Garmin is shite. Get it off your chest here.

Response from Garmin today..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200715-223939.jpg
    Screenshot_20200715-223939.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 153
I reckon that my Zumo has just about had it. It will tell me of a turn 10km ahead but not 400m ahead.
Worthless rant I know but I had to get it off me chest.

Anyone else pissed off at Garmin?

Or is it only me?
I ordered my XT last year, immediately after they announced. I've been positively impressed (considering... Garmin...) with it. Used it to travel through Europe last summer. So far so good.

Then came the firmware and software updates and the pain started.

Maps on your computer saga: managed to fuck up pretty well a good portion of a trip last month + made planning with Basecamp (as I lamented on this forum and on Garmin's own) a bloody pain.
I've been unable to use the Zumo for proper route planning since beginning of the year, if not for A/B navigation just providing a destination as in "go to postcode".

Zumo unable to boot: this, admittedly, is an issue with my unit. It did it a few times after the firmware update. It happened while traveling and I've been able to successfully reset it and make it work. Then it started again some weeks ago and I couldn't fix it. Spoke with Garmin that suggested to send it back for replacement and told me that, because of Covid, their return times would be slightly longer: 5 to 10 days.
They received the Zumo in May. Still no replacement sent.
I spoke with Garmin support today and they candidly admitted that they don't have any Zumo stock to send me another one.
One I asked them to give me a timeline, they said "maybe end of June". I pointed out they should have informed me before that, as I need the GPS in the near future. You know... to use it on the motorbike.

If I knew all this crap, I'd have insisted more on trying to fix the unit myself (connect to the computer, force another firmware update, I dunno...).

At the moment I spent 450 odd quid for a sat nav that worked as intended about half of the time I actually owned it.
Is there any point in asking for a refund (long shot) another replacement unit? An upgrade?
It's not much about the money... it's just... I want a modern* fucking working GPS.

FFS I've been very understanding regarding Garmin product over time but this is becoming a bit of a joke.
A shame, because they almost got it right this time.

Using my 60csx a the moment on the GS... and it is actually doing a decent job considering... :D

Or is it only me?
I ordered my XT last year, immediately after they announced. I've been positively impressed (considering... Garmin...) with it. Used it to travel through Europe last summer. So far so good.

Maps on your computer saga: managed to fuck up pretty well a good portion of a trip last month + made planning with Basecamp (as I lamented on this forum and on Garmin's own) a bloody pain.
I've been unable to use the Zumo for proper route planning since beginning of the year, if not for A/B navigation just providing a destination as in "go to postcode".

Zumo unable to boot: this, admittedly, is an issue with my unit. It did it a few times after the firmware update. It happened while traveling and I've been able to successfully reset it and make it work. Then it started again some weeks ago and I couldn't fix it. Spoke with Garmin that suggested to send it back for replacement and told me that, because of Covid, their return times would be slightly longer: 5 to 10 days.
I spoke with Garmin support today and they candidly admitted that they don't have any Zumo stock to send me another one.
One I asked them to give me a timeline, they said "maybe end of June". I pointed out they should have informed me before that, as I need the GPS in the near future. You know... to use it on the motorbike.

If I knew all this crap, I'd have insisted more on trying to fix the unit myself (connect to the computer, force another firmware update, I dunno...).

At the moment I spent 450 odd quid for a sat nav that worked as intended about half of the time I actually owned it.
Is there any point in asking for a refund (long shot) another replacement unit? An upgrade?
It's not much about the money... it's just... I want a modern* fucking working GPS.

FFS I've been very understanding regarding Garmin product over time but this is becoming a bit of a joke.

Using my 60csx a the moment on the GS... and it is actually doing a decent job considering... :D

If you’re stuck, I have a 590 you are welcome to borrow till you get your unit back. Latest maps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personally, i'd be asking for a refund

whether you want it or not.

sometimes playing nice dosent get you anywhere

Or is it only me?

I threw my Garmin bike nav down the road in frustration last year near Mont Blanc.

I've always found bike Garmin's hugely frustrating but put it down to operator error because others seem to like them.

Just bought a Garmin dash cam on recommendation which so far is doing everything it should.

Tom Tom 550 has replaced the Garmin bike nav now.

I threw my Garmin bike nav down the road in frustration last year near Mont Blanc.

I understand this.
I'm ok with the (sometimes) twisted ways Garmin products work (I own a few). I can live with that, my conscious decision.
In this case I feel I've been sold something that straight up doesn't work as intended because of buggy software release or Garmin not having sorted out their stock considering how many faulty XTs are being sent back.

whether you want it or not.

I see what you mean.

ask for a refund if you can.

Purchase a used galaxy s9 and quadlock kit and purchase tomtom go. (12.99 PA for tom tom) - S9 is waterproof and has a fantastic screen quality. There are others.. Power via a usb lead

At most it will cost £250 - probably closer to £200 if you shrewd.

Do not require a sim card - Worldwide maps are downloaded. You can plan routes via their web interface, curvy routes the bollox and send it to your phone.

Had a nav 4 & 5 and will not go back to a dedicated satnav.

Upgrade to a s21 ultra this week and will be using tom tom go on that.

I have no intention of using mobile phones as sat navs. I wanted a dedicated unit & software & maps. I was thinking (before and while this happened) either Montana or 66sr for a button operated unit.
Sadly, Garmin has dominance in the market.

But this is another topic altogether.

I was perfectly happy with the XT as it came initially.

I understand this.
I'm ok with the (sometimes) twisted ways Garmin products work (I own a few). I can live with that, my conscious decision.
In this case I feel I've been sold something that straight up doesn't work as intended because of buggy software release or Garmin not having sorted out their stock considering how many faulty XTs are being sent back.

I see what you mean.

You should read the Montana 700 forums and FB pages if you really see how ‘buggy’ that is

The XT is positively glowing in comparison

Ah!

Yes, I’m currently reading that thread on Advrider (I saw a couple of your posts in there) and realising it.

I've been OK with mine. But found out it's easier to use other route planners to create your route and then export it wirelessly to the XT via Drive.

I use MyRouteApp and the Harley Route Planner, then just shoot them to Drive and they autoload to the XT. Quite why Garmin can't do this is beyond me. There is no reason to have to physically plug a device to the computer these days. But sitting in a bar of an evening and planning the next day's route on MRA or HDRP and queuing it to be sent to the XT the next time it gets turned on is good.

I do find Garmin's search approach to be hugely frustrating though. I find myself entering postcodes into the "Where To" search and it always fails. But go to "Enter Address" and it works fine. Some joined up thinking on search is required....

I have had failed (stalled) firmware updates, but when I have power cycled everything it has always resumed and finished.

All in all, I have had a pretty good experience with it as a standalone nav - but some major workarounds that I have had to learn to live with it properly.

I have no intention of using mobile phones as sat navs. I wanted a dedicated unit & software & maps. I was thinking (before and while this happened) either Montana or 66sr for a button operated unit.
Sadly, Garmin has dominance in the market.

But this is another topic altogether.

I was perfectly happy with the XT as it came initially.

Then carry on being frustrated.

That will probably be my main option sadly.
Again, it is another topic, but I prefer to stick to dedicated units for the same reasons Berin listed toward the end of his (excellent) thread where he compared most of the navigation options available at the moment between GPS units and iPhone/Android apps.

I'll try to get Garmin to either refund me or send me back my original XT. Or talk to a consumer association. :D

Back
Top Bottom