Technical Issues on 1150 crossing Mauritania

simondippenhall

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Guys:
Background: Today I rode from north to south of Mauritania (500 kms) in heat exceeding 40 C most of day. Riding 2003 1150 twin spark.

The issue:
At one point the fuel light came on when the tank was half full. After a stop (not a refuel) it went off.

An hour later, riding at an easy 3,000 rpm, the red battery light came on and the engine cut out. After coasting to a halt, turned off ignition and then I restarted it and it ran faultlessly for the next 140 kms.

There are no signs eg flickering Garmin of a loose battery connection although I shall check this tomorrow when it gets light.

Anyone suggest what might be happening or what I might check?

Thanks for any help. I have also posted this on the technical forum for oil heads.

Simon

Might be better posted on The Bikes, Oilheads section.
Very best of luck

Indeed it has... despite some interesting recurrences in Mali and then Senegal, the bike made it to Cameroon where I shall be rejoining it in a fortnight to continue travelling South...🤞🏼

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Indeed it has... despite some interesting recurrences in Mali and then Senegal, the bike made it to Cameroon where I shall be rejoining it in a fortnight to continue travelling South...🤞🏼

Good luck with your onward travels Simon, I look forward to your RR as ever :thumby:

bce0d0ebef5f2f916a68c8b7b006b24a.jpg

I was clean shaven too.....

Thanks all! Will start a new ride report once I get underway.

Sometimes when you're knackered from a day of Swiss alpine passes and have sucked down a few beers you're instinct to help a GSer in need out runs your ability to check dates. It happens.

Good luck with the new trip, Simon.... I always look forward to reading your reports! :beerjug:

Thanks Barak666.

I must admit there was a point this morning when I though I was going to have to cancel the whole trip .........
as I could not find a lid to fit my trust travel sandwich box.

Fortunately with the help of SWMBO a fit was located and with that sorted
5d334e281d4060a1619d00dc340ce06b.jpg

along with my National Trust flask for my cuppa en route
3c16a2f6d31cef16a8497b48cbcd79b0.jpg

I feel almost ready for the off, even though my DRC Vida application has got lost somewhere in Kinshasa.

Once I am a couple of sleeps away from the start on Tuesday night I will kick off a ride report

Simon

Back
Top Bottom