whether front sensor takes over from back sensor if back sensor fails.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

When the back sensor fails, the front sensor takes over speedo duties.

If you are riding along the speedo will stop for a while then come back. If you are cold starting, you have no speedo for the first mile or so.

I don't know what it does if the electronics see an ABS error at startup. Maybe the speedo then works immediately.

When the back sensor fails, the front sensor takes over speedo duties.

If you are riding along the speedo will stop for a while then come back. If you are cold starting, you have no speedo for the first mile or so.

I don't know what it does if the electronics see an ABS error at startup. Maybe the speedo then works immediately.
If you have no speedo at start, you have no speedo period!

Remember i you have had a servoectomy, each time you start the bike, its logging the faults to the ZFE.
It may well be because these faults are present the front ABS/speed sensor takover dosent happen.

I could be the front sensor is duff?, it could be the way the electronics were cleaved - who knows :)

Back to the OP - bikes had one of two warning symbols on the Kombi V1 ABS V2 ((i)) both mean the same. so dont worry about what you have displayed.

Mart

Makes sense.

Mine (later type) is acting up again. Speedo works fine but after about a mile the warning light clicks on. I will have to refit the older speeedo sender and see it it behaves differently.

Whats annoying is the sensor is nothing special,

Its a simple magnetic field sensor, T

A wire coil around a magnetic core

The holes in the reluctor ring interrupt the magnetic field, causing a pulse

Its a part that will cost literally a fiver to produce.

Look at the mark up!

Hi everyone. Sorry for bringing up this old topic.

Have a few BMW already, got myself and some friends preparing a trip to africa next year. Therefore I bought my first GS 1200 (a 2004 one) with alredy a ABS bypass. Im OK with not having ABS, really botters me is the constant abs flashing lights. What is the easiest fix? Again im ok with not having abs at all, i knew this problem before bought it, but the flashing lights are annoying.

Thank you

Direct brake cable connection

I'm joining this thread 3 years since the last post, but was hoping to get some advice. I have a 2006 R1200GS with the servos. They are intermittent so am going to do a bypass.
I have watched videos and read posts and was wondering the following:
Can I not disconnect the entire ABS unit and simply install brake cables directly from the wheels to the reservoirs as per normal brakes on some bikes? This instead of using the connectors from Motorworks. I have two cables I can use, but if it's not recommended, I'll go ahead and order the parts.
Thanks!

Whats annoying is the sensor is nothing special,

Its a simple magnetic field sensor, T

A wire coil around a magnetic core

The holes in the reluctor ring interrupt the magnetic field, causing a pulse

Its a part that will cost literally a fiver to produce.

Look at the mark up!

these are in fact very special.... its specially developed copper that deliberately corrodes to a perfect timeline, you install alongside a diagnostics systems that doesn't understand which end of the bike is at fault and you can steal another 500 from the customer when diagnosing strange failure modes

I did a servosectomy on my 55 plate 1200GS a few years ago. The ABS wasn't playing up but I didn't want to run the risk of it failing mid tour somewhere. It's a relatively simple exercise to do and 'YES' get rid of the ABS pump and save a couple of kilos that sits fairly high up centre of gravity wise. In short, it was one of the best mods I have done to my bike. The brakes have far more feel than before and if you need to stop quicker just squeeze the lever a bit harder. With the ABS I found it a touch grabby. As for the safety aspect of ABS... I never manged to trigger it anyway. I must ride like a granny.

I am just reading this thread for the first time (10/21). The ABS II module failed in my 2007 R1200 GS and there is apparently no way to fix it. I had hoped to follow the directions posted here to bypass the ABS module completely. However, I was told that I cannot disconnect the wires in the electronics "box" on an ABS II module, like you can in an ABS I module Can you confirm or deny this?

I am just reading this thread for the first time (10/21). The ABS II module failed in my 2007 R1200 GS and there is apparently no way to fix it. I had hoped to follow the directions posted here to bypass the ABS module completely. However, I was told that I cannot disconnect the wires in the electronics "box" on an ABS II module, like you can in an ABS I module Can you confirm or deny this?

Its not ABS II :rob

ABS II was a very simple system where the brake levers only activated the rspective brakes and teh pressures were controlled by two big plungers that worked off electro Magnetic clutches and gave a characteristic clunk clunk from under the tank as you pulled away from anywhere , It is the ANS system before the Servo Assisted or Integral ABS or Whizzy Brakes, became the normal about 2003

It may be the Next version of integral ABS from 2006 onwards, which lost the "servo assist" and had a different pump module with no reservoirs

Usually the fault with that version is that the Brushes on the ABS motor stick and give you a fault for the motor no circuit

I heard that there was a cure using a Mk9 fiesta ABS pump motor and graft it into the ABS unit

I found one and after Much phaffing around! :blast:blast:blast I did this mod for a pal and It worked fine and is still working :rob

You do NOT need to re-pipe the brake system IF you have the later POST SERVO ASSIST ABS Unit You just live with the red ABS LED

If there are no brake fluid reservoirs on your unit it is the Post servo assist unit !

As said in the post above - do you have the servo/abs or the plain ABS ?…. Servo/abs needs to be removed if it fails as the brakes barely work, the other can be left in place as it has no effect on the braking.

Back
Top Bottom