Garmin is shite. Get it off your chest here.

I've not used my laptop (macbook) for months. Don't even have a lead to hand,as laptop only has USB-C port and XT ships with old style USB cable,so actually it's quite onerous and I won't be bothering.

I agree - don't bother.

I never bothered to register my XT.
Just had a look and it tells you to use Garmin Express to register devices,so I assume you have to then plug the XT in to your laptop/computer.

What is the point of this when the benefit of the XT is updates etc are all done over wifi. I remember now why Garmin are so shite and I switched to Tom Tom.

So can you register the XT without having to plug it in ?? Ta.

Yes, you can.

Zumo xt mounts faulty

Yes, you can.

Give me a clue then as I can’t find a way and neither can Garmin :

Edited to add.

Just had another look on Garmin website and a chat function popped up.I was told you can only register a device by plugging it in.

3cf9c32b1da690a736d83fc3f64f21ab.jpg

Useless !! Garmin really need to join the modern world with their product support.

I've not used my laptop (macbook) for months. Don't even have a lead to hand,as laptop only has USB-C port and XT ships with old style USB cable,so actually it's quite onerous and I won't be bothering.

Seems ridiculous that Garmin can't update their website so you can register a product by inputting the serial number,like most other items .I could understand if you had to update the device by plugging it in,but you don't !!

I have noticed that you only seem to get the 'Cyclops' camera updates through express & not the unit itself, you may want to take the trouble to register it.

When I bought the 396 there was an offer, in Italy, where Garmin gave you a voucher for a free map when you registered the device.

Incredibly they didn't check:

– where you bought the device (UK in my case).
– email addresses registered with the device already (ie: if you were asking for the voucher multiple times).

I have Northen USA, Northen Africa and another set of map I cannot recall... :D :D :D

Very kind.
But I do have an adaptor lead somewhere .
My point is,Garmin have developed a new sat nav that lets you update mapping over wifi and plan routes and send over wifi yet the only way to register it is to plug it in to a PC or laptop.
That’s the only time you’ll ever need to.Some people don’t have a PC or laptop.I never use my laptop these days.

So you can buy an XT and use it fully but can’t register it unless you own a PC !!

Garmin ways are mysterious.

They tend to fuck even the simplest thing.
I hope their aviation devices work in a smoother way. :)

Give me a clue then as I can’t find a way and neither can Garmin :

Edited to add.

Just had another look on Garmin website and a chat function popped up.I was told you can only register a device by plugging it in.

3cf9c32b1da690a736d83fc3f64f21ab.jpg

Useless !! Garmin really need to join the modern world with their product support.

It helps if you chat with someone there that knows their arse from their elbow.

https://support.garmin.com/ms-MY/?faq=qnAPeyQFWf0M2pbcIDbrh9

Edit - you may need to restore the device to factory settings, as you can only register it over WiFi when you set it up for the first time. Or it may be too late now.

If anyone is going to know about sat nav help desks it’s going to be Nutty so I’d take his word on this subject.

It helps if you chat with someone there that knows their arse from their elbow.

https://support.garmin.com/ms-MY/?faq=qnAPeyQFWf0M2pbcIDbrh9

Edit - you may need to restore the device to factory settings, as you can only register it over WiFi when you set it up for the first time. Or it may be too late now.

Ok,ta for that.
I don’t recall seeing an option to register on initial set up otherwise I would have done it.
I found my laptop adaptor cable this morning so have plugged the damn thing in to register it.

Garmin is not so shite, it seems...

Ha ha.
Their website is certainly shite and their staff dont even know the products as shown by the ‘chat’ I had and was told that you couldn’t register via wifi.

I have no idea how Nutty found that page he linked to as I’ve just tried again and even if you type in “register a device via wifi”, it doesn’t bring up that link.

Ha ha.
Their website is certainly shite and their staff dont even know the products as shown by the ‘chat’ I had and was told that you couldn’t register via wifi.

I have no idea how Nutty found that page he linked to as I’ve just tried again and even if you type in “register a device via wifi”, it doesn’t bring up that link.

I (a non-XT owner) found it by asking Google for:

Register Garmin XT wirelessly

Four words. It might be possible in three, it often is. I didn’t even complete the word, ‘wirelessly’ as Google threw up choices for me.

I suspect these new devices are more than some can manage..... :augie :D

:beerjug:

i typed this into google, register a garmin zumo xt device via wifi, and hey presto as if by magic, the very first link takes you to this page below.

https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=qnAPeyQFWf0M2pbcIDbrh9

I (a non-XT owner) found it by asking Google for:

Register Garmin XT wirelessly

Four words. It might be possible in three, it often is. I didn’t even complete the word, ‘wirelessly’ as Google threw up choices for me.

I suspect these new devices are more than some can manage..... :augie :D

:beerjug:

You two know the rules of UKGSER. You NEVER use Google. ALWAYS come on here asking instead. :rob

Back
Top Bottom