Gael Warnings in West Africa.

Because I don't have the guts to do what you've done I love reading your thread. It's also what this forum used to be, all about biking and a little chat as well. Thanks Simon.

Welcome home Simon, really gonna miss the regular updates & pictures of somewhere warm :aidan

The beard will be grand after a bit of a tidy-up :rob

Thanks for the effort of making the write ups. Like Luke says I don't have the bottle, so crack on, on behalf of all of us armchair adventurers. :beerjug:

What a great read that's been. Very interesting and a lovely distraction from the UK winter! Thanks for taking the time..

cheers

R

Thanks all! Appreciate the compliments.

All good things have to come to an end and this trip was one if them although I hope to resume later in the year🤞🏼.

However my 5 year old passport only has one blank page left so in a practical level I could not proceed more than one visa issuing country further...And in Central Africa they all seem to require visas!

The last free page in my passport:
d5e3f03712983383c7ce990e4a9df1e8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

and that's where this adventure should end (on the last page:D )

New passport, new adventure to be planned.

It's been a great read. Thank you.

Welcome home, Simon..... many thanks for another excellent ride report with some amazing pictures. Looking forward to your next adventure! :beerjug:

Phil

Cheers Phil!
Out today on this
f064171a4a3f0ebc9abc3ab6d0877b5d.jpg
, 150 miles around Dorset, and thinking how great it would be for the next stage in Africa...

Great write up.... Many thanks!
Brings back memories of my trip from Uk to Nigeria on a Fireblade via almost the same route...

one of the best trip reports for a long time,superb pictures, great write up.
All in all a great ride report.....

Roll on later in the year for more...

:bow :bow

:clap :clap :clap

Thanks Ash for your continued support. When you are stuck in the back of beyond, it's great to know people are following your travels.

Ebi, that trip on a Fireblade - respect!

And lest any readers are worried about me abandoning my faithful GS...Here she is all spruced up at Moto Passion Garage in Yaoundé, looking none the worse for her adventures and currently featuring in the 'GS for Sale' section of this noble forum
0124a5019aa474dbf1c40bad56c9d490.jpg

2372581d0f7f76127704d9741a99932c.jpg

So please spread the word to anyone you know who is looking for an adventure!

Brilliant Simon - looking forward to your next adventure
:beerjug:

Simon, I've only just managed to claw my way back to your thread. Been a busy couple of months with a short but challenging trip here in Aus (good challenging), the flu, and trying to fit in some trip planning while the work-hounds bay!

Thanks again for a great account, the way you write really does give one a sense of what it's really like to be there and the effort is very much appreciated.

I've booked my flights and bike shipping to the UK and will hopefully be heading off from London on the 1st of October. Let me know if you and the 690 want to join me and the 990 for the more challenging terrain south of Yaoundé!

OK, back to Duolingo pour moi.

Dave
Good to hear from you again and thanks for your kind words!

Good luck with your preparation and let us know when you start a blog. Where in UK are you shipping your bike in to?

Where in UK are you shipping your bike in to?

I believe it'll be Felixstowe but not 100% sure yet. The agent doesn't want to know me until mid-July when he can actually start booking things in.

I don't have a blog set-up yet. I'll do something, for sure, and will probably post on ADVRider and/or HUBB a bit, too. I enjoy writing a bit but don't want to make a rod for my own back.

Hi there,

I am planning a ride from South Florida to Cape Town starting in March, 2021 after this virus ends and countries open up. I have rode lots of adventures in the past years on my GS's. Last year I rode from South Florida to Thailand -- crossing water from Toronto to London and the rest land. The year prior I rode from Columbia to Chile/Argentina (Ushuaia) and all around South America. On both rides, I was never fearful of my safety -- possibly my riding skills, but never because of conflict in countries. For Africa, I do have some fear sadly. Maybe I've read too much. It seems like the route is all about weaving and dodging around to stay away from trouble. I think you can be helpful if you don't mind. My goal is to do the same route; ride from Miami to Toronto then fly to London and then ride down through Spain to Morocco. From there, I'm kind of lost. Any chance you can share the safest route you are aware of to get from Morocco to Cape Town? Also, which countries require visa's or documentation in advance of the crossings. That usually can be a pain if a visa is needed prior. I hope you can help. Phil.

Excellent trip report, wouldn’t have seen it without the above posting.

Phil:

There is tons of information on your questions on the following forums that I used.

On Facebook: Africa Overland (join the group)

On iOverlander which is a superb free app I used throughout my circuit (picture below)

On Horizons Unlimited (there are regional groups).

The key point is (at least in my experience over 40,000 kms in Africa): almost everyone is friendly and will help you.

So I would suggest some happy hours research on the above sources, and then maybe PM me (or Jim)

There is also a follow on blog: (Gael warnings in the Congo) which covers the rest of the trip
73a25e4ed95f02a97dca9a6ebb86d87a.jpg

Phil

On rereading your post and the specific questions I realise it may seem like I didn’t answer them.

It it’s more that circumstances change...so what worked for me 2 years ago might be different now.

What I would say (having gone through areas that many at a distance advised against) is that local knowledge is better than some government advice from someone at a desk 3,000 miles away. And the internet sources above will give you recent reports from people travelling there.

And don’t be scared away by stories about Nigeria or Angola, for example...both great places to visit.

This is also true about documents: to the amazement of many I did the entire circuit (until Sudan) without a carnet de passage (CPD). So again, check the latest situation...there are a trillion threads on this topic alone in HUBB (horizons unlimited).

End of speech

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom