Chain lube

Tacho D

Reaction score
Hi guys, I got spoiled with my previous bike in that it had a Scotoiler. Now I have to spray the chain, but I found since I last did that many years ago there appeared a big variety of lubricants for chains that didnt exist before. Dry chain lube, chain wax, chain cleaners ETC. Do any of you have preferences as to which is best considering I may be doing some green laning now and again? :confused:

S-Doc and Wurth get good recommendations, but the low-fling/wax type always seem a bit of a compromise - compared with the ones which I think, penetrate better.

S-Doc and Wurth get good recommendations, but the low-fling/wax type always seem a bit of a compromise - compared with the ones which I think, penetrate better.

I agree - thought a low fling was doing a great job on my old 'Busa. Only a few marks on the rim after a run. Then I found the stuff did fling, but only around the front spocket, out of sight. After a few hot summer runs, it would proceed to drip down onto the garage floor & across the NS pipe. It was a horrible mess to clean up. I like the s-Doc products too, but am currently using Putolines finest, which penetrates well between the links/o-rings & truly seems to make a noticeable difference when freshly applied.

I use Wd40 Chain wax on my chain and have had no issues even with the torrential rain we get up here. Fully recommend.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

SDOC100 white chain wax/ lube, and their chain cleaner are the best products I've used. The chain wax doesn't fling AT ALL; I've tested it in the rain yesterday, and the chain is still nicely coated.:thumb

I have actually stopped using my Scotoiler as I found (desptite adjustments etc etc etc) it only really lubed one side of the chain and the other side went rusty. And even with the correct drip rate there was still some fling at the rear, but a lot more at the front sprocket where it would gathter and run down the centre stand on to the garage floor, and also collect under the gearbox.

I now use the Wurth drylube - its a good price compared to some of the others, and has kept my new chain in perfect condition - no fling at all. Nothing. Clean as a whistle. Love it.

Thanks guys for the advice, I just ordered some of that Wurth dry lube. Seems to get good reviews, and i like the idea of 'dry' as there is less chance of muck and sand sticking to it when I'm green laning. When the weather turns during the winter months I might be tempted with something stickier like the S Doc 100.

Thanks guys for the advice, I just ordered some of that Wurth dry lube. Seems to get good reviews, and i like the idea of 'dry' as there is less chance of muck and sand sticking to it when I'm green laning. When the weather turns during the winter months I might be tempted with something stickier like the S Doc 100.
The dry stuff washes off at the first sign of water
so a few miles in the rain will take its toll on the chain

If you can stand a bit of fling in the winter/wetter times PJ1 Blue label is the way to go

Other than that the SDOC stuff is the best of both worlds

Don't lose sight of the purpose of the Lub.

All very well - looking at the chain side plates and seeing a nice white wax - but the rollers and sprocket could be dry as a nun's wotzit..........

The dry stuff washes off at the first sign of water
so a few miles in the rain will take its toll on the chain

Thats not my experience at all. I find it very persisitant, and in fact when you have to eventually clean the chain you need a good solvent to make it shift. (Wurth drylube that is, to be clear)

I had a chain driven bike for just over 2 years. I initially used MucOff chain wax. Not impressed with this stuff as it is difficult to tell if the chain is lubed as it seems invisible once the solvent has evaporated. I bought the bike in 1st week of March and used it for commuting in all weathers so an aerosol became a PITA.
I then fitted a Tutoro auto oiler. Used this for 16,000 miles, never adjusted the chain between services and tyre changes. Sold the bike with the original chain still in place. I think I cleaned the chain about 3 times with paraffin. Twice, when the weather was really chilly so lots of road salt I gave the Tutoro a boost as the oil was not flowing well. I simply used my workshop oil can (one operated by a thumb lever) to lob on a bit of extra oil - you would need to do this if using an aerosol.
For me, liquid oil, applied regularly whether by hand or by an auto-oiler is the best lube. It flings but this then takes shit away from the rollers and seals. It is not sticky so rinses off easily with a bit of paraffin. Chains love and last for tens of thousands of miles if bathed in oil.

Chainsaw oil is another cheap and good lube! I have a small tub and an old sawn short tooth brush to apply it.

Buy another Scotoiler.. then you dont have to worry what you put in,

apart from the same stuff you used to put in before :)

Don’t bother. Chain maintenance does more for the maintainer than the chain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Really,
Think about it guys,
You spend good money on an o’ring,x,ring chain.
The chain is sealed for life,once the seals fail,the chain is scrap soon after.
Keeping it clean and the seals wet is all that’s really important.
A Scott oiler is good cos it essentially washes the chain,but as said it makes a mess.
Any sticky lube will just turn into a grinding paste.
I just give the chain a good lashing with wd40 after wet rides to stop it rusting.
Wurth dry lube to lubricate the chain against the sprockets when at home.
On tour or extended green laneing I carry a small bottle of engine oil and lube with that daily when doing other checks:thumb

I can remember when I was a small kid my dad taking his chain of his bike and putting it in a flat round tin with what looked like grease in it and putting the tin on the gas cooker ring and boiling it I can still remember the smell in the kitchen my mum would go mad at him.

Back
Top Bottom