New Guzzi V85 looks good.

What an utterly charming and viceless bike. :thumb2 I had an hour on one this morning from Midland Scooters in Nottingham and it was lovely. Gearbox was a dream (after a Ducati), and the only negative I could think of was that the screen on the dash was a little small, and that the power was modest, but lots of bottom end grunt. I think the rev warning lights are set lower until the run service as they came on quite quickly, but other than that it really was a lovely bike. Cruise control as well !

This one didnt have heated grips fitted, but the cylinder heads are in the perfect position at traffic lights :).

I have a real problem with screens with almost every 'adventure' styled bike I have tried, but this one (with the short screen) seemed pretty good with a little more noise, but no buffeting.

RBW.

I really hope that Guzzi do well with V85 sales , back in 2011 I had a extended test on a Stelvio NTX a bike I really wanted to love, the finish and comfort were excellent but when stuck in traffic in hot weather it soon sounded like a bag of nuts and bolts in a tumble drier and the gear selection started playing up plus the front end was far too soft and wayward .......a real shame

Sat here pondering, as you do. It then struck me that in many ways the TT is not dissimilar to the 1100gs, my favourite of all the GS's.
Very similar power and torque outputs at very similar revs. Almost identical wet weights with similar seat height, and fuel capacity.

Obviously things have move on in the last 20years and you could argue the TT is a much better bike than the 1100GS. What actually got me thinking about this. Well, reading all the reviews and comments, as you do when you've just ordered a new bike, It struck me that many folks don't really ride this bike as it was intended. As with the early GS's it has to be ridden in a certain way. It won't thank or reward you by honing it into bends and ragging it to the next one. As with the early 1100's it needs to be ridden on the torque with nice subtle gear changes, let it waft from one bend to the next, slow in roll it out, you'll be surprised how quickly you can cover the ground.
it may not be a big block Guzzi, and it does spin up quicker, but I felt it was best when ridden like a Guzzi.

Gooner……..got to agree it would have looked better with twin clocks, but to be honest I struggle these days to read analogue clocks.

I did sell it.
Spent a month looking for something to replace it with. It seems only people that have owned a Crosstourer know how good they are.
Found a nicer one. Half the milage. Year younger. Slightly better condition. Same colours plus the Honda spots.
So had to have it.

Think the new guzzi looks good in the pictures. But I still like bikes with weight and power. Guzzi with luggage and some bling is going to be around £12,500. Personally think that’s too much.

Yep , the CT is a bloody brilliant piece of kit. I’d done 50k on my 2011 GS before it had to go and the CT was for me was a kind of cheaper way of buying another GS abut as soon as I got it home I realised how much better it was put together and sort of over engineered , hence the extra weight. With a preferred budget of around £10k whatever I buy next I’ll still be having to spend quite a bit to change for what will probably be in many ways an inferior bike :(

I love the look of that Guzzi though :blast :p

In Toulouse for the weekend meeting up with our son and partner. Spent some time yesterday at the bike shops which are very sensibly all in the same place. I did contemplate booking a test ride on the TT but in the end decided not to bother and didn’t bring any riding kit with us. But had a good look around the Guzzi, KTM’s offerings etc. I have KTMs and an old Guzzi back home along with airhead gses. Even so the 790 looks a step too far for me in styling terms but the Guzzi looks rather like a modern day airhead - fit for purpose, robust and without too much extra crap that is neither going to enhance the ownership experience or make it more reliable. Will have to make arrangement to test ride one soon.

For once the motorcycle shops here have sufficient stock of good quality helmets and other riding gear to allow us to try stuff and find something that suits so bought a couple of J cruise helmets.

One already needing recovery
63a24d0f562f6f4962660b2aedd72a91.jpg

Sat here pondering, as you do. It then struck me that in many ways the TT is not dissimilar to the 1100gs, my favourite of all the GS's.
Very similar power and torque outputs at very similar revs. Almost identical wet weights with similar seat height, and fuel capacity.

Obviously things have move on in the last 20years and you could argue the TT is a much better bike than the 1100GS. What actually got me thinking about this. Well, reading all the reviews and comments, as you do when you've just ordered a new bike, It struck me that many folks don't really ride this bike as it was intended. As with the early GS's it has to be ridden in a certain way. It won't thank or reward you by honing it into bends and ragging it to the next one. As with the early 1100's it needs to be ridden on the torque with nice subtle gear changes, let it waft from one bend to the next, slow in roll it out, you'll be surprised how quickly you can cover the ground.
it may not be a big block Guzzi, and it does spin up quicker, but I felt it was best when ridden like a Guzzi.

Gooner……..got to agree it would have looked better with twin clocks, but to be honest I struggle these days to read analogue clocks.

I don't think you'd have to argue the point about whether it's a better bike than an 1100GS, technology (even "old school" technology) marches on. Though of course time will tell with reliability and build quality. Not that I'd hold my then-nearly new 1100GS up as a paragon of either (corroding wheel rims, magnets detaching from starter motors, bubbling paint etc), my next two 1150GSs were much better in my personal experience.

I understand your comparison though, the swiss army utility of the Guzzi, all round ability and (perceived at the moment) toughness?

Not sure about "identical wet weights" though, love to see an 1100 or 1150gs tip the scales at 505 lbs with a 90% full tank? Motorcycle Consumer News weighed the 1100 at 575lbs and the 1150 at 581lbs with full tanks! I rode an 1150GS only last week for about half an hour, and I'd forgotten what tanks they were (albeit very accomplished tanks!) The V85 I sat on at the dealers 2 days later felt at least 60lbs lighter, albeit it had an empty tank. That's partly what attracts me to a V85, I want more of the eagerness and back road goodness of my old Cagiva Elefant :bounce1, and less of the "doesn't it hide it's weight well" abilities of my old oilheads and Stelvio.

Custom crash helmet :cool:

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1554804406058.jpg
    FB_IMG_1554804406058.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 599
  • FB_IMG_1554804410238.jpg
    FB_IMG_1554804410238.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 579
Went to look at a TT today at Midland Scooters - didn't have a ride as I was just down visiting my mum and didn't have any kit but the chap in the dealership was very helpful and I was impressed with the 85TT in the flesh, looks well finished and put together. Bit disappointed with the wobbliness of some of the switch gear but as long as they work and keep working I guess they're fine. Very comfortable riding position.

Currently own a 67 plate 1200GSA rally with hilltop and akropovich full system so I'm a bit anxious about the performance drop having said that its not all about out and out speed so I will booking a test ride to see if I like it as much as my [very old] formerly owned V50 Mk3. There is something about the power delivery and feel of a V twin that I miss, the GS is brutal (some would say typically German) but lacks that certain something that my V twins had.

Good looking bike but that colour scheme is horrible.

having seen it, ridden it and written about it, the yellow scheme is actually okay in the flesh - there is a grey version for the conservative but I think the red/white will be most popular

having seen it, ridden it and written about it, the yellow scheme is actually okay in the flesh - there is a grey version for the conservative but I think the red/white will be most popular

It’s by far the biggest seller.
Guzzi have done the other colours to cater for converting GS riders who like drab and mundane...

The red and white one is nice as is the solid red one - agreed the yellow and red and white looks a but lego like

Andy at Teasdales in Thirsk, informed me they have already sold and delivered 14 of the yellow bikes, with another seven in various colours on order. Apparently I'm the only one to have ordered Rosso Kalahari up to now.
He was also saying that in all his years selling Guzzi's, the V85 is by far the most popular launch model and could well be their best ever selling bike.
It's going to be very interesting to see what else comes along that's based on this engine. I have a feeling there could well be a Le Mans style bike and something else, possibly on the lines of the V7.
All power to Guzzi, it'll be nice to see what they develop when some real money starts coming in. Could mean I'll have to keep on working to keep my bike fund topped up.:green gri

I really like the red white yellow Kalahari it looks great but the red white red (Kalahari Rosso) looks just as good and I would choose it just to be a little different as 90% of the ones you will see on the road will be the RWY .

Much as I like it having seen one in the flesh but not [yet] had a test ride I'm concerned that some reviews seem to indicate a lack of ground clearance with pegs scraping when taking advantage of the slick handling. Has anyone experienced this?

Back
Top Bottom