Is my gearbox damaged or are these normal issues?

LukeL

Reaction score
Hi all,

My G650GS has some shifting issues and I'd like your opinions on whether they are normal for this bike or if I likely have an issue... I will be doing a pretty big overhaul of the bike over winter and this will help decide if I have the engine out to check the transmission.

The issues:
- Rarely it will be extremely difficult to get from N to 1st
- N difficult to find 1st>N, I know this is common
- N not possible to find 2nd>N
- False N between 4/5th, scared me a good few times
- Loud whine at ~2000rpm, might not be gearbox related

Any help welcome!

Cheers
Luke

My F800gs adventure has the false neutral between 4/5 and it is quite scary indeed. Sometimes it will fall out of 1st and go into neutral too which is very awkward at junctions. Tacking onto this thread I'd be interested to know if it's normal or something I should get bmw to look at.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I have a 2012 Sertao from new and have had no such issues; guessing you have looked at he basics first, clutch adjusted correctly and chain not too tight.

I had a 2012 g650gs for a year. No problems at all with the gearbox.

Only sold it because the vibrations at 70 were just too much. I have to say I enjoyed the bike a lot apart from the vibes.

My F800gs adventure has the false neutral between 4/5 and it is quite scary indeed. Sometimes it will fall out of 1st and go into neutral too which is very awkward at junctions. Tacking onto this thread I'd be interested to know if it's normal or something I should get bmw to look at.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Totally different bike so I wouldn't expect to learn much from this thread

Hi all,

My G650GS has some shifting issues and I'd like your opinions on whether they are normal for this bike or if I likely have an issue... I will be doing a pretty big overhaul of the bike over winter and this will help decide if I have the engine out to check the transmission.

The issues:
- Rarely it will be extremely difficult to get from N to 1st
- N difficult to find 1st>N, I know this is common
- N not possible to find 2nd>N
- False N between 4/5th, scared me a good few times
- Loud whine at ~2000rpm, might not be gearbox related

Any help welcome!

Cheers
Luke

The whine would be bothering me,
Clutch basket loose allowing gear shaft to float??????
I'd be looking sooner rather than later

Back
Top Bottom