Nordkapp via Adversity....

How did you manage to have so much luggage on the bike? When I first saw the pic of the bike loaded to the gunwhales and beyond, I had assume that it was all camping gear. But you were staying in cabins and hotels. It looked very top heavy

On reflection, did you feel that you took too much stuff?

Enjoyed that guys thank you. :clap

I was one of those poor unfortunates who only saw Nordkapp shrouded in cloud and mist on my recent trip. :D

Your RR just makes me want to go back again next year. :thumb2

How did you manage to have so much luggage on the bike? When I first saw the pic of the bike loaded to the gunwhales and beyond, I had assume that it was all camping gear. But you were staying in cabins and hotels. It looked very top heavy

On reflection, did you feel that you took too much stuff?

The lomo bag on the top box contained just camping gear, two sleeping bags and a small backpacker tent for emergency use. Although we stayed in huttes, you need your own sleeping bags.

Ironically the only gear we didn't use, was the electric clothing....pretty much just down to how good the weather was. The bike was too top heavy - in hindsight we should have not used the top box and just used the Lomo bag. Something we'll do for future trips.

What a great read to start my weekend, well done to you both. The problems, accidents and slip ups are frustrating at the time but always looked back on as a positive when back in our homes. You rightly say you saw and experienced great things due to the delays you had, what a wonderfully optimistic couple you are :inlove

All the best for the future and thanks for taking the time to post.

JimmyMac

What a really nice write up, next trip already planned ?

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk
Thanks for the comments. We're discussing options for next year although nothing of the scale of Nordkapp. Certainly another trip to Norway in the next few years to do the things we had to miss this year.

Thanks for taking the time to put together.

Some really good photo's there.

Well, that's at least two trips badly affected by final drive failures this year. My trip wasn't as ambitious as yours, but it was the first time we'd been able to do a longish trip together for several years - it's not like we get the chance to do this sort of thing every few months. I assume you had the complete FD replaced; mind if I ask the total cost? Did you experience a different level of BMW dealer customer service than that you're accustomed to with UK dealers? (I certainly did!)

Enjoyed that guys thank you. :clap

I was one of those poor unfortunates who only saw Nordkapp shrouded in cloud and mist on my recent trip. :D

Your RR just makes me want to go back again next year. :thumb2
Thanks Tricky...we were thinking of your ride there, and how lucky we were with the weather. The locals reckon September is usually good weather, but it's a bit of a lottery.

What a great read to start my weekend, well done to you both. The problems, accidents and slip ups are frustrating at the time but always looked back on as a positive when back in our homes. You rightly say you saw and experienced great things due to the delays you had, what a wonderfully optimistic couple you are :inlove

All the best for the future and thanks for taking the time to post.

JimmyMac

Many thanks for the comments - glad you enjoyed the report. :beerjug:

Thanks for taking the time to put together.

Some really good photo's there.

Well, that's at least two trips badly affected by final drive failures this year. My trip wasn't as ambitious as yours, but it was the first time we'd been able to do a longish trip together for several years - it's not like we get the chance to do this sort of thing every few months. I assume you had the complete FD replaced; mind if I ask the total cost? Did you experience a different level of BMW dealer customer service than that you're accustomed to with UK dealers? (I certainly did!)

Thanks for the comments. As far as I'm concerned the FD is pretty much the only weak point on these bikes, which is why we replaced the bearing and seal just before we left.

So we were surprised when it went again. I'm going to get it checked out by over the winter to make sure everything is as it should be. The guys at Tromso Motors were first class and couldn't have been more helpful. They are primarily a harley dealership but also sell bmw.

The new FD was an eye watering £1650 fitted. Silly money but cheaper than the four grand Carole Nash wanted off us.

So, may I ask: if you had accident/mechancal breakdown recovery insurance, why did the company involved refuse to recover you? Any pointers we should all take note of regarding checking our cover?

The breadth of cover offered is one of the reasons I am with the ADAC

And thanks for your response to my earlier post. Having re-read what I wrote, I should have phrased it better as I did nt want to come across as in your face. I have a long running battle with both myself and SWMBO to pack light and try not to have every possible outcome covered. Two up, the bike is already too top heavy when manouevering etc

Well that went well, thank goodness for all the planning eh? :D

God bless you both & thanx for taking the time to post it.
Looking forward to hearing more about it on the next brekky do. :thumb2

So, may I ask: if you had accident/mechancal breakdown recovery insurance, why did the company involved refuse to recover you? Any pointers we should all take note of regarding checking our cover?

The breadth of cover offered is one of the reasons I am with the ADAC

And thanks for your response to my earlier post. Having re-read what I wrote, I should have phrased it better as I did nt want to come across as in your face. I have a long running battle with both myself and SWMBO to pack light and try not to have every possible outcome covered. Two up, the bike is already too top heavy when manouevering etc

The problem with most european breakdown cover is they have a fixed budget for total recovery costs - in Carole Nash's case this is 2000 euros.... with Northern Norway being very expensive, they calculated the total cost for recovering us and the bike to be in excess of 6000 euros, so asked us for the difference. I certainly wasnt aware of this budget limit before we went, and they didnt mention it when I rang to confirm their cover of Norway before we left.

It is very difficult to pack for a long trip for two people at the best of times - specially as in our case we had to take certain medical equipment with us too. I think the mistake I made was using the top box - we realised we didnt actually need it and could have managed with just the 60lts lomo bag - reducing weight and pack height.

Well that went well, thank goodness for all the planning eh? :D

God bless you both & thanx for taking the time to post it.
Looking forward to hearing more about it on the next brekky do. :thumb2

Thanks Bill.... I'll bore you with more detail at the next breakfast meet.

Hey fellow Nordkappers :thumb2:thumb2
Thoroughly enjoyed you Ride report ,some cracking pics there .
I rate the country as one of the top destinations for motorcycle touring
Here's a pick of mine in 2up camping mode when we went together
This was stuff for 4 weeks and a full package of camping gear.
We did find cabins for most of the time :thumb2:thumb2
As you can see we split the stuff and carried 2 Ortlieb 24 L rack packe on top of the panniers, bit awkward for the boss lady getting of n on but she got used to it :thumb2.
That's a very interesting issue that has transpired re Carol Nash and the 4000 euros.
In my opinion that 2k recovery limit should be made quite clear ,and not something that has to be found out about " the hard way "
All the best to you both
Sy

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 579
Will do Bill.

I'm flexible on dates etc plus distance and time away (although two weeks is probably max for me at the moment). :thumb2

2 weeks sounds good. Any chance you might be able to hold off until 2019?

Hey fellow Nordkappers :thumb2:thumb2
Thoroughly enjoyed you Ride report ,some cracking pics there .
I rate the country as one of the top destinations for motorcycle touring
Here's a pick of mine in 2up camping mode when we went together
This was stuff for 4 weeks and a full package of camping gear.
We did find cabins for most of the time :thumb2:thumb2
As you can see we split the stuff and carried 2 Ortlieb 24 L rack packe on top of the panniers, bit awkward for the boss lady getting of n on but she got used to it :thumb2.
That's a very interesting issue that has transpired re Carol Nash and the 4000 euros.
In my opinion that 2k recovery limit should be made quite clear ,and not something that has to be found out about " the hard way "
All the best to you both
Sy
Hi Sy,
Many thanks for the comments which are much appreciated. I'll admit to going through your previous ride reports more than once when planning our trip. We totally agree about Norway which is our favourite place to visit on a motorcycle.

We did try using the tops of the panniers to pack stuff on to, but Roz is only 4ft11 and no matter how we tried she couldn't get her leg over the pannier. :D

Back
Top Bottom