R80g/s Push Rod oil seal replacement

Well, job done....no drama...left the cylinder in the bore and didn't have to turn the oil seals on reassembly....and now no leaks. Also adjusted the end float both sides....quite surprised at how much quieter the motor is.

Why....have I done something wrong....is my bike about to explode!......been out for a couple PDF hours and given it a good thrashing.....seems ok (that's done it).

Why....have I done something wrong....is my bike about to explode!......been out for a couple PDF hours and given it a good thrashing.....seems ok (that's done it).

No I am sure you have done everything perfectly.

But when they are properly adjusted all round, they do make a bit of noise - a little bit of clatter on an airhead isn't always a bad thing.

Put a stethoscope, or a large screwdriver, on to the rocker box and to your ear - you should be able to to hear the tappets clicking.
Or remove the rocker box and and check things by feel - there should be just a smidgen of end float on the rockers and a decent bit of play in the tappets, cold and hot.
Remember the drip tray.
I always check them this way before I put the rocker boxes back on----.

Just to be clear....when I said the motor is quieter, this is relative....things still rattles away like an airhead should.

Thanks Beemerboff. Just to reassure myself went back to check things out and slight end float play....rockers move freely..double checked valve clearances and all seems good.

Thanks for the advice all....got to a good result. No oil leak and smoother motor = happy bunny.

BTW, if anyone wants to borrow a star pannier for the headers anytime for the cost of postage...let me know.

Cheers

BTW, if anyone wants to borrow a star pannier for the headers anytime for the cost of postage...let me know.

Cheers

I'd say you could even just store them in a cardboard box, no need for some fancy pannier to store them in.

I'd say you could even just store them in a cardboard box, no need for some fancy pannier to store them in.

Fecking predictive fecking iPad shite..... of course I meant spanner....not pannier. Thank you Mr Murr.

Doing this very job myself in next week or so. A piece of plastic drainpipe with a big jubilee clip will do for the rings if I bother to remove soon from barrel. I was going to get gasket sealant for the cylinder flange to engine casing but wonder if anyone else bothers, surely the o ring would suffice ?

I should add as I don't think al models have same setup re o rings and all that, I'll be doing it on a 1992 R100GS.

The factory manual for the bikes with O rings still specify its use of 3Bond 1207B at the joint, and motors where I was reasonably certain that it was the first strip from new also had it on the push rod tube seals.

The factory manual for the bikes with O rings still specify its use of 3Bond 1207B at the joint, and motors where I was reasonably certain that it was the first strip from new also had it on the push rod tube seals.

While collecting the bits from my local BMW dealer I asked about which gasket compound to use. They looked at their computer and coukd see a list of associated fluids and other stuff like thread lock stuff for my bike and the only 3 bond one was a 1209, part number 07589062376 so I've bought a tube of that.

In Oz the only one I was able to find in retail size tubes was 1104 NEO PLUS.
Seems to do the job OK.
My bearing factor can order in the other grades, but only in huge tubes which are five/six times times the price of the smaller one.
The 1207B came from the factory manual for the R80 /100 Paralevers, but things change--------------.

Sometimes they leak if you don't use sealant on the base DAMHIK :blast

No I am sure you have done everything perfectly.

But when they are properly adjusted all round, they do make a bit of noise - a little bit of clatter on an airhead isn't always a bad thing.

I learned a hard lesson around 1985/86. Rebuilt my R75/5. Rode up to Ullapool for a beemer club weekend, then a RH rocker arm broke on the way home. I guess my clearance was a bit tight. Was a bugger riding home on a single cylinder 375cc bike with the RH cylinder pumping noisily without a spark plug.

Which is why I always check them by feel on a hot, running motor, cant go wrong and lets you check end float/ oil feed/ whatever too.

Back
Top Bottom