Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hiring a wobbly box in NZ recomendations

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAlEly View Post
    Anyone got any first-hand experience of hiring a motorhome in NZ. Like the look of Mighway.com to rent directly from owners etc. I would be going in Jan/Feb 2018. Hiring for 12 days....

Any experience of this or other options would be welcome.

Cheers all,
    You wont believe this but the forum isnt just inhabited by blokes who only get as far as europe.
    If you are flying into Auckland and dont want a pristine camper van then Lucky rentals are spot on and cheap.
    Vans are well serviced but tend to be around 2003/7. I have booked mine for Feb 12th for 2 weeks

Quote Originally Posted by ahebron View Post
    As others have said it is the middle of our summer in NZ.
    Prices will be high as companies fleece customers for their summer holidays. 12 days is not enough to do both islands. Pick an island and tour it then come back and do the other one.
    Even as a local 6 days round the South Island is pressing it and I’ve seen it all several times. Chinese New Year is February 16 and the country gets full for that with companies again fleecing customers.
    Accommodation will be tight in the South Island around the tourist resorts over these months even for wobbly boxes. Wild Camping is frowned on in most of the resorts even for fully self contained vehicles.
    Apart from that it will all be fine.
    Come on over and enjoy but don’t speed as police instigate a 4kmh buffer during large holiday periods.

Adrian
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi66 View Post
    Kia Ora
    Last Xmas I did a quick blat around the South Island from Farewell Spit (top) down west coast to Bluff (bottom) then up east coast. It was a biking trip rather than scenic looksee, and this still took a brilliant 7 days. Accommodation is going to be your greatest concern. Its not only the Kiwis on holiday at this time of year, but everyone wants to join in on the party.
    A lot of councils are really stamping down on this "freedom camping bullshit". Recently the country has had an infestation of generally younger "world-travelers" who believe everything should be free and that its their right to drive in crapped out vans, piss and shit everywhere, dump their trash, and then f...ck off. Councils have begun to listen and are really clamping down - as they are the ones left with footing the clean-up bill.
    Don't let me put you off. NZ is a super fab place to travel especially the South Island (Te Wai Pounamu)by motorhome. And though slightly bias the country is generally safe to travel, roads are okay, and english is fairly well spoken throughout. BUT you are intending to travel at the height of the holiday season and there will be a number of tourist spots which will be populated beyond breaking point.
    For me 12 days would only just be enough for the top half of the South Island or the bottom half of the North (Te Ika a Maui) don't plan to do 1000's of kms but rather plan for heaps of stops where you can experience such things as walking, biking, kayaking etc.
    Hope that helps a little.
    Haere Ra
    Kia Ora fellas,
    The wobbly box is booked... so counting down the days and weeks now. Flying into Christchurch and heading off the next day. Leaving my lad to fix the route, but sticking to the South Island only... thought it would be good to take our time and enjoy it, rather than race around. So, thinking of heading from CC up to Blenheim and picton for the obligatory wine experience for a couple of days then follow the coast round to greymouth area, then cut across down Arthur's Pass, east coast down to Dunedin, Invercargil and then up the west taking in Milford sound, Queenstown and back across to CC having taken in the lakes going up the west side. I so wish I was on the BMW Gsa,, but I guess we can't have it all.... I was interested to read you comments about free camping... no chance of us abusing your beautiful country, my lad is very respectful of your culture and the beauty of the place, he would be so fucked off to hear that his fellow travellers are abusing your hospitality.... if we come across any like that we will give them let em know what we think... your country and welcome should be respected by all...cheers for your comments fellas.. ride safe and maybe I will post a few pics next year....
    Al

Quote Originally Posted by patzx12 View Post
    Loads of time to organise and book.
    Try this:
    https://www.imoova.com/imoova/relocations?region_id=2
    Quote Originally Posted by scotboxer View Post
    Have a look here ... http://www.ukgser.com/forums/forumdi...tion-Continues

Mike seemed to manage fine without a camper. Hiring a car is another option.
    Thnx fellas, all booked up now...

Yeah, I filled Mike's RR, awesome... I would have loved to have done this trip on my GSA, but alas i couldnt convince swmbo to let me and Will hire two bikes and tours with her and my lad's GF on with him.... and camp too didn't see what the problem was

Quote Originally Posted by craig10 View Post
    Been there twice in campervans, once with Wilderness who have now moved to the high end and this year with Kiwi Campervans, both times in a VW T5 hightop.

Not a cheap way to do it, budget on about Ł180 a day all in including your van, insurance, site fees, fuel, food etc but excluding flights.

As advised above, I would stick to doing one half of one island in 17 days otherwise it will feel like a military operation, like you are just on the road all the time. The roads are good but much like Scottish A roads you won't be getting anywhere fast. 250-300km feels like a long day's driving in a 'van.

We never had any bother finding sites, it's best to phone ahead in the morning if you're heading to the tourist spots though.

I can't recommend the Rankers NZ App https://www.rankers.co.nz/about/official-camping-nz-app highly enough as you can download the maps to your device for offline use as phone signal / wifi can be patchy.

At the lower end of the market you will be pretty much 'on your own' once you've left the depot, a quick look at the reviews on Rankers will tell you that.

Free maps are available from NZ Open GPS Project and worked fine in our Garmin. I've got a load of gpx files and other stuff, if you're interested PM me.

Have fun, we absolutely love the place and intend to return once circumstances allow.
    Cheers Craig.. thanks for the steer to The Rankers app.. that looks to to be just the job, especially using offline.... as you may have seen on my other posts, we have wobbly box booked for 13 days, soooo looking forward to seeing my lad, and touring the South Island. I will work on our routes and pm you for your kind offer of the files if I need any. You are a gent....

Quote Originally Posted by Stahlgewittern View Post
    You wont believe this but the forum isnt just inhabited by blokes who only get as far as europe.
    If you are flying into Auckland and dont want a pristine camper van then Lucky rentals are spot on and cheap.
    Vans are well serviced but tend to be around 2003/7. I have booked mine for Feb 12th for 2 weeks
    Thnx bud... all,sorted now... yeah, it seems that some have nothing better to do than spoil your post
    Have a great trip to NZ

Destined to come last Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Im almost jealous - Almost because I’m sat in Hong Kong Terminal 1, just waiting for my flight to Auckland.

Travelling for 2 weeks around the North Island then 2 weeks around the south.
    Hire cars and motels pre-booked, sadly no woobpy box or GSA.

I’ll pass on any tips

Have a great trip

Brian

GSA Triple Black
    VW Crafter camper
    Zagato Guzzi 950 cafe
    Ducati 996R

You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one

This site might be of use
    AA New Zealand calculator

The road between Blenheim and Kaikōura might be fully open by the time you travel too.
    Brian

GSA Triple Black
    VW Crafter camper
    Zagato Guzzi 950 cafe
    Ducati 996R

Quote Originally Posted by Oldrat View Post
    This site might be of use
    AA New Zealand calculator

The road between Blenheim and Kaikōura might be fully open by the time you travel too.
    Im almost jealous - Almost because I’m sat in Hong Kong Terminal 1, just waiting for my flight to Auckland.

Travelling for 2 weeks around the North Island then 2 weeks around the south.
    Hire cars and motels pre-booked, sadly no woobpy box or GSA.

I’ll pass on any tips

Have a great trip

Awesome... beats sitting in the office wishing the weeks away have a great time,

Yeah, I heard that road was out now... fingers crossed. Safe onward journey and a great hols... let me know how you get on

Will do
    Brian

GSA Triple Black
    VW Crafter camper
    Zagato Guzzi 950 cafe
    Ducati 996R

If you decide to do the Scenic Rail trip between Christchurch and Greymouth book it from within NZ its one heck of a lot cheaper. Its a fabulous scenic ride
    Abide with me !

Quote Originally Posted by Old Codger View Post
    If you decide to do the Scenic Rail trip between Christchurch and Greymouth book it from within NZ its one heck of a lot cheaper. Its a fabulous scenic ride
    Thanx for the tip... we had talked about that! Top tip and much appreciated

Doh!
    Ha ha, we’re already booked on that train ride via our tour operator. Thanks for the confirmation about it being spectacular though, I’m really looking forward to it.

Brian

GSA Triple Black
    VW Crafter camper
    Zagato Guzzi 950 cafe
    Ducati 996R

Here’s our route..
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Brian

GSA Triple Black
    VW Crafter camper
    Zagato Guzzi 950 cafe
    Ducati 996R

Apprentice to the Chief Idiot Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Here’s our route..
    Try and get to visit the Catlins if you can when down South.
    South of Oamaru swing out to the Coast and drive through Kakanui its gorgeous.
    Be careful on SH63, its the the alternative SH1 while thats being rebuilt and is not built for the traffic.
    SH1 will be open next month during daylight hours but will not be a fully functioning road for many months.
    And if you have time try see Taranaki in the North Island.

Fatal anytime that is not around Christmas and Chinese New Year or NZ school holidays.
    If away from any of the above very little need to prebook accomodation, just drive till you want to stop then find somewhere to stay.
    Its the way I always travel around the country.
    We did try that in the UK and got a few funny looks when we rocked up to places asking for a place to stay, even though they had plenty.

MikeO wrote the definitive NZ travel guide earlier this year.

Adrian

Here’s our route..
    That route on the South Island is pretty much what we will be doing in the wobbly box.... sooo looking forward to it thank for sharing it, have a safe journey bud

In the North Island, don't miss the Kauri Museum north of Auckland and the drive-up viewpoint at Te Mata hill near Napier.

South Island, the drive up to Mt. Cook but only if you can see it from the main road turn-off and the drive out to Glenorchy from Queenstown are both stunning. There's a drive-up viewpoint at Signal Hill Lookout in Dunedin if you're passing through as well.

Sandflies can be a pest esp. on the SI west coast, a good tip is to take some Bonjela to take the itch out of any bites you might get.

Have fun

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast