Alternator belt (elast)

Norbsa

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I notice when looking for a belt for my 07 1200gs that there seem to be two continental 4pk 611 and 4pk 611 elast.I've fitted non elast as I had one for my 1150 spare.What is the significance of Elast (stretch?why?)
Now fitted seems very tight but perhaps that's normal?
Thanks..

They are very tight. The higher power alternator has a smaller pulley so needs a shorter belt. I've no idea what the "long" and "short" measurements are.

I asked ContiTech the same question after getting myself more than a little confused about belts and their various designations. Here's the reply -

"The Elast designation on a Contitech belt is to show that it has elastic cord members in the belt, this allows the belt to be fitted by stretching into place without any tensioning device or moveable pulleys. Not all manufacturers, especially OE, clearly show on the belt label if the belt is elastic and this can cause confusion. This is especially important as Traditional and Elast belts cannot be interchanged.

To add to the confusion some manufacturers use the production length as the part number and others use the fitted (stretched) length. Because of this it is important to use the cataloguing system to identify the correct belt and not to use the numbers from the old belt.

The Contitech belt will show for information both production and fitted lengths so the belt that you have will be:

4 [number of ribs] PK [rib profile designation] 592 [fitted length] (582) [production length] ELAST [elastic belt brand name]

I have been told previously by our product managers that BMW always gives the production length for elastic belts while we always give the fitted length as our primary number.

The BMW belt 4PK592 equals our 4PK611 (592) ELAST. Production length in brackets.
The BMW belt 4PK582 equals our 4PK592 (582) ELAST. Production length in brackets

Please also note that in many cases a special tool is required to install the Elast belt correctly without damaging the belt or pulleys.

I hope this helps you to identify the correct belt for your bike.
"

Pete

How does one know what's fitted without dismantling to see? Is there a BMW date of changeover?

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

There's not much to 'dismantle', just the plastic cover to take off - took me 5 mins, even though the top 2 screws are a bit fiddly. At least by checking the one that's actually fitted, you can be sure what replacement you need.....unless, of course, its got the wrong one on anyway! :D

Pete

Well I'm still confused!Am I going to cause damage having fitted a traditional belt(non elastic).MotorWorks seemed to think it ok.The belt went on with a bit of a struggle and without using a special tool.

I don't know what was fitted originally as it was completely destroyed.

Mine was, I just had to turn the engine over a bit till the number became visible - nice and clear.

Pete
Thanks Pete, I will take the cover off soon and replace mine, it's not actually due but peace of mind etc 😆

Sent from my SM-T560 using Tapatalk

Mine was on 30k miles, it looked as good as new when I took it off! There's a very short video on YouTube showing how to wind the new one on using a spanner on the bottom pulley nut - it really is as easy as it looks. But....I had a bit of a faff getting the belt to sit fully in the top pulley, there always seemed to be one rib outside the flange, if that makes sense. Anyway, after 6 or 7 fitting/removing cycles, and much cursing, I tried winding the bottom pulley in the opposite direction.....it went straight on, properly! :D

Pete

How does one know what's fitted without dismantling to see? Is there a BMW date of changeover?

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

There is no change date as they've never changed them.

There's a long belt 592 and a short belt 582.

The difference in length is because the alternator pulleys are different diameters on different models.

I would think Motorworks know what they're talking about. Perhaps the 'logic' is that a standard 611 is, in effect, at the same fitted length as a 592ELAST once that's fitted. Then again, unlike Motorworks, I don't know what I'm talking about.... :D

Pete

Be careful, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing..... the 1100/1150 models use a belt which is 611mm fitted length and nothing to do with the "611" designated number for the 1200 models but looks exactly the same.
Hence the confusion with suppliers not familiar with BMW models supplying wrong belts.

I fitted a lower power alternator to the GSA. £35 against HOW ****ing MUCH!!! It needed a longer belt bought from Motorworks.

The old alternator pulley retaining nut absolutely would loosen so just used the longer belt. The old alternator was left in the garage & now totally seized sold.

Looking through the Continental website and the vehicles listed against each belt here is what I have found:
* 4PK592 ELAST - suitable for R1200GS (and ADV) 2004 - 2012
* 4PK582 - not suitable (they only list Volvo's as being compatible)
* 4PK611 - suitable for R1150 GS/RS/RT & R1100 GS/R/RS
* 4PK611 ELAST - R1200 GS/GSA/S (2004 - 2012) & R1150 GS/GSA/RT/RS (2002 - 2005)

Here is the link so you can run your own search: https://www.continental-engineparts...IC-Product-Information-Center-1/?lg=en&artnr=

Back
Top Bottom